Oil leak behind front sprocket

11 replies to this topic
  • Scott

Posted November 02, 2000 - 02:41 PM

OK, I had an oil leak coming from behind my front sprocket. I changed the oil seal and it still leaked. A few of the forum guys said that I may have tore the new seal since they are fragile. So, I bought another one and tried again. Leak is still there! Son-of-a-@$#%!!

In looking at the diagram on HLSM's site: http://216.37.204.3/...99WR400FLC2.GIF

I see that there is a collar listed that I do not have on my bike. I have an aftermarket 13 tooth sprocket that came with the bike, but no collar. Could this be the cause of the leak?

Also, can I replace the bearing from this angle or do I have to get at it from the other side (inside the transmission)?

Thanks in advance.

-Scott

------------------
99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Uni filter,E-Series pipe,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,lights removed,YZ tank,13 tooth sprocket

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 02, 2000 - 02:58 PM

Wow Scott, Im sorry to hear of your troubles. I would have thought another new seal should have done the trick since you didnt lube up the first new one you put in.
I had the exact same problem and a new properly lubed seal solved the problem on the first try. I cant imagine what would be the problem now.

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

• Hick

Posted November 02, 2000 - 03:35 PM

If your bike is missing the collar that could conceivably permit the seal to allow oil to get by it. Perhaps the collar is designed to keep the seal in place on the shaft (from the “it must be there for SOME reason” dept.).

I’m sure you know this but the seal goes in with the label/markings/letters facing out.

Sorry, you have to split the cases to R&R the bearing, and may need a press as well (pretty soon I’ll know for sure).

Buy the collar and hopefully this will fix the leak.

Good luck bud.

• MotoGreg

Posted November 02, 2000 - 05:09 PM

Uuhhhh... doesn't the sealing lip of the seal ride on the collar? If not, then what is it sealing against? Can't very well seal against a splinded shaft now can it? Hard to tell in that pic but I'd say that is how it is supposed to be.

1. Buy the collar and put it in.
2. Find the dope that left it out when he changed the sprocket and slap him upside the head.

------------------
The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg
On two wheels (or 3) since 1970
'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)
'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

• Scott

Posted November 02, 2000 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the replies and sympathy. Ya, know, I would think that it was the lack of collar might be causing the leak too, but I have not always had the leak... BUT, I will go and buy the collar just in case. I was thinking that maybe since it's an aftermarket sprocket, the stock collar simply didn't fit and the joker left it off. Maybe he was a knucklhead and forgot to put it back on..

It actually wouldn't surprise me if he simply forgot to put it on... Case in point:

I was installing a new gasket/seal/thingy that fits between the header and tail pipe, since mine was missing, and realized that the old one was actually jammed halfway down my tail pipe. So, I dug it out and scrathced my head in confusion/amazement.

Can't wait to try it out now that there's not a 1/4 inch gap inbetween the two pipes! :) Might eliminate some of the exhaust noises I've always had.

On another note, I am waiting for my Terry cable neutral switch block to arrive. Dumb question, but I do take out the pin and spring don't I?

------------------
99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Uni filter,E-Series pipe,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,lights removed,YZ tank,13 tooth sprocket

• MotoGreg

Posted November 02, 2000 - 07:07 PM

Nuetral switch... yes, take everything out. Beware, the switch is held on by two Phillips head screws. They are VERY tight and they have locktite on them as well. If you don't have the the exact size (I believe a #2 Phillips head) and be very carefull you'll strip the head out. I used an impact tool that you hit with a hammer and it loosens it.

As far as the seal thing... take off the sprocket and just look in there. Is the inside lip of the seal riding on a smooth machined surface? If not, something is wrong.

------------------
The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg
On two wheels (or 3) since 1970
'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)
'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott

Posted November 02, 2000 - 08:20 PM

That's a big "10-4" on stripping the neutral switch screws. I've had them off before and luckily had no problems. I did notice the locktite.

I'll have to take a look again at the shaft that the seal goes over. Hell, maybe that collar IS there because that seal is a bvitch to get on. I'm pretty sure the inside of the seal sits tightly against a machined part. I just assumed it was the shaft and not a separate collar. I even wiped all around the bearing with a Q-Tip soaked in oil to wipe out any gunk. (no gunk) Then I ran my finger around the machined part to check for knicks. It was smooth.

My problem may be that when I'm (slowly) pressing the seal in place, it hangs up with about 1/2 of the sealnot seated flush. Then it is sort of a struggle to seat it all the way. This time though I used lots of oil and I talked dirty to it the whole process.. :) So, you see how far that got me!

Anyway, thanks again for the help. When I work on it again tomorrow, I'll let you know what I found.

------------------

• Hick

Posted November 03, 2000 - 06:50 AM

DOH!

Scott,

MotoGreg is exactly correct. The seal rides on the collar (I looked at mine last night). Without the collar there is a large gap for oil to squirt out.

The splines end before the seal area, this holds the sprocket in place opposite the nut. Otherwise I imagine the oil would escape in the splines under the collar. As it is I guess it fits so snug oil can’t get underneath it.

• Scott

Posted November 03, 2000 - 07:38 AM

Doh is right! Can I put the collar on without having to replace the seal again?

------------------

• Hick

Posted November 03, 2000 - 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Scott:
Doh is right! Can I put the collar on without having to replace the seal again?

I don’t see why not. Since I don’t think anything has come in contact with the lip of the seal it should be in new condition (this is probably true for the first one you bought as well).

The smooth side of the collar faces out, the side with slopes in the rim faces in.

A dab of grease, slide it in, put on the sprocket and you are in business!

• Scott

Posted November 06, 2000 - 08:09 AM

Well, good news fellas! The oil leak, I think, is fixed. After further investigation, I realized that the leak, after the 2nd time I replaced the seal, was really coming from the oil exhaust tube and NOT from behind the sprocket. PHEW.

Although, I'm getting enough oil out of the drain tube that it is collecting in my skid plate. ?? Is that normal or does that seem like a lot?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 06, 2000 - 09:36 AM

Thats very nomal. Sounds like your all good now.
Just be sure you keep plenty of slack in your chain.
Glad to hear everything worked out for you.

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.