Got beat by 03 Honda 450R (help)

17 replies to this topic
  • Toobold30

Posted April 05, 2005 - 09:49 PM

Hey guys i hate to admit it, but i got beat this wknd by a big boy on a 450 honda. We were racing throught the woods all afternoon and i was fighting to stay with him. My bike is a stock 04 Yz450F.. the bike has tons of power and i know its me, but in the woods, ruts and corners the bike just is almost unmangable.. any suggestions.. there is no way i would get rid of this bike for the power.. i just have to learn how to control this with skill and if there are any mods that would help...the bike just wants to spin coming out of wooded hardpacked corners...I have a new tire, which helps some. any input would help to put this honda in the back...thanks

• Toobold30

Posted April 06, 2005 - 01:03 AM

our riding skills are about the same..We are local riders and that ride often, but ever since i have gotten my yz450F i just can't seem to control this thing. I am 5'6" and weigh 155. I mean i can old on to it and get through the woods good, but my friend weighs about 200+ and seems to just hook up out of corners and rutted hills where im all over the place

• big t

Posted April 06, 2005 - 02:19 AM

Maybe add some weight to the flywheel and try different gearing with the sprockets. Add a tooth to the front or go down a few teeth in the rear and see if it will tone the bike down some. Are you both running the same tires? What tire pressure do you run? In the woods power can just wear you out. The Honda is smooth on the power and probably would be easier to ride in the woods. Ya'll should switch bikes and then see who's faster. My bet is he'll be slower on your bike than you on his because the YZ is a handful but that's why we all love it. Good luck.

• ovrrdrive

Posted April 06, 2005 - 02:41 AM

I bet it is going to boil down to tire type and compound, and suspension setup.

What have you dont to your bike so far?

Set sag? Adjusted clickers anywhere?

You can also slide the forks up in the tripple clamp to quicken the steering...

• sleeman

Posted April 06, 2005 - 02:55 AM

90% rider 10% bike.

• Thumper38

Posted April 06, 2005 - 03:40 AM

Get your suspension worked on, I am sure it is to stiff for your weight, you will loose traction big time!

• Unibomber

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:11 AM

Boyesen Accelerator Pump cover, solves the "rip out of your hands" Yama Punch . And no offense buy your buddy is proabably a hair better than you in the trees. :naughty:

• Dano426

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:16 AM

but in the woods, ruts and corners the bike just is almost unmangable.. any suggestions.. there is no way i would get rid of this bike for the power.. i just have to learn how to control this with skill and if there are any mods that would help...the bike just wants to spin coming out of wooded hardpacked corners...

Checking your sag is the first thing you should do, But it sounds to me that you need a flywheel to stop the wheel spin. The 10 or 12oz will help smooth out the power. I had similar problems and went with the Z-Start. It made my 426 so much more fun to ride in the tight woods

• bamafutbal

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:18 AM

put a rekluse auto clutch on. that will help ten-fold
john
03crf450

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Toobold30

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:06 AM

To be honest on skills, we have been riding together for yrs...we both grew up on our XRs and have gradually moved up to these bikes. we both had yz250 and actually i was a bit faster than him...Now with the new 450, i can't keep up or make any traction

• 226DAD

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:35 AM

Practice

• Ga426owner

Posted April 06, 2005 - 12:17 PM

Hey guys i hate to admit it, but i got beat this wknd by a big boy on a 450 honda. We were racing throught the woods all afternoon and i was fighting to stay with him. My bike is a stock 04 Yz450F.. the bike has tons of power and i know its me, but in the woods, ruts and corners the bike just is almost unmangable.. any suggestions.. there is no way i would get rid of this bike for the power.. i just have to learn how to control this with skill and if there are any mods that would help...the bike just wants to spin coming out of wooded hardpacked corners...I have a new tire, which helps some. any input would help to put this honda in the back...thanks

way too much wheelspin for "the woods"
put a 5-8oz flywheel weight on it if you are diehard for woods riding - you will be faster also with it.
...otherwise get him on a mx track!

• Scotty426

Posted April 07, 2005 - 02:46 PM

Maybee you could get lower. My friend is about your size and his YZ400 has been lowered front and back. (drop the forks in the triples and set the preload low out back) He is now the fastest of us. The magazines are universal that the YZ puts power to the ground better than any other bike. A back sprocket with 1 or 2 less teeth will give you more top speed, softer launch, widen the usable range of each gear and only cost $15. I put larger foam grips made for street bikes ($8) on my YZ. They are slightly larger in circumference and this means I have have to turn it more for the same throttle response. I can still pull full throttle (when I have the guts). I love my new Pirreli MT32s in the 120mm size out back ($65) Dunlop 756 in the 120mm size would be better than the stock 739s. A 10oz flywheel weight (big$)? Stand up and put your weight on the pegs leaving a turn or move back on the seat. Good luck to you brother, you will eventually adjust and dust that Honda. Blue is great.

• tnl

Posted April 07, 2005 - 05:41 PM

He's a better rider :naughty: Sorry!

• Godzuki

Posted April 07, 2005 - 06:09 PM

i have a buddy with a crf 450 03 modle to and im on a 01 426 we are pretty much equall in the woods. we have switched off and rode each others bikes, i want his (im sorry but that damn thing is so light and easy to go fast on, i hope yamaha gets a new aluminum frame for these 4 strokes and fast) it was far easyer to ride his fast than mine just due to the weight diff. on a separate occasion i was out on a trail i considered realy fast mostly 3rd 4th and 5th gear just plain full throttle everywere, i had 2 friends with me with more DOT knobbies on thier bikes i could pull a decent gap on both and just piddle around and wait till i saw thier headlights (both on wrs' 1 a 450 and 1 a 250) we met up a group of 2 guys and thier kids on 80cc yz's and a cr80, we decided to hook up with them and they let us go first so i took off and did my normall thing of sprint out for awhile and put it on cruise the first couple of times i looked back i saw the headlights, then i looked back and what the hell its one of those kids on a 80, mind you now we are in mich and all we have is sand and lots of it. well i spent the rest of the day holding off those 3 kids on 80's. i was full throttle from corner to corner locking up the back tire sliding it in then unloading on it right back out of the corner, i could just keep ahead of them wile i ran hard, if i was running realy hard i could pull a light bit on them, but then i would have to slow down a rest some, then they would be all over my butt again. how were 3 80cc bikes keep on my butt when i was riding that hard you say, simple those bikes are small width wise and that trail is alot wider to them than i, so they could keep a higher rate of speed than i through corners and down most of the trail. so if you want to go faster cut down your bars a few inches make that bike skinnyer. fly wheel weight, and a few less teeth on the back sprocket. now do you have a after market pipe on that thing if so put the stocker back on for the trails it will make less power. also riding a gear higher if you power is comming on to strong might help you just lugg it around i 1 gear higher than you normally use. and practice

• Toobold30

Posted April 07, 2005 - 07:11 PM

Guys once again thank you for all the input..i think im going to start trying to set my bike up a bit different.. I think i will drop the forks first and soften the rebound and then looking into the clutch mod... Thanks..I have to keep this RED machine behind me or i will never hear the end of it.. :naughty:

• Scotty426

Posted April 08, 2005 - 09:10 AM

Good luck dude. If you drop the rear too far you'll bounce off the bumpers. This limits total rear travel but helps shorter guys with control. Shock responce is firmer closer to the bottom. Don't give up.

• mxgomer

Posted April 08, 2005 - 08:11 PM

try this go to g2ergo.com and check out what a simple throttel tube can do for you you can change the pull by the cams on the tube. I have a 05 yz450 and im 270 lbs and I get the hole shot every time the honda is fast but not nearly as rideable as the yz you will see when you try this throttel tube.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.