How often should I change my oil?

36 replies to this topic
  • Dwood11

Posted April 04, 2005 - 03:51 PM

I want to know how often do you guys change your oil? What kind of oil do you use? I hear so many different things from people about four strokes and how often to change the oil. Some say every two rides. Some say every 100 miles. I put a 100 miles on my bike in one day out in Jawbone so I dont know what to think. What do you think?

99 WR 400 F

• ddialogue

Posted April 04, 2005 - 05:06 PM

I change mine roughly every 200 miles. The oil gets dirty fast on my 03 and oil is cheap. :naughty:

• sleeman

Posted April 04, 2005 - 05:08 PM

Dependin on what type of oil you use it should be changed as soon as you notice it getting dark.

• NewBlue

Posted April 04, 2005 - 06:29 PM

I recommend that you purchase a zip-ty magnetic drain plug, it will always pull stuff out of the oil. I like the synthetics. They have higher film strengths and can take the heat that these monsters generate. I personally have taken a liking to Motul 300v. It is a pure ester based synthetic. It's pricey at $14.00 a liter, but I consider it cheap insurance. I think most people in here are changing the oil after: each race day, 100-200 miles, or after they see a signifigant color change in their oil. I would use your judgement as well. You will know if it was really dusty, if the bike had some excessing over-heating, or if you were hammering the dog sh*t out of it. You will also know if there is a chance that you got some water in the crank case. Clean your air filter often as well. I clean mine after each ride. I tend to over-maintain, so use your own judgement.

• Desracer

Posted April 04, 2005 - 09:38 PM

Get an hourmeter and change your oil by how long the motor has been run. Some trails I ride can take an hour to go a mile, which is way more severe than riding a mile in a straight line. I change oil at 20 hours of riding, sometimes its dirty and sometimes its clean. Bottom line oil is cheap, the engine is not and an hourmeter can help you set up your maintenance schedule.

• alfie

Posted April 05, 2005 - 07:27 AM

i change my in my 01 wr400 every 200 miles of trail riding or after each Enduro or H&H event. i run fully synth oil with stock brass yamaha oil filters changed and cleaned each time. this may be a bit over kill but oil is cheap and i like my engine not to go bang.

• bluethundaaaa

Posted April 05, 2005 - 02:03 PM

I change my oil after every race day or if trail riding after every 200 miles. I still have a case of the old Mobil 1 red cap synthetic...I will probably switch to Amzoil after I run out of that. I also have a magnetic drain plug and change my filter every other oil change.

• bottomfeeder2

Posted April 05, 2005 - 02:44 PM

I put a 100 miles on my bike in one day out in Jawbone so I dont know what to think. What do you think?

Wow - You must not have any kids. We're lucky to break 50 miles in a day out there.

• yamahauler44

Posted April 05, 2005 - 05:01 PM

i change it every 3 rides and the oil filter every 6.

• WheelsUp

Posted April 05, 2005 - 06:42 PM

8-10 hours or 200 miles.
Rotella T full synthetic 5w-40
Scott's filter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StreetbikePimp

Posted April 05, 2005 - 08:16 PM

I change mine after every race. That includes about 4-6 hours of practice before the race, so I'm changing it every 7-10 hours. But I also use cheap motor oil.

• Dwood11

Posted April 06, 2005 - 03:01 PM

Is synthetic motor oil for a car ok to use in a bike?

• sleeman

Posted April 06, 2005 - 03:04 PM

A non energy conserving oil would be ok such as AMSOIL.

• Garry_on_a_426

Posted April 06, 2005 - 03:07 PM

Mobil 1 Red cap is 'car' synthetic motor oil

Works great.

• WheelsUp

Posted April 06, 2005 - 03:19 PM

Except that red cap has been discontinued.

What is currently on the shelves as red cap (in the new bottle) is not synthetic.

So far, it appears that the new gold cap EP 15w-50 is okay, but Mobil may change the formula and make it an EC oil.

I'm using Rotella T full synthetic 5w-40.

• SWD6

Posted April 06, 2005 - 06:10 PM

15w40 rotella 300km road or 6 hours dirt. Does this make my post count move :naughty:

• SWD6

Posted April 06, 2005 - 06:11 PM

IT MOVED :naughty: IT MOVED :D :D :naughty:

• SWD6

Posted April 06, 2005 - 06:11 PM

One more time :naughty: :D :naughty:

• kirkw

Posted April 07, 2005 - 10:46 AM

the real question is not how often should I change it, but how often do I want to do major maintenance. If you ride it hard under load (like MX track or tight trials and climbs), more frequently. More trail cruising less. It is cheap insurance and takes such little time I opt for the more frequent intervals of between 10-20 hrs.

• Dwood11

Posted March 04, 2006 - 05:52 PM

I have always been a huge fan of yamalube 4R for my bike, but no one ever says they use it. Is it good for the motor and the gears? Am I spending money on yamaha's name? Also I am running one of those metal oil filters, but not the reusable kind. Can I take that one out and reuse it after trying to clean it? Or is that just not a good idea? Oh yah, and I really think that the magnetic drain plug works awsome. Catches a lot of black guey crap that would otherwise be floating around in the case some were.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.