Front wheel prob?

6 replies to this topic
  • cloute

Posted April 05, 2005 - 07:41 PM

I was reinstalling my front wheel on my yz450f 2004 earlier today. The book says to torque de 22mm nut to 75 ft-lbs. With my torque wrench I put the nut in but never got above 30 ft-lbs and it was still turning!! :D no more threads were coming out. I didn't try to undo it 'cause I was affraid to break it more... :naughty:

So anybody could show a picture or tell me how many threads you guys see out of the nut??

According to my description, do you think the threads are worn out? :D

If yes what's the best thing to do and would it be expansive to replace either the nut or the big bolt?

Can I still ride my bike because there are 4 bolts left to hold the wheel?

Anyway tell me what you think! Tomorrow was suposed to be my first ride of the year!! :naughty:

• Toobold30

Posted April 05, 2005 - 07:44 PM

First, did you make sure the bolt was all the way through and flush on the right side. Also did you tighten the pinch bolts on top of the axle, if not this will allow the axle to spin inside the hub and forks.

• Yak

Posted April 05, 2005 - 07:47 PM

Take a look at the other side of the axle while you try and tighten it. I think that the axle is just turning. Tighten the 10mm bolts that clamp the axle on the right (as sitting on the bike) side and try again.

I seriously doubt you could strip those threads with normal hand tools unless you delibrately tried to with a breaker bar, or impact wrench.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cloute

Posted April 09, 2005 - 01:48 PM

OH you were right, I'm a shame...

I didn't tight the pinch bolts before DOH!

Now everything is find, thanks everybody for your inputs!

PS: the book says to torque the pinch bolts AFTER the wheel should say at least to temporarily tight those a little bit before but I should have tought about that ! :naughty:

• Butta

Posted April 09, 2005 - 06:34 PM

True, but I think the proper way would be to use a large allen wrench to hold the axle while tighening it....but the pinch bolts work, too...

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2005 - 08:09 PM

The wheel should also be centered after tightenimg the axle. Check the right end of the axle. It should be flush with the side of the axle lug. If not, loosen the pinch bolts on the right side and reposition the fork.

• ThrakenH04

Posted April 10, 2005 - 08:22 AM

True, but I think the proper way would be to use a large allen wrench to hold the axle while tighening it....but the pinch bolts work, too...

so far, I've never seen an allen wrench bigger then 12mm, and that allen size on the axle looks to be at lease 20mm which in my opinion is HUGE.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.