Elec. system after Battery Removal?

15 replies to this topic
  • wr-ryder

Posted April 02, 2005 - 03:18 PM

I have decided to remove the e-start system from my 03 wr450. After removing the battery, anything special I should do with wiring or electrial system?? I do not want to damage or lose my lighting system (or anything else) . Starter will be removed soon also.

• L8TBRKR

Posted April 25, 2005 - 02:24 PM

Well, not sure how you guys are managing to remove the battery without any other mods? I removed the battery and the bike wouldn't start. Put the battery back in and fired right up. Disconnected the battery while bike was running and it died. What else are people doing?

• DesertWR

Posted April 25, 2005 - 02:34 PM

Leaving the estart on & battery in! :naughty:

• ncmountainman

Posted April 26, 2005 - 04:44 AM

you must ground the system with the wire that goes to the - batt,connect it to the frame :naughty: i've had several different people tell me it wouldn't work but i haven't burned down in the 6 mos. its been like that. lights still work too.

• JTWR450

Posted April 26, 2005 - 08:41 AM

I bought my WR because of the electric start. Leave it in and push that magic button. OOOOOOHHHHHH so nice!!!!

• L8TBRKR

Posted April 26, 2005 - 09:12 AM

Kinda figured that was what it was... just wanted to make sure! Thanks.

• wr-ryder

Posted April 26, 2005 - 03:40 PM

I just put pulled the battery and put electrical type around the wires the went to the battery. Rode twice and no problems yet and lights still work. I would have liked to keep the estart, but it never worked that good. Plus I was worried about the woodruff key issue also, and did not want to spend the $ to do the upgrade. I think I will take NC's advise about grounding to the frame.

• 450high

Posted April 28, 2005 - 01:57 AM

Does someone sell a plug to go in place of the starter, mine's taken a dump again and i'm geting sick in tired of the expense to repair.2000 k's great bike yamaha !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • edwardsp

Posted April 28, 2005 - 10:38 AM

I removed my battery and put tape around the exposed wire ends. That was 1 1/2 years ago and it has worked fine. The operation of my headlights was not affected, although the engine has to be running for them to work.

• ncmountainman

Posted April 28, 2005 - 12:38 PM

Does someone sell a plug to go in place of the starter, mine's taken a dump again and i'm geting sick in tired of the expense to repair.2000 k's great bike yamaha !

a automotive rubber freeze plug 1 1/8" -1 1/4" works. i don't know if australians have freeze plugs though?

• mmi100sguy

Posted April 28, 2005 - 05:25 PM

i'm lead to believe(my instructor mentioned it yesterday) there is some sort of battery eliminator something or other. kinda like putting a large capacitor in place of the battery so you could keep the e-start but lose the weight of the battery.

i have no clue...... has anyone heard of anything of the sort??

• wr-ryder

Posted April 28, 2005 - 06:31 PM

http://www.4strokeso...atteryelim.html

will not work for e start

• mmi100sguy

Posted April 28, 2005 - 07:10 PM

http://www.4strokeso...atteryelim.html

will not work for e start

cool, thanks for the link.

i wonder why it wouldn't work for the e-start since a capacitor builds up a pretty good charge. well, who knows.

do they mean you can't use it at all if you have the estart, or you just can't use your estart with it??

• dbone

Posted April 28, 2005 - 11:42 PM

Capsitor discharges all of it's engery at once,super high amps.So your at MMI, so am I,what clinic or class?Day mid or eve class,I'm in the eve class we should ride sometime...

• 450high

Posted April 30, 2005 - 09:09 PM

Thanks ncmountainman.i take it's just a rubber plug you glue in, or is it what we call a welsh plug.There brass and punch into the water jackets of a engine block?

• ncmountainman

Posted May 03, 2005 - 03:25 PM

the one i'm referring to is rubber but has a bolt through it that tightens and squishes the plug t'ill its tight in the hole, there's not really any pressure there so just about anything that fits tightly(and won't melt) could be siliconed in :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.