10 replies to this topic
  • Bigbopper

Posted April 05, 2005 - 08:51 PM

Hi guys, and gals!
I just bought a 00 XR650R to replace my 82 XR500R. Unbelievable difference! I have since learned about the clutch bushing and right foot peg. I am in the process of replacing all the wheel bearings and giving it a thorough go-through. Anything else I need to know? It also has the power-up kit (intake mods, exhaust and re-jetting.) What oil are you running etc...?

Thanks!

• hill5150

Posted April 05, 2005 - 10:07 PM

Check it out www.xr650r.us :naughty: Great info, and u

se Mobil 1 redcap good oil bit expensive but worth it. Definately get the peg fixed and replace the clutch bushing 30 min. job and get a stabilizer if you plan on riding it like JC does. :naughty:

• TimBrp

Posted April 06, 2005 - 03:15 AM

Nice choice. Enjoy, she's a blast!

• frankstr

Posted April 06, 2005 - 04:45 AM

Smart choice, Stickin with a XR, Better yet geting a BRP, You'll enjoy every ride, Great grin factor..... :naughty:
Wecome to TT, A great site with lots of info...... :naughty: great people...

• qadsan

Posted April 06, 2005 - 06:13 AM

...Anything else I need to know?...

* use a waterproof grease (not water resistant)
* grease the swing arm bearings
* grease linkage bearings
* grease the steering head bearings
* check kick starter bolt & torque to spec
* replace right foot peg bolts and torque to spec
* remove chain adjuster bolts, clean and put anit-seize on them
* clean chain, lube chain with dry film lube (don't use wax or petroleum based goopy products)

go ride :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bigbopper

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:11 AM

* use a waterproof grease (not water resistant)
* grease the swing arm bearings
* grease linkage bearings
* grease the steering head bearings
* check kick starter bolt & torque to spec
* replace right foot peg bolts and torque to spec
* remove chain adjuster bolts, clean and put anit-seize on them
* clean chain, lube chain with dry film lube (don't use wax or petroleum based goopy products)

go ride :naughty:

Thanks for the welcome and info!

When greasing the swingarm, linkage and headset, I'm assuming they need to be disassembled?

BigBopper. :naughty:

• miguelitro

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:44 AM

Got to go through my bike too and do all these things. really just have to see what my ride really has and really needs!
Hey BB where you live in BC?
I'm trying to head up to whistler area this summer with the bike too see some friends and check ou t some s cenery on the BRP.
Mike

• Bigbopper

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:52 AM

I'm in Delta, just south of Vancouver. My brother just moved back from Whistler, beautiful area to see on a bike!
Just heading out to order bearings and seals now, can't wait to ride this thing!

BB :naughty:

• qadsan

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for the welcome and info!
When greasing the swingarm, linkage and headset, I'm assuming they need to be disassembled?
BigBopper. :naughty:

Yeah, they have to be dissassembled. Honda has special tools for setting the preload on the swing arm bearings, but you can make your own as described in this link. I understand the Motion Pro Honda oil filter & clutch spanner tool also works for this just as well. Here's the link to making your own tools...http://www.xr650r.us/preload/

Here's a picture of the Motion Pro tool if you decide to buy / try that instead.
http://www.motionpro.../08-0015web.jpg
And here's the link to the Motion Pro page with more details of this tool.
http://www.motionpro...icetools_3.html

The only other thing I forgot to mention is that you may want to check / adjust your valves just to be safe.

• miguelitro

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:15 AM

hear ya THere bro.
We'll have to hook up for aride in august....

• Bigbopper

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:30 AM

hear ya THere bro.
We'll have to hook up for aride in august....

Lemme know, I've got tons of holidays in Aug...

BB

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.