Hitch mounted MC Carrier

5 replies to this topic
  • Choporama

Posted April 05, 2005 - 04:59 PM

Hey guys,
Any suggestions/opinions regarding hitch mounted motorcycle carriers? I have an XR650R that I'd like to occasionally haul without pulling my trailer, so I'm looking for a good quality carrier.
Cabella's has one for $180, but I'm not sure if that's the best choice.

Any input/opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks!

• 600ish

Posted April 05, 2005 - 07:18 PM

I read this review last year and I bought this carrier for about $220 and I have been real happy with it. I have used it every weekend for about 8 months on some real rough roads and it is fine carrying my heavy XR600. I have seen a lot of cheaper models and the Sportcarrier is built real well and the design for the tie-downs is good because it comresses the whole suspension as you ratchet it down since the straps pull back on the bike, not forward like we're used to. Last Dec., I was rear ended by a moron in a pickup at a stop sign in the middle of nowhere with my bike on the back and it bend the left side of the carrier in about a foot. I was able to pull it back straight and it is as good as new. This is a quality, innovative carrier and I would recommend it for any big, heavy dirt bike. It has a 400 lb. capacity. I did buy
a folding aluminum ramp for $50 at Walmart with a 700 lb. capacity and it works great. It sure beats pulling a trailer for one bike. Walt :naughty:
www.dirtrider.com/drtested/141_0408_spectrum/

• ob1quixote

Posted April 05, 2005 - 07:35 PM

Made my own, note that it doesnt actually fit in the receiver, but does use the hitch frame. Even rewired 3rd brake lights {intended to fit into unused receivers} for 1157 bulbs for turn and brakes. And it carries 2 bikes, but you could set your up for a single. Very, very strong setup!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Robert :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bork

Posted April 05, 2005 - 08:05 PM

wow , impressive . whats on end of square tubing ? Bumpers ? Is the tubing 2" and how did you mount to unberside ? drill and bolt ? how many & dia of bolts . You take on and off always?

• ob1quixote

Posted April 05, 2005 - 08:39 PM

Tail lights on the end of each tube. 2in tube, 1/4in wall, just slips into the ends of the hitch crossmember. The rails have bolts welded on, and keep it from coming back out until the wingnuts and hitchpins are removed. I remove it, it only takes a couple minutes. Sticks out 5ft or so, would want to drive it like that without some load on it, red rails and reflective tape or not!!!!

Robert

• Choporama

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.