XR650R sound level?

19 replies to this topic
  • PBR_StreetGang

Posted April 09, 2005 - 08:37 PM

Anyone know if the stock 650R exhaust will pass a 92dB test? Have a D/S ride coming up where they will be checking...

• wsmith

Posted April 09, 2005 - 08:42 PM

Absolutely... I also have the stock pipe with the HRC tip and have never had a noise problem on any of my dual sport rides or enduros...

• froride1

Posted April 11, 2005 - 03:23 PM

I have a stock pipe with the HRC tip and in measured 94db. Which is fine out here in California, the law is 96 db. The stock tip should easily be under 92 db.

• TimBrp

Posted April 12, 2005 - 03:16 AM

Wow I'd imagine the stock pipe with HRC insert would be much louder. Any other guys been tested with theirs? What were the readings and was the reading done properly?

• froride1

Posted April 12, 2005 - 09:32 AM

I was surprised too. It was measured by the rangers at Hollister Hills. They used the method used all over California. Check this site out, it has actual measured sound data for different bikes with different pipes. http://ohv.parks.ca....p?page_id=23038

• SaltyWalrus

Posted April 13, 2005 - 06:16 AM

I had mine tested an a NETRA Turkey run in Massachusetts with the HRC tip in. They used something like 30" away (not sure of actual distance) at a 45 degree angle back from the exhaust tip. They asked me to rev to mid rpm range. I tried to hold back, but it was probably around 3-4000 rpm. It registered a 102 db. They tried it a couple times and shook their heads. I had the stock tip with me, but they let it go with warnings about strick enforcement in the future. I went back to talk to them later as there were about 3 other XR650Rs there. They said all the BRPs with the big open tip (HRC tip) were over 100db. Just seat of the pants opinion, it sounds like an honest 102. No way it's under 96. I don't know how they are testing out in California. I have to find a pipe to use as a downspout as I want to reduce noise but don't want to restrict flow.

• Miker

Posted April 13, 2005 - 06:42 AM

I have a stock pipe with the HRC tip and in measured 94db. Which is fine out here in California, the law is 96 db. The stock tip should easily be under 92 db.

:naughty: :D :naughty: :cry: :D :D

• TimBrp

Posted April 13, 2005 - 06:45 AM

Yeah I knew it wouldn't be under 100. I think InChanWeTrust said he registered at 100db's just above idle. Someone in KaliFornIa is testing wrong. NETRA is extremely strict though. BrianVT made a downspout for his salty and stated it helped alot. I'm sure it re-directs the sound towards the ground which would muffle the testing results a bit.

• pb1963

Posted April 13, 2005 - 07:19 AM

Did someone go through and get an average value on all those stock pipes? My neighbor has a PC T-4 on his and it is way louder than the HRC tip. So if the HRC tip is 100, whats that make the T-4, 105? From the BRP's that I've heard out here in the desert, the HRC tip is one of the quitest pipes. Just my .02.

• froride1

Posted April 13, 2005 - 07:29 AM

I don't know what to tell you but thats what my bike measured at. Here is the test procedure and this is how they tested my bike and how they test all bikes in California. http://www.ohv.parks...1287_199807.pdf
One difference from what SaltyWalrus said is the RPM. The test is at a certain RPM depending upon the bike, not just sort of hold it at mid RPM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pb1963

Posted April 13, 2005 - 07:33 AM

All right, I was curious. I took and averaged the stock pipes from that link. I only used the ones that said 650R. While some of the bikes listed as 650's may have been R's they could have also been L's. Also, I only used bikes that were over 90, assuming that under 90 would have to be the stock tip, not the HRC. With 11 bikes I came up with 94.4. Quite the scientific study if I do say so myself!

• SaltyWalrus

Posted April 13, 2005 - 08:07 AM

What link? Where are you getting data from?

I read the California testing method. Sounds identical to the one used here in Mass. 20" distance, 45 degree angle, bike held steady at 1/2 of max rpm.

Unfortunately, I believe the testing I had done. Bottom line, the bike is loud with the HRC tip.

Thanks for the info about the downspout, TimBRP. The sound test guys said they make a big difference.

• TimBrp

Posted April 13, 2005 - 08:37 AM

No prob man. So when we having a New England BRP trench digging contest?

• pb1963

Posted April 13, 2005 - 09:49 AM

This link: http://ohv.parks.ca....p?page_id=23038
Click on Honda and scroll through it until you get to the 650's.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 13, 2005 - 10:13 AM

What link? Where are you getting data from?

I read the California testing method. Sounds identical to the one used here in Mass. 20" distance, 45 degree angle, bike held steady at 1/2 of max rpm.

Unfortunately, I believe the testing I had done. Bottom line, the bike is loud with the HRC tip.

Thanks for the info about the downspout, TimBRP. The sound test guys said they make a big difference.

Unless you had a tach hooked up to your bike you have no way of knowing if you were at 1/2 of the maximum rpm. Remember the XR650R has a rev limiter and it you held your throttle 1/2 open assuming you were at 1/2 of it's max rpm your test is invalid. Any testing organization that does not take the actual max rpm and then divide it in half and then hook a tach up to your bike to complete the test is bogas.

• froride1

Posted April 13, 2005 - 11:36 AM

They use a tach to make sure your bike is at the correct RPM. Check the data on the link pb1963 posted it lists the bike, what pipe the bike has and the measured DBs. Of the 650R's listed with a stock pipe or stock with HRC baffle the loudest is 97db. Most 650Rs I see that have the stock pipe have the HRC baffle. I have been tested twice and passed both times. Most places I ride my bike is rarely the loudest, most CRF450's and YFZ's are much louder than the HRC baffled 650R.

The original question was will the stock pipe with stock baffle pass a 92db sound check, answer yes.

This is just my experience and your mileage may vary.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 13, 2005 - 11:58 AM

They use a tach to make sure your bike is at the correct RPM. Check the data on the link pb1963 posted it lists the bike, what pipe the bike has and the measured DBs. Of the 650R's listed with a stock pipe or stock with HRC baffle the loudest is 97db. Most 650Rs I see that have the stock pipe have the HRC baffle. I have been tested twice and passed both times. Most places I ride my bike is rarely the loudest, most CRF450's and YFZ's are much louder than the HRC baffled 650R.

The original question was will the stock pipe with stock baffle pass a 92db sound check, answer yes.

This is just my experience and your mileage may vary.

I had no doubt about the stock baffle off the showroom floor passing. The bike is very quiet but guttless in it's stock form. I have been told by guys following behind me (I'm fully uncorked) that my bike is very quiet. Of course on Mountain trails or steady moderate pace in the desert your not pushing the bike even to 50% of it's rpm. I carry a Baja Designs baffle in my truck for the day they start enforcing sound in Washington. Right now i would first have it tested without the baffle cause it might pass and definately will with the baffle.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted April 14, 2005 - 09:16 AM

Now that I think of it, they had me blip the throttle repeatedly towards 1/2 max rpm, not hold it steady. That could have played a role. Still want to get a downspout. I don't think soundtest guys would appreciate a rider telling them how to do their test.

TimBRP, let me know when you are going riding, and I will do the same. Eventually, we should be able to hook up this year!!! I want to see all the new goodies you have been lavishing you bike with!

• TimBrp

Posted April 14, 2005 - 09:40 AM

She's lavished man, unlike my damn wallet...oh well.

• PBR_StreetGang

Posted April 14, 2005 - 07:11 PM

Wow - I've been away from my computer too long and missed all the action on my own thread. That's good news on the stock tip. The BRP I recently purchased has the HRC hi flow S/A tip, but the PO cut out the screen! Maybe that's why it is loud, as I cannot believe it would test in the mid to low 90's. I sure wish he hadn't cut the screen out. Since that tip had very long tapered "cone" of screen, I haven't figured out how to fabricate a replacement and tack weld it back on. I guess he needed that last little bit of HP hiding in there...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.