Used '01 YZ426 - checklist?

3 replies to this topic
  • Shuffler

Posted April 05, 2005 - 11:50 AM

Looking for some tips on what I should go through as a checklist on an '01 YZ426 I bought. Aside from the obvious things to look for like leaking fork seals, seepage at the radiator/water pump connections, fork/shock action, spokes/rims, etc., what are some other things to look for that could point to existing or potential problems? I'm not mechanically inclined to the point where I'm comfortable tearing into the engine, but I can turn a wrench and do some of the simpler stuff.

I already have the JD jet kit in mind, since I'm likely to do most of my riding around 5-10k feet here in CO. Maybe an air filter and the PowerCore IV pipe that I had on my WR. Probably need stiffer front/rear springs from stock, since my geared-up weight is around 220.

• TIGER44

Posted April 05, 2005 - 01:00 PM

Check for hairline cracks in the frame, especially the part that holds the oil. Check for welding on the frame or anywhere on the bike. Make sure the timing chain is self adjusting properly (not knocking against the engine, you will be able to tell). Make sure the tires/wheels aren't bent. Check for a little square sticker near the oil dipstick to see if it was raced professionally. Check for leaky forks. Am I speaking from experience? Yes!! Bought a used 01YZ250F because I was a newbie and it looked good. Had all of these problems plus some. Got an 02YZ426 now that is perfect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shuffler

Posted April 05, 2005 - 01:46 PM

Thanks. The guy said he had it gone over by a mechanic last year and the only real issue was a slightly tweaked subframe (common, from what I understand), but otherwise no problems.

What does the square sticker near the dipstick have to do with racing?

What indicates timing chain issues, aside from normal engine chatter?

• TIGER44

Posted April 05, 2005 - 01:53 PM

I didn't know at the time either. Apparently it means it was in a some type of pro race according to the local shop. As far as the timing chain on mine you could feel it (through your boot) rubbing on the engine casing as well hear a faint knocking sound that would go away sometimes. Off course it didn't make these sounds until I had purchased it.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.