Help: Metal Bits in Filter

5 replies to this topic
  • dangermouse007

Posted April 05, 2005 - 01:11 AM

Hi all,

Last time I did an oil/filter change the were a fair bit of Metal spurs or flakes in the Oil filter, I have done maybe 200-300 miles, changed the Oil last night, and the same thing again Metal spurs/Flakes..

Now I know from my road bike you will get this, but its I lot more than my road bike leaves after 1500 miles....

The bikes runs fine, and I have no problems, ????

Is this normal, or should I be worried...

• dangermouse007

Posted April 06, 2005 - 12:16 AM

• buck_y_lee

Posted April 06, 2005 - 12:20 AM

Normal. Engine, clutch and gearbox share the same oil and you use a lot more clutch on the dirt than you do on the road.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted April 06, 2005 - 03:39 AM

Yes this is normal. Kinda freaked me out too the first time I seen it.

• farkawi

Posted April 06, 2005 - 07:11 AM

Just like a battery; a machine kinda dies as it lives...metal to metal wear is the curse of machinery. High performance 4-stroke engines generate a fair amount of shrapnel. I highly recommend a magnetic drain plug and a stainless washable oil filter.

• doctorchopper

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:36 AM

I was worried about metal in my filter as well, everyone said its normal, small shinny flakes, no chunks, all was good for about another 500 miles, then fifth gear let go one me. I don't mean to worry you, could have been a coincidence, but thats what happened to me.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.