Wr/YZ 426 Subframes

3 replies to this topic
  • Skioobydoo

Posted April 04, 2005 - 06:13 AM

Can anyone tell me if a '02 YZF426 subframe will fit a n '02 WR426? Are the number plates the same also? Thanks

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted April 05, 2005 - 02:58 AM

Yep, YZ aluminium subframe will bolt straight on, BUT, you won't have both mounts for the coolant reservoir. A zip tie works, but to do it properly, you'll need to weld another mount on. I used to have my coolant reservoir mounted with just the one bolt, and a large zip tie on the other mounting point, no problem at all. :naughty: Sideplates on the Australian spec' WR426 are wider on the RH side (not sure about other countries spec's, probably the same?), to clear the large round stock muffler. YZF sideplate is narrower on the RHS because of oval shaped stock muffler. LH YZF sideplate is the same as WRF, except it doesn't have cutouts for the coolant reservoir. It is a simple job to cut them out with a Stanley type knife. Hope this helps :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Skioobydoo

Posted April 06, 2005 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the help. What are the pros/ cons of running without the overflow tank? Do I need a different radiator cap?

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted April 07, 2005 - 04:26 AM

If you are riding in really tight stuff, I would leave the coolant reservoir where it is, in case you ever get it boiling. With mine, I just chose to remove it, along with fitting YZ426 tank, seat, rear guard etc. Mainly to lose a bit of bulk from the bike. It worked :naughty: Most of the riding I do now is fairly open, but even when I rode in the bush a fair bit, I never came close to boiling my WR. I left my original rad' cap, no problem. The first day that I rode without the reservoir, the bike puked a little coolant (very little) when I stopped, but it obviously found it's own happy level, as it hasn't leaked a drop since. With the rad' cap removed, the level now is just a little below the filler neck. Cheers.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.