Biggest rookie question ever? Air filter

16 replies to this topic
  • WaGuy78

Posted April 07, 2005 - 08:20 AM

Hey everyone. I was wondering what the best way to clean the stock/factory air filter is. Do I need any special solevents?

Also, what is a good aftermarket air filter? Is No-Toil anygood?

Thanks!

• farkawi

Posted April 07, 2005 - 08:59 AM

I put on the nitrile gloves and march to the sacred alter of cleanliness (kitchen sink) and spray it down with simple green and rinse from the inside out. Then I wash out the filter again with dish soap and water. Squeeze dry and sit it on a milk crate in the sun to dry. Re-lube with foam filter oil when dry. Grease the mating surface where the filter meets the airbox. Re-assemble, fire up and wheelie down the driveway.

• GlocksRock

Posted April 07, 2005 - 10:21 AM

What kind of grease is good to use?

• Ga426owner

Posted April 07, 2005 - 11:02 AM

Hey everyone. I was wondering what the best way to clean the stock/factory air filter is. Do I need any special solevents?

Also, what is a good aftermarket air filter? Is No-Toil anygood?

Thanks!

not a rookie question - everyone has their own ways - here is what works for me
Get some surgeon gloves - no powder
I clean filter with Kerosene in a cleaning bucket- (never use gas) then rinse out with warm water - make sure wife does not catch me in kitchen....smelly job
Kerosene has never eaten or dissolved the glue on the filters 1999-2003 for yamaha
let it completely dry - I have 2 filters that I rotate
I use belray filter oil with no issues
I currently use Twin Air Powerfilters/flame retardant and/or WhiteBros or stock yamaha filters
I never use grease - to messy not needed unless you are planning on submarining

I hate No toil - never worked right for me - others have liked them :naughty:

• captain_S

Posted April 07, 2005 - 11:15 AM

Pc-racing make a self adhesive seal for inside the airbox where the filter meets the intake(no need for grease)no mess! :naughty:

• DesertWR

Posted April 07, 2005 - 11:56 AM

Pc-racing make a self adhesive seal for inside the airbox where the filter meets the intake(no need for grease)no mess! :naughty:

Moose has a good one too although I still use a little grease for my insurance policy

• WRookie

Posted April 07, 2005 - 12:04 PM

I use PJ-1 spray oil and cleaner. I have recently stopped using grease and don't have any dust in the boot. I did try the no-toil and had dirty carb syndrome with it. I have heard the no-toil has been reformulated to be tackier now but the PJ-1 has proven itself to me.

• captain_S

Posted April 07, 2005 - 12:27 PM

Yep i understand where you coming from with the grease,but i can see a nice indent all the way round the seal from the filter cage,i also use a vacume cleaner to clean the filter when dry before oiling,it works well at getting any small parts out of the filter(saves scraping at it!) :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted April 07, 2005 - 02:22 PM

I run a Twin Air with Twin Air Filter Oil. For clean up, nothing beats dish soap and hot water, though Simple Green does tend to speed up the process. As far as greasing the seal goes, use a Lithium based grease like the manual says and you'll be good to go...SC

• cgrlvr35

Posted April 07, 2005 - 02:24 PM

Ive ordered a set of ready filters. Anyone tried these. It will be quick and easy to have when Im at races. Let me know.

• cgrlvr35

Posted April 07, 2005 - 02:27 PM

Nevermind. I read on the form and somone is asking about the ready filters. When I get mine I will let u know. we will see

• mountainriderWR400F

Posted April 07, 2005 - 05:14 PM

I have used the ready filter and it worked well :D they were as described installed quick after a second of waiting for it to bounce back after being vacuumed packed oiled perfect no problems that I could see I used them one time in the desert and once in Steck park sand dunes my only concern was where it met the airbox I did the old trick with grease and then after about 10 minutes of riding I checked the grease line to see if anything had pass through I also put a small amount of grease I mean a small amount in right at the base of the intake boot on the inside of the airbox to see if anything went through the filter it would have stuck to the oil on the inside of the boot and it was clean :naughty: for the first use of the product it ran fine, worked well and was very simple to install but I still sometimes go back to the regular twin air filter just for craps and giggles used to it after all these years and it is just me but I sometimes enjoyed cleaning the air filter :naughty:

• clark4131

Posted April 07, 2005 - 07:11 PM

Periods and capital letters will make your posts much easier to read. Punctuation is good...SC

• Dan_from_HB

Posted April 08, 2005 - 08:50 AM

I used to use gasoline, then everyone said to avoid it. Breaks down glue on the filter and fumes are dangerous.
So, I began washing in really hot water and dish soap.
After 2-1/2 years and several Twin Airs with PJ1 oil, I realized in December that my filters weren't getting clean. They still had a brown ooze coming out of them, and the foam was dark brown.
Washed one in gasoline again, and it looked like new. Clean as a whistle. Bike also started running very lean, which cost me a month or so getting jetting sorted out again. That's how clogged the filters were. Non-solvent cleaners just don't get the PJ1 out.
So, I'm back to gasoline. To hell with the glue. I'll replace the filter more often. I'm just not putting a dirty filter back in my airbox.
Maybe I'll try the kerosene thing. That sounds workable.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 08, 2005 - 01:04 PM

I used to use gasoline, then everyone said to avoid it. Breaks down glue on the filter and fumes are dangerous.
So, I began washing in really hot water and dish soap.
After 2-1/2 years and several Twin Airs with PJ1 oil, I realized in December that my filters weren't getting clean. They still had a brown ooze coming out of them, and the foam was dark brown.
Washed one in gasoline again, and it looked like new. Clean as a whistle. Bike also started running very lean, which cost me a month or so getting jetting sorted out again. That's how clogged the filters were. Non-solvent cleaners just don't get the PJ1 out.
So, I'm back to gasoline. To hell with the glue. I'll replace the filter more often. I'm just not putting a dirty filter back in my airbox.
Maybe I'll try the kerosene thing. That sounds workable.

Dan, Kero will clean the filters really good - not as good as Gas -but will not eat the glue....make sure you rinse out with hot/warm water and it will look almost as good as new :naughty:

• mountainriderWR400F

Posted April 08, 2005 - 07:13 PM

Periods and capital letters will make your posts much easier to read. Punctuation is good...SC

I will make sure that I use periods and capital letters . This way you can read it easier. :naughty: :naughty: Point taken thanks for pointing that out.

Politically correct website :D

• Dan_from_HB

Posted April 09, 2005 - 08:29 AM

Dan, Kero will clean the filters really good - not as good as Gas -but will not eat the glue....make sure you rinse out with hot/warm water and it will look almost as good as new :naughty:

Thanks. What part of Ga y'all from? I lived in Sandy Springs, Roswell, and Marietta for a while as a kid in the late '60's.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.