can a 2002 426 shed weight? Any diet plan?

14 replies to this topic
  • BiegOne

Posted April 03, 2005 - 07:41 PM

i am just trying to figure out the best weigh...no pun intended...to shed some pounds on my 2002 426...i just bought a white bros. e-series full titanium exhaust system,.an sdg seat...but what else will entice significant weight loss? any suggestions...

• NAFLASH

Posted April 03, 2005 - 09:16 PM

wet sump kit from Dr.D will help
http://www.dubachracing.com/

• yz_for_me

Posted April 03, 2005 - 10:05 PM

How much are you willing to spend? Check out lightestyzf's post in this thread

He's done far more than most people would and says he got 35 lbs for $20K! :naughty:

• cowboyona426

Posted April 04, 2005 - 09:51 PM

The Dr. D wet sump kit is (a) no longer available and (:naughty: not really worth it unless you change the oil after every ride. You lose so much oil capacity that it's not worth the risk IMO. lightestyzf did a heck of a job making his girl lose weight, but it came with a price! He even had a chromoly frame made for it! :naughty:

• sleeman

Posted April 05, 2005 - 04:58 AM

Carbon fiber.

• grayracer513

Posted April 05, 2005 - 12:25 PM

The Dr. D wet sump kit is (a) no longer available and (:naughty: not really worth it unless you change the oil after every ride. You lose so much oil capacity that it's not worth the risk IMO.

I totally agree. Some things, like dry sump oiling, shouldn't be given up with out a fight. The trade off just ain't worth it.

Look for things like the lighest available rear sprocket, nylon chain guides, plastic disk covers instead of shark fins, Ti footpeg$, glide plates in place of skid plates, that kind of stuff.

• Jeremiah

Posted April 05, 2005 - 12:33 PM

Just a checking question...do you have any weight to lose or are you already really skinny? It might be easier to drop ten pounds, (depending on your body fat), than to shed 10 pounds off your bike.

No disrepect intended, it's just expensive to drop weight off these bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigDesto

Posted April 05, 2005 - 01:03 PM

Change all your nuts and bolts with Ti.

• BiegOne

Posted April 27, 2005 - 11:51 AM

does anyone know how much the weight savings is with a dsp carbon fiber air box?

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted April 27, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Hell yeah!

You can save about 20 pounds if you remove all the gas and oil. This is a little secret I learned from the guys at Dirt Rider. :naughty:

• Ga426owner

Posted April 27, 2005 - 01:54 PM

Get out your wallet and buy Ti nuts/bolts, axels, Ti shock spring, pegs.....$1500-2500 bucks
or weight for the 06 - :naughty:

• trickwarrior

Posted April 27, 2005 - 03:09 PM

I think the beest way for your bike to lose weight is for you to personally lose weigth. No trying to be funny, not only will you weight less you will be in better shape to use this new found power. Shedding weight from the bike is tougher than just eatting alittle healthier. Not speaking from experience could stand to lose some pounds myself. :naughty:

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted April 27, 2005 - 03:19 PM

I bought a Dr. D wet sump kit and never put it on. I talked to Dr. D and he told me it would not suit me well because I ride a lot of desert. I still have the kit if anyone is looking for one. It was made to reduce weight on the top of the bike but you need to change oil religiously. It is for track applications only. I wish it fit on my 250f.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 28, 2005 - 05:29 AM

I bought a Dr. D wet sump kit and never put it on. I talked to Dr. D and he told me it would not suit me well because I ride a lot of desert. I still have the kit if anyone is looking for one. It was made to reduce weight on the top of the bike but you need to change oil religiously. It is for track applications only. I wish it fit on my 250f.

Talked to the "Dr" a few years ago about this product - Oil is changed after every ride and every race...........too much effort/too much oil for that amt of weight savings -

lose 5-10lbs on a diet - much more feasible :naughty:

• Satch0922

Posted April 28, 2005 - 07:07 AM

I think the beest way for your bike to lose weight is for you to personally lose weigth. No trying to be funny, not only will you weight less you will be in better shape to use this new found power. Shedding weight from the bike is tougher than just eatting alittle healthier. Not speaking from experience could stand to lose some pounds myself. :naughty:

I have to laugh when I see this arguement. I have not lost a pound (probably picked up a few ! LOL) but the jump from a 426 to an 05 yz250 was a real eye opener. A lighter bike is a lighter bike regardless of how much the rider weighs. A lighter bike handles better, jumps better, is faster and just plain funner to ride. I like thumpers and you guys know I loved my 426...however, I spent alot of time and money trying to make it lighter and more managable. The new bike I have is light years (no pun intended) ahead of the 426 in agility, handling and fun factor. Rather than wrestling a freight train around the track now I am enjoying flicking a bike a round and not worrying about hard landings or coming up short. After having this bike for 4 months even the new 450s seam like a cow when I ride them. Yes they have tons of torque but man do they feel sluggish and heavy.

My advice, decide what you are going to use your bike for and tweak it the best you can. If having a light bike is your goal, I am sorry to say your on the wrong machine. The 426 is a great bike and has alot of positive qualities...light weight and agility are not two of them though.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.