Change oil ever other ride, but have interesting wear on cam

9 replies to this topic
  • adaguy

Posted April 07, 2005 - 12:51 PM

OK, I'm the guy that my friends roll there eyes at because I am very meticulous about maintanace. The other day I decided to check my valve gap, one intake and one exhaust where slightly out of tolerance,so upon dismantaling to reshim the valves I inspected the cam and much to my surprise a few lobes had light little pits and some lobes had obvious wear marks, however the lobes are still withing tolerance. My bike has never seen black oil. My yz450 2004 has only 50 hours on it. I use Delo400 dino oil.
My question is this: Is what I described normal for a cam to look like and if not is my oil letting me down?

• 02YZ426

Posted April 07, 2005 - 02:11 PM

My cam has over 100 hrs on it and it looks like new. No wear marks or pitting. How far out of adjustment were your valves? You should post a pic of your cam if possible. Are you getting enough oil flow up top?

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted April 07, 2005 - 03:30 PM

If you werent getting enough oil the cam would sieze. It really depends on where the pitting is to say if it's from the valves floating and smacking the cam or if it's from a pos cam itself. Not all cams are perfect.

What exactly were the measurements you got, and take some pics so it's clear what your concerns are.

• mx_crash

Posted April 08, 2005 - 03:33 AM

Every gsxr I owned did that just near the tips of the lobes.
I just put it down to Suzuki crap engineering, as I always changed the oil every 3000kms, but a mate I recently mentioned it maybe it was because I used to let it idle for a while and warmup. This may be so but the last bike did it to some yoshi cams and only on 2 lobes so I'm still of the opinion the Suzuki may make some fast bikes but the engineering leaves a bit to be desired. No probs with my KTM or Yamaha.

• adaguy

Posted April 08, 2005 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for the replies,
I took the cam to a local shop and the mechanic says that it was fairly normal looking and would be OK to run them. I put it all back together so I wont be able to provide any pictures. I was able to put the valves back in spec with just .05mm thinner shim. I cant remember the exact measurement of the lobes but they were exactly in the middle of the specs the Manuel provided.
I take allot of extra time in maintanace and it is very disappointing to see the pitting and wear, maybe I will change my oil brand.
I have one more question: A cam that is pitted or has visual wear, what can happen? Will pitting cause the engine to blow up in tiny blue pieces? Or will the bike just run ratty and not cause major damage?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2005 - 09:54 AM

If you had a mechanic look at it, and he said it looked normal, then why do you persist in the contention that something is wrong with it at all?

If the cam lobe showed unusual or excessive wear, I guarantee you the associated cam follower would have had very obvious wear to match it. If you found none, and a tech who you trust at all said the cam look OK, don't worry about it. Cam hasn't been a prevalent problem with YZF's that I know of anyway.

• adaguy

Posted April 08, 2005 - 12:04 PM

[COLOR=SlateGray]If you had a mechanic look at it, and he said it looked normal, then why do you persist in the contention that something is wrong with it at all?

If the cam lobe showed unusual or excessive wear, I guarantee you the associated cam follower would have had very obvious wear to match it. If you found none, and a tech who you trust at all said the cam look OK, don't worry about it. Cam hasn't been a prevalent problem with YZF's that I know of anyway.[/COLOR]__________________
I understand your statements, but because the Manuel states to replace the cam if there is any pitting I am curiouse about this. I am being persistant because if the oil I am using is not protecting my "girlfriend" then maybe I should change lubes.

• grayracer513

Posted April 08, 2005 - 01:02 PM

What oil do you currently use? (a potentially incendiary question, I realize :naughty: )

• dominator426

Posted April 08, 2005 - 02:14 PM

I'm doing my 1st minor valve adjustment now at 7000 miles (.16 mm on middle intake). I use Amsoil's synthetic 10W40 and 0W40 changed every 1000 Kms (620 miles) under moderate to spirited dual-purpose use...
https://www.amsoil.c...efront/amf.aspx

• OC768

Posted April 08, 2005 - 10:32 PM

Hm, I just did valve clearance on my 03 450 and am also getting .05mm all around I do beleive for shims. But my cams and everything else up top looked minty...and I don't beat the bike per se but it does spend alot of time revving without alot of speed as I ride woods and sloppy stuff only.

I used Amsoil after I broke in with a case of spectro, now using Rotella T (Syn.) for the last year. Amsoil was very pleasing but I change oil so often it was hard keeping it stocked :naughty: Rotella can be had @ walmart (next to the Delo).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.