Zip Ty Fuel Screw Fell Out

6 replies to this topic
  • Moondogger

Posted April 03, 2005 - 01:25 AM

Today was my 3rd ride on my '05 WR450 after I installed the Zip Ty fuel screw. I noticed during the ride there was more than usual backfiring on deceleration, erratic idle, and hard starting. After inspecting the bike I noticed the fuel screw had fallen out.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

What should I do now?

• shawnwt

Posted April 03, 2005 - 04:54 AM

do a search on the ZIP TY fuel screw. I remember last week or two a few guys
mention they had the same problem. No problem with mine 200 miles and counting Good luck

• Ga426owner

Posted April 03, 2005 - 05:56 AM

Today was my 3rd ride on my '05 WR450 after I installed the Zip Ty fuel screw. I noticed during the ride there was more than usual backfiring on deceleration, erratic idle, and hard starting. After inspecting the bike I noticed the fuel screw had fallen out.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

What should I do now?

Did you make sure the spring and oring from the stock fuel screw were attached to the Zip Ty? I have had mine on for 2 years no problem -
Repurchase the screw, spring and oring (the oring goes on the top )- install to full tight - back out 1.5 turns to start -

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wnbecker

Posted April 03, 2005 - 02:15 PM

Don't forget the washer. Also be careful when installing the Zip Ty screw on the '05 WR450. I removed the aluminum plug from the float bowl after removing the bowl, a gentle tap on a small diameter punch will pop it out. Noticed the Zip Ty screw (or stock screw) will not pass through the hole in the bowl, the screw's threads are slightly larger in diameter than the hole. I filed the hole with a round swiss pattern file until the screw passed through. If the screw is forced through the hole the threads of the screw may get damaged and will damage the threads in the carb body. This could be the reason some are having trouble with it falling out. The o-ring is first (against the carb body), washer next, spring last. It can be difficult to get all 3 on the screw and then in the body while the carb is mounted on the bike. I found it easier to install it with the carb removed. I also replaced the butter soft phillips head float bowl screws with allen heads. I believe '04 and '03 don't have the aluminum plug and smaller diameter hole.

• Unibomber

Posted April 03, 2005 - 04:16 PM

I have heard of ZipTys falling out in the past, and I have like $200 in Zipty stuff so please dont think im knocking Zipty, I personally use Kouba Link t-handle fuel screws, and I have never had a problem.
http://www.koubalink.com/

• Roostn67

Posted April 03, 2005 - 05:36 PM

The Zip Ty screw falling out is actually quite common. I ended up going with a SCR and it has a small O-ring down on the base of the shaft that adds some drag on the screw as it threads in to keep it from backing out. It also acts as a seal when things get nasty and keeps the screw from sticking inside.

• Roosted

Posted April 03, 2005 - 06:45 PM

Stretch the spring a little bit before putting in back in. This will put more tension on the screw.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.