oil question

42 replies to this topic
  • ovrrdrive

Posted April 15, 2005 - 12:57 AM

My reply was a little bit of exaggerated sarcasm mixed with a little satire and cynicism.

Obviously, I didn't want the little guy to drive off a cliff... Well, not much anyhow.

If nothing else, my post in conjunction with the others after it have certainly made an impression on him and I bet he thinks twice before he replies in another oil thread with mis-information.

However, his last post has sincerely wondering about his intelligence for sure... Or maybe at least his English teacher...

Yz250f_rider, feel free to plagiarize my post as your own all you want. :D :naughty:

grayracer513, btw, you always amaze me with the accuracy and content of your posts. I really hold you in high regard. Sounds like you really know your stuff. :naughty:

• BIKE0

Posted April 15, 2005 - 05:39 AM

The best oil to use it kind of like asking who has the best women. Some are better than others & it's good to know all you can about the one you have. But in the end it's all about what makes you happy. :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted April 15, 2005 - 09:05 AM

grayracer513, btw, you always amaze me with the accuracy and content of your posts. :D

It's all because I hate being wrong about anything (and I have been, of course), so I long ago adopted a policy of looking downrange before shooting off my mouth, so to speak. :naughty: I learn a lot here, too. :naughty:

• sleeman

Posted April 15, 2005 - 05:50 PM

It's all because I hate being wrong about anything (and I have been, of course), so I long ago adopted a policy of looking downrange before shooting off my mouth, so to speak. :D I learn a lot here, too. :naughty:

Greyracer your the man but i must correct you. Motul 5100 is not a synthetic oil its semi. But i did find a great motul oil called etech 100% synthetic. Its a blend of PAOs and esters.Check it out its what ill be running from now on. The real thing not all that fake bulls&&t. :naughty:

• yamahadave

Posted April 16, 2005 - 04:29 AM

is the engine oil also the tranny oil.

• yamahadave

Posted April 16, 2005 - 04:31 AM

i have an 02 yzf 426 f is th engine oil the same as the tranny oil

• sleeman

Posted April 16, 2005 - 04:54 AM

yes it is the same

• yamahadave

Posted April 16, 2005 - 08:23 AM

what i mean changing the engine oil is also changing the tranny oil at the same time

i am assuming that cause i cant find it in the book and i never asked

• BergArabia

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:49 PM

Just so you know we're not all a bunch of beer drinking rednecks hanging out behind the house with the Harley and making stuff up as we go along.

We're not.??? Speak for yourself Gray..

• fast426

Posted October 06, 2005 - 05:59 PM

C'mon guys. We JUST hashed all this out in the last few days on another thread. Gray- Why did'nt you refer them to that thread. You explained the oil thing extremelly well. How often does this have to be explained? BTW the search funtion works extremelly well!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BergArabia

Posted October 06, 2005 - 07:11 PM

what i mean changing the engine oil is also changing the tranny oil at the same time

i am assuming that cause i cant find it in the book and i never asked

I think it is the same..
Hence all the drama about shear resistance etc. If I understood the great, reference posted by Gray it is the tranny that tears up the additives in the oil and causes the oil to deteriorate so quick. It is also the same oil that baths the clutch and hence the problem with energy saving additives as the molydenum ruins the clutch..

• tp3dxf

Posted October 06, 2005 - 07:42 PM

Running Valveoline 10-40 engine oil or Valveoline 4 stroke 10-40 motorcycle oil. What ever Autozone has in stock at the time. Most of the 210 plus hours on the stock motor and clutch have been run on the regular 10-40 Valveoline engine oil. The regular 10-40 engine oil runs me about $2.25 a quart the 4 stroke motorcycle oil runs me about $3.00 a quart.

I change my oil every ride or two and this stuff has worked fine for me. The only thing I have against synthetic oils is the price. At $4 to $5 bucks a quart, some even more, it's a little on the high side for me considering the amount of oil changes I do on my bike.

Just like it's already been said. What ever you run make sure it's changed often and is not labeled as energy conserving on the API lable.

Keep your air filter clean as well.

• BergArabia

Posted October 06, 2005 - 08:05 PM

Just read through that nice reference again and will try to summarise here:

Bad = SL, SM, JASO MB, Energy conserving, 0w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, mineral 10w-40 anything with more VII package, molybdenum and waiting too long between changes..

Good = SG, SH, JASO MA, Deisel oils including Rotella, Delo and Delvac 15w-40 C1-4 and C1-4 Plus synthetics with less VII package no moly and change often..

did I get it right Gray? Hope so cos then I can go relax out the back of my trailer with my Harley and beer... (oops no Harley or beer here, better go shopping)..

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2005 - 08:38 PM

C'mon guys. We JUST hashed all this out in the last few days on another thread. Gray- Why did'nt you refer them to that thread. You explained the oil thing extremelly well. How often does this have to be explained? BTW the search funtion works extremelly well!

The thread you're referring to might be newer than this one. Berg must be bored to reach back 6 months for this.

• BergArabia

Posted October 06, 2005 - 08:40 PM

not bored just missed the newer thread sorry...

• tp3dxf

Posted October 06, 2005 - 10:29 PM

Just read through that nice reference again and will try to summarise here:

Bad = SL, SM, JASO MB, Energy conserving, 0w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, mineral 10w-40 anything with more VII package, molybdenum and waiting too long between changes..

Good = SG, SH, JASO MA, Deisel oils including Rotella, Delo and Delvac 15w-40 C1-4 and C1-4 Plus synthetics with less VII package no moly and change often..

did I get it right Gray? Hope so cos then I can go relax out the back of my trailer with my Harley and beer... (oops no Harley or beer here, better go shopping)..

Enough with the studies.

What works in the REAL world. You know the dirt, mud, dust, water, heat, etc........ None of this non rider white coat wearing geek crap works for me.

All these reports and studies make me want to puke. Some overpaid geek testing things that don't matter in the real world. We don't ride in a lab.

We ride in the dirt.

I am not trying to offend or prove one is better then the other. What works well it works and I don't need a freaking scientest to figure that out.

CHANGE YOUR OIL OFTEN IN A THUMPER.

• tp3dxf

Posted October 06, 2005 - 10:36 PM

The best oil to use it kind of like asking who has the best women. Some are better than others & it's good to know all you can about the one you have. But in the end it's all about what makes you happy. :banghead:

Bravo. Great quote.

• Slowmotion426

Posted October 06, 2005 - 11:53 PM

Who cares how old a thread is? Quality threads are hard to find. :banghead:

• fast426

Posted October 07, 2005 - 07:46 AM

The thread you're referring to might be newer than this one. Berg must be bored to reach back 6 months for this.

Ahh. I see. Sorry for the outburst. Onward and upward.

• fast426

Posted October 07, 2005 - 07:48 AM

Who cares how old a thread is? Quality threads are hard to find. :banghead:

I think the other thread is more informative personally. Just my opinion.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.