Dust to Glory!!!

24 replies to this topic
  • pchansen

Posted April 09, 2005 - 10:21 AM

Saw this film last night. AWESOME!!!! You need to see this film. It's a documentary on the 2002 Baja 1000. Endless minutes of XR650's dominating the race! Incredible footage.
http://www.d2gfilm.com/ :naughty:

• justicedone

Posted April 09, 2005 - 11:07 AM

I think I read a while back it was done by the daughter of the original producer of the classic "On any sunday" and that she shares the same vision and style. Should be twEEEEEt.

:naughty:

I may be confusing it with another film, but it sounds cool indeed. That new 700KTM looks lethal in the Baja though.

• zooboy

Posted April 09, 2005 - 11:53 AM

Saw the film last night...it was incredible. The producer is the son Dana Brown. I was lucky enough to go to a premiere in th LA area and got a autographed poster from Mouse McCoy...going to get it framed!

Where do I get a look at that 700KTM.

• jws

Posted April 09, 2005 - 06:53 PM

I just got back from seeing it :naughty: Great movie - a must see :naughty:

• justicedone

Posted April 09, 2005 - 06:57 PM

I saw the 700 KTM in the latest MX mags, its got mad crazy 130+mph balls and stretches your limbs like 3 inches with power on... the riders said, scary fast.

• sgifford

Posted April 09, 2005 - 08:21 PM

I saw it last night. It was very good. I thought bikes might get less coverage than the expensive cars and trucks, but the bikes actually got the most coverage. Incredible action watching the XR650's flying across the desert!

• cryptojunkie

Posted April 09, 2005 - 08:29 PM

Just watched the trailer....going to see it as soon as I can!!

Don't know if you guys saw 'Step Into Liquid' by the same director(s)...but it is also a must see. (surfing film, the last part is worth the wait)

• mmxr650r

Posted April 10, 2005 - 12:41 AM

Saw it here in Phoenix tonight...! Awesome footage, and very well done. This isn't your ordinary off road DVD...Very professionally done...I'll be going again when it is "generally" released (April 15th, here in Phoenix)...

• loufish

Posted April 10, 2005 - 07:17 AM

We had a party of 18 last nite see the film, at a little theater in Pasadena, the Rialto. LOVED it! All those with us remember going as a group to see On Any Sunday, and it brought back that feeling...
Although I've never raced Baja as a rider/driver, I have crewed/chased for both a class 1 unlimited car, and a motorcycle team down there...brought back some flashbacks!
Long live the Baja King....the XR650R!

• D36 Transplant

Posted April 10, 2005 - 08:43 AM

I saw DtoG on Friday night. I too was surprised by the amount of bike coverage. Dana Brown must be really good buddies with Mouse McCoy to get that kind of coverage. But, I can't imagine racing 1000 miles and part of it at night. That guy is a stud.

What did you guys think about the portrayal of Johnny Campbell in the movie? I thought it made him look bad, and the audience was rooting for Andy Grider the whole way. Good thing is, all of the course cutting will end this year with the transponders. It will be an equal playing field now.

Other than the '02 1000, how much Baja experience does Ricky Johnson have? He talked like he has been competing in the race for the last 20 years.

Go check it out!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaBoundMoto

Posted April 10, 2005 - 01:05 PM

[quote name='D36 Transplant']
Other than the '02 1000, how much Baja experience does Ricky Johnson have? He talked like he has been competing in the race for the last 20 years.
QUOTE]

I thought that was strange too. RJ did race a class 8 for Chevy around '95-'96 and has raced bikes a few times down there too, but not like he's an old vet at Baja. Still, it's RJ, he's an incredible rider.
There were quite a few people in it who talked like they were the old pros that are relitively new guys.

The main footage of the race was from the '03 - 1000.

Dana is the son of Bruce Brown, not daughter.

• XRoverall

Posted April 10, 2005 - 03:20 PM

Even my wife liked it! But how they could leave out Mike's? I have stopped there on every trip to Baja on a motorcycle. Does anyone remember Ramon? He was the bartender/general manager for Mike for years.

• sgifford

Posted April 10, 2005 - 05:27 PM

I didn't think it made Campbell look bad. Maybe I'm not very familiar with the race rules, but it just seemed like he had a good strategy to try to make up time if he was running behind. It was awesome seeing him flying along the beach at 100mph.

It was even more cool to see Andy Grider stay in front in spite of the 'short-cuts'!

The movie has made me ponder whether I need another mid-life crisis. :naughty:

It would be cool to run the full 1000 miles, just competing against the clock, no-one else.

Seldon

• Moredesert

Posted April 10, 2005 - 06:45 PM

I saw the 700 KTM in the latest MX mags, its got mad crazy 130+mph balls and stretches your limbs like 3 inches with power on... the riders said, scary fast.

I'd be scard to ride a KTM that fast too :naughty: If you want to go fast ride a XR650 for a 100 miles WFO.

I saw D to G last night too :naughty: I saw a lot of places I've been before. Now I want to race the 1000 again. Did you see the silt beds? Man, try doing that at night after a truck goes by. That is scary. You fall down in that stuff and you may not find your bike before it gets run over.

• loufish

Posted April 11, 2005 - 02:02 AM

how much Baja experience does Ricky Johnson have? He talked like he has been competing in the race for the last 20 years.

RJ has been racing for years with several truck teams, including the Pro-Truck class...

• jaybert600

Posted April 11, 2005 - 07:13 AM

I knew it was good when it held the attention of both my five-year-old son, and my two-year old daughter.

My comments on the movie are;

It appeared that team Honda was competing with itself (Campbell and Grider)
Is Mouse McCoy human? (I can't comprehend 1000 miles on a dirt-bike in one day)
Two of the best scenes are the restart of the trophy trucks after they are all pulled over by the local cops, and when Campbell and Grider are close (the pitstops, silt and the beach)
Overall, an awesome documentary on the toughest race on earth.

• blockpass270

Posted April 11, 2005 - 01:44 PM

McCoy IS human, San Felipe Bob is not:

http://www.off-road....2000b2k/wrapup/

3/4 of the way down on the right (image)
"Ivan Stewart wasn't the only "Ironman" at the 2000. "San Felipe Bob" covered the course sans partner, and crashed from exhaustion a mere 1/8th mile from the finish line. With just enough left in him to make it, he crossed the line none the worse for the wear."

• hurricane jonny

Posted April 11, 2005 - 02:32 PM

I checked all the theaters in my area and it's not playing anywhere. :naughty: Why is that? Will it be a while before it reaches some theaters or will i have to buy the DVD? I probably will anyway. I really want to see this flic!!!

• Desert426

Posted April 11, 2005 - 03:31 PM

Not that I'm a huige RJ fan, but he has been to Baja and else where racing trucks. I pitted with the Vortec team for two years when RJ was sharing driving duties with Brian Stewart (Ivan Stewarts son) in a Chevy Trail Blazer Trophy Truck.

As for Johnny Campbell though, the rules state "Any driver/rider can vere 50ft to either side of the marked corse to pass". I would guess he was more like 500ft! :naughty: I was glad to see Grider stay in the lead, the guy hauls. :naughty:

• jlpskydive

Posted April 11, 2005 - 04:00 PM

Does anyone know where or if it's playing near Greensboro, NC? I have been watching the trailer for over a year now. I've gotta see this soon.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.