Leaky fork seals

4 replies to this topic
  • Gerry B

Posted April 04, 2005 - 01:01 PM

Was out riding at Carnegie on Saturday and i looked down and noticed that my left fork seal was pouring out oil. So, I guess it's time for a new fork seal. Does anybody know any place to go and get my forks fixed at a decent price in the sacramento, CA area? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!

• drewpeacock

Posted April 04, 2005 - 02:18 PM

before you put in new fork seals try pulling the fork shield off then find a small screwdriver and pull down the dust cover (seal). Now get down low and look under where you pulled the seal down from. Take your screwdriver to pry off the retainer clip. Now find an old film negative and stick it up under the upper seal and go around the fork tube a couple of times. Put it back together and with some luck the leak will be gone. Worked for me more than once and a whole lot cheaper. :naughty: here is a write up with pics http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=213525

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigDesto

Posted April 04, 2005 - 02:41 PM

Do it yourself!!! Very easy to do!! :naughty:

• Gerry B

Posted April 04, 2005 - 02:42 PM

Thanks!! I'll give it a try. I had new suspension done on my bike about 6 months ago. I had white bros suspension put in the front and the rear with Eibach springs. I wouldn't think seals would go out that fast. I'll give that trick a try. Thanks!

• simimi

Posted April 04, 2005 - 05:48 PM

I have a problem fork also. Seems I have a small nick in the fork tube and every few rides it must let dirt into the seal. I thought I heard you can pack the seal/wiper parts with grease is that correct? How about the Fork Seal Savers? think those would help?

Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.