foot peg?

44 replies to this topic
  • bigtom17

Posted April 05, 2005 - 01:31 PM

Yeah I saw a blurb about this Bike (CRF600X) on Speed channel last week. There were considerations to have the tire pressure auto adjust PSI same as how the Humvees do for desert conditions. Sounds like it could be a hell of a Desert Bike. Not sure if that mod made it to final build or not.

• miguelitro

Posted April 05, 2005 - 01:59 PM

No they decided to go with on board air, its too bad you gotta stop but hey its better than nothing!
Did you guys hear the rumor about the two-wheel drive version. I have a friend who saw one in the back of a truck through lots of dust at the staging area here and said it looked really TRICK!!!
Honda is definatly gonna dominate with this ride!

• JackAttack

Posted April 05, 2005 - 02:48 PM

I'm sure that even the two-wheel drive version will be lighter and have MUCH more power than the Husky 510. :naughty:

:naughty:

• Husky_Forever

Posted April 05, 2005 - 06:26 PM

Fix that peg now. It really hurts when you are standing up on the pegs and it lets go. :naughty: Steny

• miguelitro

Posted April 05, 2005 - 06:35 PM

I actually got lucky and have this defect to thank-
Laid the old pig down in 5th gear at the O wells and while sliding I could feel my ankle wrapping around the peg. Then, SNAP, the peg broke saving my ankle! Luckily I only had a sprained ankle for a month and only had to ride back around 15 miles.
Getting a 650 soon and will have to get the FIX
interested to hear what you go with.
Mike

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 05, 2005 - 09:06 PM

I have the extended warantee on my BRP and don't want to lose my frame coverage by drilling a hole in it. I talked to one fellow who cracked the frame three times while under warantee. Can you imagine what that would have cost him if he would have had to pay for it out of pocket? It cracked in the same weld all three times.

I have ordered a supply of the peg bolts from Honda Service Parts. They should be here this week. I will let you know what my 1-1/2 year old bolts look like when I replace them. My peg looks fine and I've never had any trouble but you guys have definately scared me. I am going to put mine on a routine schedule for replacing.

• bigtom17

Posted April 06, 2005 - 06:52 AM

I wonder if there were a batch of bad bolts or something. I am 6'7" and probably 300lb with gear on, you would think I would break them if anyone would. I have probably 3000 miles on my pig and have never had a bolt break. I have replaced the peg bolts on the right side once because I found them bent slightly. I was pulling these bolts to inspect them a year ago and found them bent a little so I replaced them but have not had any other issues. I am not doubting they have issues, its on my mind while I ride all the time. How about Stainless Steel bolts, would they help??

• Desmo

Posted April 06, 2005 - 07:48 AM

I wonder if there were a batch of bad bolts or something. I am 6'7" and probably 300lb with gear on, you would think I would break them if anyone would. I have probably 3000 miles on my pig and have never had a bolt break. I have replaced the peg bolts on the right side once because I found them bent slightly. I was pulling these bolts to inspect them a year ago and found them bent a little so I replaced them but have not had any other issues. I am not doubting they have issues, its on my mind while I ride all the time. How about Stainless Steel bolts, would they help??

I'm not a metal expert, but I think that stainless is very brittle and will likely snap, before bending. You would be better off with stock bolts. If you do not want to do the kritter fix, I'd get the Summers Racing shims, replace the bolts and loctite them in and maybe carry a spare set in the tool box (or on the bike for long rides).

The amount that you drill the frame is very, very little for the kritter fix. It really just barely enlarges/cleans up the hole.

Really, if it is on your mind, it may affect your riding, I do not think that I will ever worry about the peg again.

I hope this helps. I'll post later if any negative issues come up with the kritter fix, but I do not expect any.

Scott

• pb1963

Posted April 06, 2005 - 08:08 AM

I'm with Bigtom, he and I are about the same size and I had 1500-2000 miles on my '01 and never had any problem. I never even pulled the bolts out to look at them, just checked every now and then. Now that I have a different BRP and actually know about the problem the POS is probably going to break on me now! :naughty:

• jws

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:47 AM

i am 6' 4'' and 300lbs also - mine broke :naughty: get the kritter fix before you break your leg :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1stepcloser

Posted April 06, 2005 - 10:05 AM

Get the fix.

I didnt break them, but they have bent, twice, each time causing slight deformation to the surrounding frame and bolt hole.

I had Kritter modify my peg, its a great fix, and I havent had any issues with it since.

The way I see it, if the bolts can bend, they will surely break. And thats not something I want happening when I'm airing out over a riser in 5th gear.

$75.00 is pretty cheap insurance. :naughty:

• qadsan

Posted April 06, 2005 - 10:33 AM

...$75.00 is pretty cheap insurance. :naughty:

It's certainly cheaper than a trip to the hospital.

There's definitely a descrepency between bikes as to the fitment of the bolts. One of my bikes had a pretty loose fit while others were very tight and I think that contributes to some pegs failing quicker than others.

• blvd619

Posted April 06, 2005 - 11:07 AM

I broke mine off my 650 while warming up on a bomb run last season. Almost went down hard. :naughty: I always checked the bolts, threads clean, lock tight, etc. I thought that would not happen, well it did. The people at precision concepts are very nice and the have all the goodies for the big red thumpers. :naughty: The fix they have for the peg problem is a good one, it will not break again. It is really worth the money, you could really go down bad if it broke at a decent pace. Just not worth going to the hospital over.
Tom, 6f

• rzm

Posted April 06, 2005 - 11:45 AM

With the new warranty laws wouldn't Honda have to prove that the frame failed because of the mod to refuse a claim ?

I'm surprised kritter hasn't jumped in yet. On the old posts about footpegs he is usually sharing his knowledge by the end of pg 1.

Anybody know the city where his shop is located? Might just have it installed if possible and close enough.

Any word on heated grips for the 600x? :naughty:

• ThunderChicken

Posted April 06, 2005 - 12:12 PM

i broke mine off in a desert race. no big deal. get the kritter fix or the pc fix.
whatever.

• Husky_Forever

Posted April 06, 2005 - 12:14 PM

Its not bad bolts, its bad design. :D The bike is great as a long distance hauler. Top end makes things rush by quickly. :naughty: I had the 4 year warranty on my PIG too. :naughty: Called Honda after mine broke off, leaving me to use an easy out in baja and then install a backup Grade 8 I kept for that reason. ( BTW, I had the SRC shim kit in mine too, didn't help). Rode 145 miles more on my sprained wrist from Valle T in Baja California ( turns out it was broken wrist the next day with X-rays and 10 more months off work :cry: ) back to San Diego since I had dual sported it down there.

Got back, notified my dealer who gave me Hondas number in Torrance. Called them, explained the problem and they said I was the 1st to ever complain of this to them since the bike came out in 2000 (This was 9/03) :D . I explained what JC said about drilling my frame and could I do this (or have my shop do it) without loosing my warranty? Honda said that would immediately void my frame warranty if I drilled anything. :D That the best I could do was get another frame for the fix. The new replacement brackets were not developed then.

My PIG was sold in 30 days after that. :D Steny

• ThunderChicken

Posted April 06, 2005 - 12:15 PM

$75 dollars for the Kritter fix, am I reading that right? Seems high.

kritter's fix is a deal compared to some of the other fixes out there.

same or better quality too.
i see the kritter and his fixes every weekend.

it's worthy.

• kyleproject

Posted April 06, 2005 - 12:22 PM

Does anyone know if the kritter fix will work with the XRs only bolt on skid plate?

http://www.xrsonly.c...essories_8.html

Looking at the pictures on his website it looks like the bracket he puts on the peg that goes over the frame rail might interfere with the bracket on the skid plate towards the rear of the bike?

Should I even be worried? My XR is in supermoto trim so it doesn't see much in the way of jumps (although I will be taking it to the track soon) and I only weigh 150 lbs.

• 1stepcloser

Posted April 06, 2005 - 12:23 PM

With the new warranty laws wouldn't Honda have to prove that the frame failed because of the mod to refuse a claim ?

Not likely, it is difficult to say the least to have a claim go forth relating to a vehicle labeled "for off road use only". If you modify the vehicle, the warranty is void, as the vehicle is no longer as it was when it left the factory.

I'm surprised kritter hasn't jumped in yet. Anybody know the city where his shop is located?

San Dimas. But he does mail order from his website Animal House Designs

Any word on heated grips for the 600x? :naughty:

There is a bit of a dilemma trying to get the heaters integrated with the electronic throttle. Its gonna be sweet, though.

• qadsan

Posted April 06, 2005 - 01:12 PM

...There is a bit of a dilemma trying to get the heaters integrated with the electronic throttle. Its gonna be sweet, though.

Is there any truth to the 600x also having an optional heated seat? I hope it comes with a gripper top section :naughty:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.