Greasable zerts?

11 replies to this topic
  • minion

Posted April 04, 2005 - 06:36 PM

Am I missing something, or does the swing-arm on a WR450 have no zerts? I went outside today to grease both my bikes (an 03 XT225 and an 05 WR450), but I couldn't find one on the 450. Is it a sealed system? Does it need any grease maintainence? Or am I blind? :naughty:

• Sylvain

Posted April 04, 2005 - 10:41 PM

There are no grease niplles on the blue bikes. You have to take apart the swingarm and linkage assly to clean and lub. There are a few threads on this subject on how to do it and how to add the zerks if you want. :naughty:

I added a zerk on the sterring headbearings and the frame mount suspension linkage.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted April 05, 2005 - 03:36 AM

There are no grease niplles on the blue bikes. You have to take apart the swingarm and linkage assly to clean and lub. There are a few threads on this subject on how to do it and how to add the zerks if you want. :naughty:

I added a zerk on the sterring headbearings and the frame mount suspension linkage.

How often are the swingarm and steering head bearings supposed to be cleaned/greased? After reading through some of the threads about the swingarm bearings... thats not a job I'm looking forward to (and Im a pretty good mechanic lol)

• ddialogue

Posted April 05, 2005 - 04:28 AM

How often are the swingarm and steering head bearings supposed to be cleaned/greased?

That depends entirely on the conditions in which you ride and the manner in which you wash your bike. Some guys ride in very muddy conditions and are constantly submerging their bikes in water crossings. In that situation you would want to regrease frequently. If you power wash your bike and are not careful about getting water into the bearings then you'll want to regrease often as well.

I installed zerks on my suspension and give them a squirt every month.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted April 05, 2005 - 04:37 AM

Yeah I plan to add Zerts when I take it appart the first time too, will make future maintenance easier.

My bikes only got about 300miles on it now and the swingarms only been submerged once (quick 18" deep creek crossing) Wouldnt dare touch my beloved bike with a pressure washer, good ol garden hose with warm water is all she ever see's :naughty:

• Sylvain

Posted April 05, 2005 - 06:04 PM

How often are the swingarm and steering head bearings supposed to be cleaned/greased? After reading through some of the threads about the swingarm bearings... thats not a job I'm looking forward to (and Im a pretty good mechanic lol)

I clean and relub the swingarm assly at the beginning of each season. Which makes it app every 6 to 7 months of riding for people able to ride all year long. The only problem I got was with the lower shock bearing. I neglected a mid season check up and I had to replace it. There is no room for a grease nipple there. It seems to be a high wear item so monthly relub should be ok.

Concerning the steering head bearings : I squirt shots of synthetic grease each time I change the oil. Since the frame is also an oil tank the grease tends to get hot. So you have to use grease that can withstand high temp so it won't run out. I had to replace the head bearings when the bike was almost brand new. Yamaha doesn't use much grease and the top one was already rusted. I replaced it, added the grease zerk. No play since then. :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dominator426

Posted April 08, 2005 - 01:26 AM

I decided against a steering head grease fitting to avoid having a pound of grease compressed on the steering shaft. There's a lot of space in there! Besides, it's good to clean those bearings, grease and retorque periodically... By the way, I tapped my 2 rear link bolts for 10 mm grease fittings and didn't need helicoils.
I like my Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic Racing (NLGI#2) grease for ultimate protection and performance; https://www.amsoil.c...efront/grg.aspx

• Bamster

Posted April 08, 2005 - 04:09 AM

By the way, I tapped my 2 rear link bolts for 10 mm grease fittings and didn't need helicoils.

I though about doing this also but read somewhere that the pressure of squeezing grease in there pops the seals. :naughty:

• ulmanb

Posted April 08, 2005 - 04:19 AM

On one of my spare bikes, the steering head has a grease fitting. it seems extremely messy to me. That extra grease attracts dirt. I have also heard that the grease pressure pops the seals.

At first it seemed like a good idea to me, but now it seems like a messy deal.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted April 08, 2005 - 04:27 AM

too much grease will pop the seals in anything (U-joints on your pickup, ball joints ect)

The trick is just put a pump or 2, if you see grease squirting out at ya, you're already about 3 pumps too late.

• beezer

Posted April 08, 2005 - 05:02 AM

The seals on Yamahas are not made to be greased. It deforms the seal lips and they don't seal as well.

At the end of the season I just clean and regrease.

A pressure washer is what kills lots of bearings on dirt bikes.

• dominator426

Posted April 09, 2005 - 12:30 AM

I use a slow-discharge grease gun and Amsoil's synthetic grease, which is relatively light for a NLGI#2, and have had no problems...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.