? about tweaked steering

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 02, 2000 - 07:48 AM

I had a little spill last ride and it feels like my handlebars are bent, but they are not. I didn't have time to look at my WR400, because it is in storage, but are Dirtbikes like bicycles where the steering head (neck) can come lose and cause the front wheel to point slightly off than handlebars or not possible. Has anybody experienced this? This is the first dirtbike that feels this way. The others I know it is handlebars! Sounds like a dumb question, but I am a little puzzled. Thanks for your help guys, Warlo

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted November 02, 2000 - 08:01 AM

Your triple clamps are misaligned. You need to slightly loosen the upper clamp and twist the bars (and forks) straight.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 02, 2000 - 08:22 AM

Thanks Kevin for the quick response, I will give it a try!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted November 02, 2000 - 08:35 AM

Originally posted by Warlo:
Thanks Kevin for the quick response, I will give it a try!

Since the fall may have tweaked something else you might want to realign the front wheel next, I believe the manual has instructions on how to do this. I would encourage you to use a torque wrench on all the pinch bolts, the spec. is not very tight (23 NM ?). Too tight may damage your fork tubes.

I don’t recommend this, but when this happens to me during a ride I will abuse my bike by whacking the front wheel against a post in the appropriate direction until things feel straighter. Unfortunately this method probably loosens things up and makes recurring alignment problems more likely.

Hope this helps!

• AngryCandy

Posted November 02, 2000 - 09:18 AM

Warlo,

I usually loosen the lower clamps as well as the uppers. Just hold the wheel between your knees and turn the bars back and forth a few times. Should straighten right up...

• Dougie

Posted November 02, 2000 - 09:40 AM

Or you can do what I usually do, wreck on the opposite side and bend them back :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.