Does it hurt not to use the Hot start?

13 replies to this topic
  • AV8OR

Posted April 05, 2005 - 09:40 PM

I just got a used 2001 YZ426 this jan and have been riding her a lot....I have found out that she kicks over much easier when I don't use the hot start if i stall her or something after riding for a while....I don't think so, but does this do any harm to the engine at all?? I highly doubt it, but thought I would just ask some more experianced people!

• buck_y_lee

Posted April 05, 2005 - 10:30 PM

No.

What sort of temperatures do you ride in? Mine often starts without it too, and I'm riding in 30C temps.

• Slowmotion426

Posted April 05, 2005 - 10:53 PM

Won't hurt it. At least it's not hurt my '01 426 yet. I guess our jetting or fuel/air mix is a little off seeing as our bikes actually crank easier without the hot start button.

• WheelsUp

Posted April 05, 2005 - 11:33 PM

I noticed that I needed the hot start more and the choke less once I got the jetting dialed in closer to where it should be.

If the bike has been shut off for more than a couple of minutes (like time to stop and take a leak), then I don't need the hot start, but if it's a quick shutdown, or especially a stallout or getoff, I'll need to hit it real quick... and really just a jab during the kick.

Before I rejetted, opening the hot start didn't change the engine RPM. Now it increases dramatically.

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2005 - 07:37 AM

All the hot start does is open an additional air passage in the carb to lean out the starting mixture. If the bike starts better without it, it may be a sign that it's marginally lean. But it starts the way it starts, and you're not hurting anything however you do it.

• WheelsUp

Posted April 06, 2005 - 01:05 PM

Dealer told me that using the choke and hot start at the same time would warp the valves :naughty:

• RJB

Posted April 06, 2005 - 01:33 PM

Dealer told me that using the choke and hot start at the same time would warp the valves :naughty:

Sounds like good advice from another "educated dealer" then :naughty: Not sure how he thought this would happen. I wish they'd educate some of these guys before letting them loose on the general public

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2005 - 01:47 PM

Well, that is right up there with the better examples of Bovine Scatology (the study of incorrect facts, called BS by some) that I've heard from experts in Sales and Parts. I give it :naughty: :D :D

Actually, with one making it richer and tthe other leaner, it would be a great deal like pissing upwind.

• Butta

Posted April 06, 2005 - 02:51 PM

But isn't it true that the choke actually adds more fuel (instead of "choking" the air)? If this is the case, the mixture may not change too much, there will just be more air and fuel available.....

• AV8OR

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:38 PM

thanks guys.....I have been riding in 22C degree temps...Jetting seems right on, but I get the feeling when its starts getting really hot this summer I will need to use the hot start.

• Jim_bo

Posted April 07, 2005 - 08:56 AM

My rule of thumb is that after the bike is warmed up, let it idle. When you pull the hot start, it should speed up the idle (because you are leaning it out). If it only dies, then you are jetted too lean already. If you don't need the hot start at all... it may bee too lean.

Jimbo

• Jim_bo

Posted April 07, 2005 - 08:57 AM

Some people are just sssoooooo stupid!! Apparently, your dealer is one of them!

• WRookie

Posted April 07, 2005 - 11:41 AM

My rule of thumb is that after the bike is warmed up, let it idle. When you pull the hot start, it should speed up the idle (because you are leaning it out). If it only dies, then you are jetted too lean already. If you don't need the hot start at all... it may bee too lean.

Jimbo

I agree with Jimbo on this.

• WRookie

Posted April 07, 2005 - 11:45 AM

But isn't it true that the choke actually adds more fuel (instead of "choking" the air)? If this is the case, the mixture may not change too much, there will just be more air and fuel available.....

The choke opens the starter jet circuit. Probably in conjunction with the pilot jet but I don't really know. More fuel, same air.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.