YZ426 Engine Assembly Problem???

6 replies to this topic
  • MNellis

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:11 PM

I'm wondering if I have a problem here. I'm doing a complete (crank, piston, valves, cam etc) rebuild on my '00426 and I'm getting ready to put the clutch together and I noticed an extra part that I couldn't initially identify.

I finally found it in the manual and it's called a collar. The manual shows in being installed over the countershaft output shaft. Does this collar go over the shaft just prior to installing the countershaft sprocket? The manual appears to show this but I'm worried that I forgot to install it in the gearbox (heaven forbid).

Thoughts?? I REALLY don't want to have to split the cases again. Everything seems to be working inside but that doesn't mean anything. :naughty:

Pictures

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 02YZ426

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:41 PM

That looks like the spacer for the sprocket. That keeps the sprocket from rubbing the seal and the case. Its definatly not from the tranny. Just put it in like you have it in the picture. :naughty:

• MNellis

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:14 PM

After posting the message I checked some more and tried to put the countershaft sprocket on. The sprocket will go on but there is no room left for the splined lock washer to go on. This tells me the "collar" is not going on far enough for some reason.

I tried putting the sprocket on both ways but I can tell from the bend in the sprocket teeth which way it was on (yes, I know, I need a new sprocket). I have a new sprocket. :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slowmotion426

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:39 PM

I dunno, but from looking at those little half circles on the ege of the collar it looks like it interlocks with some other part. :naughty:

• MNellis

Posted April 06, 2005 - 11:26 PM

those little half circles are the same shape as what's on the back of the clutch basket also.

• mj2412

Posted April 06, 2005 - 11:42 PM

Hy, this collar is not from the transmission and you can install it when you install the sprocket. This little half circles doesn´t interlock with some other part because behind the sealing is the bearing. They are for the oil, which comes trough the bearing and necessary for the outer sealing. This collar is only for the distance and it is much cheaper to change the collar than the shaft when you get marks from the sealing and loosing oil. On the inside of the collar is a O-ring. Maybe you have problems with the sealing lips to push the collar complete in. Put some oil on the collar, check if nothing is behind the sealing and push it in, then it should be OK. Finally assemble the sprocket and ready for fight.

Martin

• MNellis

Posted April 07, 2005 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Martin.

I took your advice and found the collar was hanging up on the 'O' ring on the output shaft. I "confinced it in" with a socket and hammer and it seems ok. I replaced all the "O" rings with new ones and they are a little tighter than what I took off.

Thanks again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.