softening suspension up on wr 400

10 replies to this topic
  • treukauf

Posted April 01, 2005 - 11:17 PM

Ok I've been playing with the compression and rebound clickers trying to soften the ride on my 2000 wr 400. What is the relationship between compression(how fast it goes down) and rebound( how fast if comes back up) Clicker wise. I'm riding extremely rough ground with big bumbs at mostly slower speeds. What can I do to make it softer. I'm going to make the compresson really soft but what should I do with the rebound. Isn't slow rebound good for big bumps and fast rebound good for smaller ones?

Also whats the deal with the the high and low speed compression on the rear shock.( at least thats what I thought the outer nut on the resevoir was for.)

Just wondering if anyone found some good settings. Clicks on forks? clicks on rear shock.

need help fast. thanks.

ps my tile floor is softer than these seats lol

• treukauf

Posted April 02, 2005 - 04:28 PM

Still can't get it soft enough. How do you guys make it soft for your rocky trail riding. Has anyone tried different springrates up front. The back is about right. Its just that the front deflects off of rocks and is pretty harsh. Would less fork fluid help.

• treukauf

Posted April 02, 2005 - 04:29 PM

Still can't get it soft enough. How do you guys make it soft for your rocky trail riding. Has anyone tried different springrates up front. The back is about right. Its just that the front deflects off of rocks and is pretty harsh. Would less fork fluid help.

Also, These seats are unbelievably horrible. Way to hard. hurts butt bad bad. Where is a cheap place to get new softer foam, or is it easier to buy another softer seat?

• treukauf

Posted April 03, 2005 - 11:23 AM

Has anyone done any mods to soften the suspension?

• firestarter

Posted April 03, 2005 - 01:13 PM

Yes i did,,, i bought some used springs of a 00 YZ125,,, and they made a real difference,, the 3 springs of the 125 are made for lighter riders like me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trickwarrior

Posted April 03, 2005 - 07:57 PM

OK please go into a little more detail on this 125 you did cause I can see me liking my bike a whole lot more with a softer front end. You say 3 springs, explain please. My 99 wr has only one spring. I assume you are talking bout the Yz's springs. What do you weight and how much did the springs run ya?

• firestarter

Posted April 03, 2005 - 08:21 PM

I did a research on racetech.com,, to find out the reccomended springs for my weight and type of riding,,, and they come up,, that i need softer fork springs -( i cant remember exactly the kgs..),,, so i checked that the YZ125 has the same kind of springs as mi WR ,, but softer,, so i got them at a local shop for about 50 bucks used,,,

• treukauf

Posted April 03, 2005 - 10:08 PM

sounds like a good idea. It should be cheap too. What about different oil height and viscosity. Would a thinner oil help or does the problem lie in the springs.

Firestarter. Did the yz springs change ride height or affect handling geometry at all. O yeah what years of yz springs will interchange with my 00 wr 400?

Did they help the forks not deflect off small rocks?

• trickwarrior

Posted April 04, 2005 - 07:04 AM

Yamaha recommends only to use 01 oil in the WR forks but the tech at my dealer say I could use the PJ1 comp, bout half the price. Check it out :naughty:

• neilking

Posted April 04, 2005 - 09:07 AM

Have you changed your fork oil yet? I replaced mine with belray 5w and it helped a lot. The original oil looked like mud.

• vmxr

Posted April 04, 2005 - 09:31 AM

I have had great success dialing in both my 00 WR400 and my 03 WR450 using Fineline's Basic Suspension Setup DVD/VHS. I was amazed at how good stock suspension could be when set up correctly for the individual rider. Probably the most amazing thing to me was the method used to dial in hi/lo speed compression and the correct order to make adjustments. Highly recommeded! ... And no, I don't work for them or have any other association.

Fineline

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.