XR650L SuperMotard is Now Race Ready

14 replies to this topic
  • NukBoy

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:27 AM

If anybody is thinking of Converting their bike over, here are some tips and pitfalls on how to do it. It has been a project 8 months in the making.

Wheels- I found that the cheapest way to get your 17 inch rims is to buy a set of stock hubs, Buchanan Rims, and Talon Spokes. If you get a front hub from talon you have to get a 650R oversized brake rotor and it still wont fit. I ended up on the front having to add a spacer to push the caliper over 1/8 inch so that I did not have metal on metal. TRUST ME ON STOCK HUBS. YOU CAN SAVE A TON OF MONEY USING STOCK ROTORS AND BRAKES. I have a 3.25 rear rim that will hold a 160/17 rear but I do get a little cutting on the shoulder of the tire, but not too bad.

Shocks- I really loosened up the rear to allow the seat to compress down more freely and have the rebound set way out. It allows the rear to hug the road while the bike is flexing. The front I added a 1 inch piece of PVC to reduce dive. and loosened up as well. I HAVE NO CHATTER which is one of the biggest complaints in Motard Racing.

Engine-I bought Caps to block off and remove all the emission garbage on the bike and rejetted the bike after adding new exhaust.

Exhaust- Added a big gun exhaust which has made it the loudest bike on the planet. Plus removeing the stock exhaust got rid of an addtional 35 lbs.

Intake- The bike doesn't breath well enough stock so I cut 4 - 1/2 inch holes in the airbox to let it breath.

Tires- Dunlop D208 GP "A" Mediums. And these tires are glued to the road.

Looks- Remove all turn signals and rear brake light assembly from the bike. If your on the road you will need hand signals. I drilled four holes in the rear fender and mounted the plate to it. To keep it street legal I needed a Rear brake Light. So where the old rubber boot mounts up to the bike you can perfectly fit the brake light cover from the XR200. Then the lights were not hard to hook up. You have three wires. Two Greens hook up the brake light and brown and green hook up the running light. I bought the bulbs at radio shack. The replaced the front fender with a short, stubby fender that makes it look like a ducks bill.

Belly Pan- In order to race a Supermotard on a Road Race Course you have to have an oil catch pan that will hold the contents of the engine. I cut and welded one out of sheet metal and painted it white. It is a good fit. You will need to buy a piece of metal 24"x15" and thin. Bend it three inches on each side for the length then fold up to mount over the engine protection bar. Weld the pan together and the uses the right fot peg to mount it to the bike and then safety wire everywhere else. Zip Ties will work too.

Don't forget to safety wire everything.

I have yet to drop in a Hot Cam for it, I am waiting for the results of my Supermotard Race on the 24th of April to see if I am going to need it. The bike is much lighter and faster, as well as more torque. My father calls it a KLR on steroids. Everybody who sees it ask if it is a 200cc. I can get the bike to 120mph now and it is reasonable stable at that speed. Much better than the shake and wobble at 85mph.

Since modified I can honestly say that is the funnest motorcycle I own. I prefer to ride it through traffic more so than my GSXR1000. It's loud, obnoxius, burps flames, smells bad, and will beat any four wheeled vehicle off the line as well as riding down sidewalks in rush hour, Or over medians. People can hear me coming a mile away. It's not nearlt as tall so I can put my feet flat on the ground now and I am only 5'9. During high speed cornering it is so forgiving to throttle and brake inputs it is scary. There is really nothing this bike cant do.

She is my "Animul Mutha" :naughty:

• x400r

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:28 AM

pictures?

• NukBoy

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:33 AM

Go to my web site. I have some pictures but hav'nt posted finished project yet.

www.bennythebomb.com

click on the picture that say animul mutha

• NukBoy

Posted April 06, 2005 - 04:06 PM

I have posted the finished pics of my Supermoto project on my web site

http://www.bennytheb...nimulmutha.html

Posted Image

She rocks!

• mountainrider

Posted April 06, 2005 - 04:15 PM

Looks good.I do not race mine but I have all the right stuff including the cam,piston,three angle valve job and I love this bike. :naughty:

• mountainrider

Posted April 06, 2005 - 04:23 PM

Here she is not to pretty but gets the job done.
Posted Image

• Gary1129

Posted April 06, 2005 - 04:32 PM

They both look real nice..............That the one you were riding last September Mountainrider???..............I may do my XR400 one of these days still not sure if I really like the Motard thing...........Maybe Ill wrangle a ride on one sometime sure looks like fun :naughty: ..........g

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mountainrider

Posted April 07, 2005 - 02:52 AM

Yes it is.This is the first time that I have had a bike this long.Once you ride a motard there is no going back. :naughty:

Are you going to the Eureka Springs rally?I think it will be a lot of fun.Wish I could make it but other things are more important right now. :naughty:

• Gary1129

Posted April 07, 2005 - 07:44 AM

Yeah Ill be in Eureka Springs.......................sorry ya wont be there...........Well hook up in September tho................I enjoyed chasin yall on the ZRX last time and look forward to it again..............g

• kyleproject

Posted April 07, 2005 - 07:57 AM

Nice bikes guys! Mountainrider, interesting fender setup you got there.

I may do my XR400 one of these days still not sure if I really like the Motard thing...........Maybe Ill wrangle a ride on one sometime sure looks like fun ..........g

If you do you'll probably catch the bug. I had never even ridden a supermoto until a couple weeks ago when I got my 650R. I'm already addicted. Be warned, if you're going to ride on the street your license might be at risk. These are 100% hooligan bikes - I got a ticket on my 2nd day...

• NukBoy

Posted April 07, 2005 - 08:53 AM

Yes a Hooligan Bike for sure. First the sound draws lots of attention. Then the wheelies are just unresistable. When I am in heavy traffic I will hit the side walks or go over a mediun in a bad Jam. You just have so much light weight movable torque thats fun as hell to get up and go on. Curbs, stairs, soccer fields, school yards. You find yourself riding in a way that you would have never ridden a street bike or a dirt bike. Your doing both. Remeber when you were a kid and you would take the dirt bike out but had to ride it on the street to get where you are going. Remember how fun that was, or even better how you responded when the cops showed up.

One of my favorite tricks on the bike is blowing a flame out the exhaust at night. Just get it up in third gear, quickly turn it off and then back on again while giving it full throttle. "Ker-pow" and I nice big fireball shoots out.

This is especially entertaining when you get infront of a bunch of Harley guys that think their bikes are loud. Then they find out what loud really is.

You guys out there in CAli have restrictions on Pipes don't you? Down here in Texas the is no restriction, decible limit, or emmision test.

• kyleproject

Posted April 07, 2005 - 09:15 AM

One of my favorite tricks on the bike is blowing a flame out the exhaust at night. Just get it up in third gear, quickly turn it off and then back on again while giving it full throttle. "Ker-pow" and I nice big fireball shoots out.

Haha, my buddy used to do that on his R6 all the time. He'd make a gun with his left hand and hit the kill switch with the other. BANG! You're dead. You guys must share a passion for valve jobs :naughty:

• x400r

Posted April 07, 2005 - 09:42 AM

NICE BIKE NUKBOY!!!!, You too mountain rider.

• mountainrider

Posted April 07, 2005 - 04:53 PM

[quote name='kyleproject']Nice bikes guys! Mountainrider, interesting fender setup you got there.

The high mount fenders look tough but are really useless.When the roads are wet your facesheild stays covered with crap.At speed they make the front end lite and then you get a front end weave.The low mount fender just made more sence to me. :naughty:

• Misfit

Posted April 07, 2005 - 05:39 PM

Hey nukboy nice bike :naughty: I have a question about your header pipe. Did it fit ok? Did you have to do any modifying to get it to fit? Ive been looking for an aftermarket header for a while and cant seem to find many for the 650L. :naughty: I ve seen them for the 600 but not sure if it would fit the 650.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.