what I'm going to try next to solve plug fouling...

9 replies to this topic
  • fred

Posted November 02, 2000 - 02:28 PM

ok
I was checking my hoses on my carb they are not pluged but there is some restriction.. I'm going to get new hose replace the old..
replace breather on gas cap...
try that if I still foul plugs I'm going to YZ time my bike.. If I still foul plugs it is for sell...
I love riding it is my favorite thing to do, but my wife is bitching sbout making a bike payment and not being able to ride, she said it is giving me a drinking problem.....
So no one can say I haven't tried to fix the problem.. Dealers can't fix it, no advise seems to help even though I greatly appreciate the advise...
I'm at the end of the rope...
I'll let you all know what happens...
last leg fred

• James_Dean

Posted November 02, 2000 - 04:20 PM

Fred,
This is a stubborn problem. I don't like giving specific jetting, usually saying adjust up or down. Here is a "safe" estimate for you:
(should be slightly lean and run clean based on your posts)

#45 pilot
pilot screw - 2 turns out
DVP middle clip #4
Main - (your choice, doesn't foul here)

-Set your float level 1mm lower than stock. Inspect the floats, float needle, and seat for anything that could be a flaw.

-Set back the accel pump to start at 1/4 throttle or measure the "fork gap" as .6mm

-The most important drain tube coming out of the carb is the one out the bottom. Check if it will vent. Check this tube during your next ride to see if it is spilling off fuel whenever you stop. It should spill a little if you tip your bike to it's side and back up.

When you go for a ride - if it hesitates, only turn out the pilot screw 1/8 turn at a time and don't go past 2 1/4 turns. Get some time on it without fouling before going back richer on anything. Only change one thing at a time. The accel pump and float level are suspect from what I've read.

YZ timing will not solve your plug fouling.

Hope this helps,

James Dean

• MACWR400

Posted November 02, 2000 - 05:19 PM

Try your air cut valve, It's the little cover on the left side of the carb. I had the same problem with fouling, I tryed many different jetting combinations with no luck. I had taken the carb off and on so many times I was ready to sell the thing.
I had the carb off again and tryed spuriting gumout through all the passages, I found the little orfic in the air cut valve was partialy blocked. I cleaned it out with a small drill bit (I think it was either 0.013 or 0.016), no more problem, it runs great. Also I installed a P38 from Factory R&D. At first I was sceptial but that thing works awsome! Now I have no hesitation or stumble, from a slow idle I can crack the throttle with instantanious responce.

2000 WR YZ timed, WB E-Series 12 disc, Throttle stop cut, Air box cover off Baja Designs kit, now P-38 Lighting from Factory R&D.
Jetting: 45p Fuel Screw 1 5/8, DRS #4 175 mj Michigan. Tempatures from 45 to 75 degrees.

QUOTE]Originally posted by fred:
ok
I was checking my hoses on my carb they are not pluged but there is some restriction.. I'm going to get new hose replace the old..
replace breather on gas cap...
try that if I still foul plugs I'm going to YZ time my bike.. If I still foul plugs it is for sell...
I love riding it is my favorite thing to do, but my wife is bitching sbout making a bike payment and not being able to ride, she said it is giving me a drinking problem.....
So no one can say I haven't tried to fix the problem.. Dealers can't fix it, no advise seems to help even though I greatly appreciate the advise...
I'm at the end of the rope...
I'll let you all know what happens...
last leg fred
[/QUOTE]

• Clark_Mason

Posted November 02, 2000 - 05:33 PM

In addition to everthing James said make sure you do not run a check valve in the gas tank vent hose off the top of the gas cap!!! If you have one take it out of the circuit and run a vent hose only.

The tank on this bike will pressurize the fuel tank big time when the engine heats the tank up and it will over power the needle and seat in the carb and cause problems. Iv had this problem along with three of my riding friends!!

Clark

• James_Dean

Posted November 02, 2000 - 07:48 PM

Clark,

I just went out and took mine off after reading that. One less thing to go wrong. :) Add that to your list Fred.

James

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GRC

Posted November 02, 2000 - 09:02 PM

I have been having some jetting problems as well but I think I have finally gotten them worked out. Removing the check valve makes since so I'm going to do that too. Thanks

• fred

Posted November 03, 2000 - 05:07 AM

I couldn't sleep last night thinking about thatfuel line breather...
All of my problem started when I put a ims tank on my bike... I never thought about it because lots of guy's run the ims tank...
but that explains why when I ride then shut my bike off then start it back up I foul the plug...
If this is the problem I'll fly out to where clark lives and give him a big KISS....
just joking....
I will be one happy puppy...
Well I will try this saturday and let you know....
If it works everyone should take it off...

Thanks for the Hope Clark
Fred

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted November 03, 2000 - 03:49 PM

I have the IMS tank. But from what I can tell, with the stock IMS cap and hose (both supplied by IMS) there is no check valve.

Correct?

• Bryan Bosch

Posted November 03, 2000 - 03:58 PM

I run an IMS tank with a breather check value and I've never fouled a plug. For whatever it is worth... :)

[This message has been edited by Bryan Bosch (edited 11-03-2000).]

• Clark_Mason

Posted November 04, 2000 - 07:31 AM

Bryan

Im sure this is true for the majority, however, in slow going the fuel tank presserizes if you have a good one way check valve in the gas cap vent line due to heating. In addition to my WZ when I had a IMS tank on it and two other friends the fuel tank would presserize to the extent that after a long slow rocky climb not only was the radiator overflow boiling but FUEL WAS A CONSTANT STREAM OUT OF THE CENTER BLACK CARBUERATOR FLOAT BOWL VENT/OVERFLOW LINE. As soon as the breather was jerked off of the fuel tank gas cap and it depressereized it stopped.

I think that this could be happening, to some extent, with just slight increase in pressure, (ie overiding this carburetor's needle and seat) raising the fuel level in the carb float bowl---this along with a cold plug or questionable jetting can cause problems. Its just one factor that with this carb is easily taken care of by not running a check valve, I'v had mine out for the past 18 months

Just a ovservation

Clark

[This message has been edited by Clark Mason (edited 11-04-2000).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.