Blown rear shock - fix, replace, or upgrade?

8 replies to this topic
  • Shuffler

Posted April 07, 2005 - 07:51 AM

My rear shock is blown on my '01 YZ426. Should I get the cylinder fixed, get an OEM replacement, or upgrade to something better/stronger?

Any recommendations? :naughty:

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 07, 2005 - 08:01 AM

I'm taking my YZs to Neil Horse in Denver to get revalved and refurbed. He can fix anything. He revalved my XRs shock and its super smooth. All for a very very reasonable price.

http://www.thumperta...searchid=261354

I have his phone number at home if you cannot find it with those links.

...follow these links to find him. Seriously, he's good enough for me to drive from Montrose to Denver to have him do my work. :naughty:

http://www.thumperta...highlight=aloop

• Shuffler

Posted April 07, 2005 - 08:27 AM

what's a rough estimate on cost to do the whole thing...i.e. revalve the shock and help me get my sag & compression/rebound dialed in? I'm in Longmont and hate driving to Denver, but this seems worth it if the price is right...

• irtrouble

Posted April 07, 2005 - 08:39 AM

My rear shock is blown on my '01 YZ426. Should I get the cylinder fixed, get an OEM replacement, or upgrade to something better/stronger?

Any recommendations? :naughty:

I would modify that thing heavily. Maybe it could be a show on 'Monster's Garage' except you could call it 'Shuffler's Garage'.

You could get a crew of Hells Angel types to scrounge thru a junk yard and pull the springs out of a '62 Nova. They could retrofit them to work on your bike. Put the whole show on The Discovery Channel. I'd watch it.

Just my $0.025.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shuffler

Posted April 07, 2005 - 08:46 AM

I would modify that thing heavily. Maybe it could be a show on 'Monster's Garage' except you could call it 'Shuffler's Garage'.

You could get a crew of Hells Angel types to scrounge thru a junk yard and pull the springs out of a '62 Nova. They could retrofit them to work on your bike. Put the whole show on The Discovery Channel. I'd watch it.

Just my $0.025.

:naughty:

thanks, but this is no time for such Tom Foolery...

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2005 - 11:03 AM

Define "blown" for us.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 07, 2005 - 11:27 AM

Believe it or not he quoted me 110 for refurbish which includes new seals and such.....160 for revalve and whole shebang. Which is a helluva price.

But, he may tell you something different since your boinger is broke :naughty:

It would be worth the drive and he can ship it back to you if need be.

• Shuffler

Posted April 07, 2005 - 02:51 PM

Define "blown" for us.

No compression/rebound damping at all....the unit just knocks on spring action. Oil all over the piston/seal, etc. AFAIK the gas cylinder is okay, but I don't know how to check...

Another TTer offered to sell me a used unit in good condition for $125, so maybe I go with that short-term, then get this one re-worked to keep on hand as a spare.

• grayracer513

Posted April 07, 2005 - 04:21 PM

Another TTer offered to sell me a used unit in good condition for $125, so maybe I go with that short-term, then get this one re-worked to keep on hand as a spare.

That sounds like a plan. Actually, you might want to get yours tricked out and keep the other as the spare. :naughty:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.