frame oil screen, is it really necessary?

15 replies to this topic
  • Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted April 04, 2005 - 10:42 AM

Changed my oil last weekend on my 2000 426 and decided to have a look at the frame oil screen for the first time. It was clean, but tore up from the previous owner and had zero filtering capability.
Does this screen do anything besides catch large particles from entering the motor? Does it help regulate the flow of oil or anything like that?

• Unibomber

Posted April 04, 2005 - 10:50 AM

Funny you should mention this, just yesterday I checked my oil screen for the first time since I bought my '04, and that was a year ago. There was nothing in it. :naughty:

• MichiganMXer

Posted April 04, 2005 - 11:15 AM

I bought a new one because I stipped the first. That effing thing goes in at like 65 ft lbs. I've checked it plenty over the past 3 yrs and have never found 1 thing in it.

I'll post if I find anything when I switch em

• grayracer513

Posted April 04, 2005 - 12:36 PM

The function of the frame screen is precisely the same as the function of the crankcase oil pickup screen in a wet sump engine like a CRF, or the one in your car, for that matter. So, I ask you how often do you think you "should" check those? The frame screen gets recommended for inspection simply because it is inspectable, at least, compared to the one in the crankcase.

However, if it's damaged, you should replace it.

I usually suggest inspecting it once at 5-10 hours on a new bike, or 2 hours after any major engine work, to look for chunks of sealer, lint, or other junk. Otherwise, only if you're suspicious. Or twice a year. Whatever.

• tnl

Posted April 05, 2005 - 09:39 AM

It only takes about an extra 10 minutes to check it! I think it's worth it. The book states that it should be checked every oil change.

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2005 - 12:19 PM

The book says to drain the oil lines, too. Do you do that?

• tnl

Posted April 05, 2005 - 02:09 PM

Yea. I blow the lines out too with my compressor! :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2005 - 02:37 PM

I see. Then are you also one of those who runs a non O-ring chain and spends two hours a week washing, drying, lubing and readjusting it? I just want to see how much unnecessary work you volunteer for.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ250F_Rider

Posted April 05, 2005 - 02:55 PM

The book says to drain the oil lines, too. Do you do that?

I do but because I'm too lazy to drain the frame bolt and the oil line.

All you have to do is loosen the banjo bolt holding the oil line to the crankcase under the water pump and it will drain not only the oil line but also the frame as well. That and I prefer not looking rediculous standing there holding a milk jug under the frame bolt trying to keep the oil from drenching the tire and the floor too.

But hey no one said it was mandatory to remove all the contaminated oil from the bike when changint it, or did they? :naughty:

• tnl

Posted April 05, 2005 - 06:20 PM

No. Just want to stick to a good maintenance routine. I care alot about my bike and just wanna keep it up and running. Got any more tips?

• tnl

Posted April 05, 2005 - 06:50 PM

Most chain/sprocket wear is from the grit that still exists on the chain after washing your bike. An o ring chain does not prevent mud build up. The mud here in Mississippi is pretty sloppy all the time unlike the Southern California area. Wish I could go back there again and ride :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2005 - 09:43 PM

But hey no one said it was mandatory to remove all the contaminated oil from the bike when changint it, or did they? :naughty:

Considering that there's roughly 100cc that you can't get out without splitting the cases I'd say no one said it was possible. :naughty:

Use a drain pan instead of a milk jug and the frame drain is by far easier and neater than the oil line. Holding it up only looks ridiculous until the oil comes out at an 80 degree angle.

• Slowmotion426

Posted April 06, 2005 - 12:16 AM

(writin' all of this down).....

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted April 06, 2005 - 03:15 AM

next time you drain the frame, crack the oil line loose and measure how much comes out. It's not insignificant, and I dont know about you but I do lean my bikes over considerably to get as much oil out as possible. Leaning them over in both directions definitely drains a lot more oil.

You dont have to drain the oil line if you dont want to, but to convince yourself that holding a jug up to the frame and consequentially leaving the oil in the line is somehow easier and better than just loosenening a banjo bolt and letting all of the oil drain out into a pan laying on the floor as you hold a beer in both hands, well that is just plain silly. :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:51 AM

next time you drain the frame, crack the oil line loose and measure how much comes out. It's not insignificant,

A 14" long section of 7mm tube will contain 25cc of oil (1.6% of your total 1500cc). Since you leave at least twice that much in the return line (it has a standpipe inside the frame that runs to near the top of the tank), and 50cc more at least stays in the engine even if you turn it upside down, I don't see the point. :naughty: You and I change our oil out long before it gets dangerously contaminated with much of anything. It's probably only, to make it simple let's say, 50% as dirty as we would ever allow it to be, and probably not that much, really. Then if we drain 1400cc (93%) of the oil and replace it, we now have 7% of the oil 50% as dirty as we'll put up with, which means that the entire oil supply is 3.5% dirty.

Every engine made retains some oil when it's drained.

and I dont know about you but I do lean my bikes over considerably to get as much oil out as possible. Leaning them over in both directions definitely drains a lot more oil.

50cc at best.

You dont have to drain the oil line if you dont want to, but to convince yourself that holding a jug up to the frame

Try an 18" drain pan, they really are easier to hit than a milk jug, and after the first 5-6 seconds, you can put it on the floor, too.

to convince yourself that... leaving the oil in the line is somehow easier and better than just loosenening a banjo bolt and letting all of the oil drain out into a pan laying on the floor

...and the frame, and the skid plate, and then washing the drool off the engine and frame and skid plate,... gee this is fun! :D

as you hold a beer in both hands,

I may be old, but I can still hold a good sized bottle with one hand, thank you. :naughty:

well that is just plain silly. :D

If you say so. :cry: :D

(writin' all of this down).....

:D :D

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:34 AM

Well to each his own then.

I myself prefer to not have to hold anything for first 5 or 6 seconds unless its cold and frosty or warm and giggly. And since I have to wipe the left side of the bike down, another paper towel for the right wont bother me too much. Heck I usually have enough beer left over to rinse it down so there hardly any on the bike anyhow. :naughty:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.