foot peg?

44 replies to this topic
  • BIG RED

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:43 PM

What is this i keep hearing about a foot peg falling off? my pig is brand new but i can't see any problems
Clint

• qadsan

Posted April 01, 2005 - 10:05 PM

The right foot peg actually breaks off. Make sure to keep your right peg bolts torqued to spec. Check them every so often to make sure they're not bent. If you're really worried about this, Precision Concepts and SRC along with other companies offer potential solutions. I think 'Kritter' here on TT offers the best fix which requires drilling your frame through so that larger bolts can be used along with his peg mount + bracket which provides even more support.

• Husky_Forever

Posted April 01, 2005 - 10:50 PM

Almost every PIG owner I know with the exception of two ( 9 guys altogether) has broken off his right peg in the middle of no where. :naughty: Even Team Honda JC broke his on a race a couple years ago (03), forcing him to ride to a Nevada pit 5 miles away on his break pedal. I used the SRC kit, tightened the peg bolt after each riding day and it still snapped off around 600 miles on my second 3 day trip to Baja in the first 4 months that I owned the bike.

Honda motor company said they had never heard of the problem before and that I was the first one in the states to ever report it to them. :naughty: . Cost me a broken wrist and 10 months off work.

Go for the Precision Concepts fix. It wont void your warranty if you have the 4 year one. Drilling your frame is what Team Honda does, but they replace frames several times a season. It will void your frame warranty if anything else goes wrong with your frame. Honda told me that. I sld mine. Can't ride a bike when I think the peg could break off again without notice. Steny

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 01, 2005 - 11:51 PM

I rode my first BRP for 5000 miles and never broke the foot peg. Granted I used to sit almost the whole time I rode. Now I stand about 60 to 70 percent of the time. My new BRP only has 1500 miles on it. Still no broken peg yet. Do these pegs break under heavy G-outs or just while your riding on a smooth trail? I have checked my bolts from time to time on my new BRP because of all the posts I'm reading about this. My first BRP I may have checked them one time in three and 1/2 years. I am ordering some more bolts from Honda and plan on changing them on regular schedule. Like every 6 months or at least take them out give em a good looking over. It seems to me that should solve the problem.

• big t

Posted April 02, 2005 - 12:30 AM

I rode my xr400 for along time with a similar style foot peg. Never had it break off but did bend twice casing jumps. I went ahead and got the fix from Kritter for the 650 just to be safe. www.animalhousedesigns.net

• qadsan

Posted April 02, 2005 - 09:03 AM

I've personally seen two right pegs break off, but it hasn't yet happened to me. In both instances where I seen the pegs break the rider was either coming from a good sized jump or a heavy g-out and nobody was injured...thankfully. One of my 650r's had super tight fitting bolts and nothing was ever bent. My other 650r had much looser fitting bolts and they've been bent in the past.

• jws

Posted April 02, 2005 - 07:41 PM

i am a mellow play rider and i broke my right footpeg over thanksgiving weekend last year :naughty: glad i didnt break my ankle - i have the kritter fix now :naughty:

Posted Image

Posted Image

kritters fix..................................

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Husky_Forever

Posted April 03, 2005 - 03:53 PM

Better safe than sorry is what I say. If you have over 3000 miles on your XR 650 with no breakage, thats great. But with only 600+ miles on mine (and all 7 of my buddies having them break as well) and not one dealer or Honda company saying this is a problem WORLD WIDE, I would fix it now. Even JC told me to my face at Mikes that his broke off during a desert race. They drilled his frame after that.

Or wait until it happens, in the middle of no were and deal with it then. They didn't have these good fixes in 03 when I broke mine. Then it was either go to Grade 8 bolts with the SRC shim kit and carry a spare grade 8 boly and easy out in your fanny pack or drill the frame and void your frame warranty. I ride up on the pegs mostly, so I sold my bike before it could happen again. Good luck! Steny

• TimBrp

Posted April 04, 2005 - 03:30 AM

I've beaten my pig for 1800 miles so far and no footpeg breakage either. Not to say it won't happen, I've been lucky. Kinda like some people with the clutch bushing. Luck of the draw I guess. I will say that I change my bolts and washers every year so far and the hex bolt is bent when I do it. That's gotta say something to it being a weak point. Get a fix now before it happens.

• Desmo

Posted April 04, 2005 - 09:09 AM

I bought my brp with very few miles on it.

I went on one ride, started reading the threads and went to look at my bolts. They were loose & bent.

I ordered the kritter fix. Perfect repair. I do not have very many miles on it yet, but I have zero fear that it will ever fail.

Just get the kritter fix, and put your fears to rest!

cheers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted April 04, 2005 - 09:11 AM

Got a kritter fix website? I know it's been posted before, I'm lazy though...LOL

• JackAttack

Posted April 04, 2005 - 09:19 AM

I've broken mine a few times.

The last time I drilled through the frame in the front hole and put in a hardened steel bolt and nut(10.9).

I actually broke the rear bolt again and the front hardened steel bolt I put in just bent a little but held. :D

I heard rumors that they fixed the problem on the new CRF600X. :naughty: Irondude would know for sure. :naughty:

• qadsan

Posted April 04, 2005 - 09:19 AM

Try this one :naughty:
http://www.animalhou...et/products.htm

• qadsan

Posted April 04, 2005 - 09:37 AM

I heard rumors that they fixed the problem on the new CRF600X. :naughty:

The CRF600X will have a completely different design for the footpeg just as you illuded to. I was surprised to hear how light this bike was at 246lb dry, which is already lighter than the CRF450X :naughty:. By the time it's released, it may be even lighter. I just hope the price isn't raised too much with the addition of engine management, fuel injection, etc. The Honda-Nav-Panel will surely be a hit with integrated speed, odo, trip, oil + coolant temperatures, on the fly 3D ignition map changes for trail / enduro / mx, traction control, optional plug in GPS, etc :D

• JackAttack

Posted April 04, 2005 - 09:45 AM

The CRF600X will have a completely different design for the footpeg just as you illuded to. I was surprised to hear how light this bike was at 246lb dry, which is already lighter than the CRF450X :D. By the time it's released, it may be even lighter. I just hope the price isn't raised too much with the addition of engine management, fuel injection, etc. The Honda-Nav-Panel will surely be a hit with integrated speed, odo, trip, oil + coolant temperatures, on the fly 3D ignition map changes for trail / enduro / mx, traction control, optional plug in GPS, etc :D

I would have thought that with the true dual exhaust system to the rear, and pneumatic valves (V-tec) the bike would have been heavier. :naughty:

At least it will be lighter than the Husky 510, and have twice the power. :naughty:

• qadsan

Posted April 04, 2005 - 09:58 AM

I would have thought that with the true dual exhaust system to the rear, and pneumatic valves (V-tec) the bike would have been heavier. :D

At least it will be lighter than the Husky 510, and have twice the power. :naughty:

Yeah, the lighter weight surprised me too! With all the magnesium being used to keep the weight down, I just hope the price doesn't go up too much, but you're right about it being lighter and having way more power than the Husky 510 :naughty:

I forgot to mention the factory integrated stabilizer, which is actually built as part of the steerting stem :D

• TimBrp

Posted April 04, 2005 - 10:14 AM

I've got a semi just reading about the 600X. When's it supposed to debut?

• NVFirefighter

Posted April 04, 2005 - 01:57 PM

I know a guy,that knows a guy's friend,who's a dealer that is taking deposits now....just send me the cash and I will let you know when they have a release date! :naughty:

• rzm

Posted April 05, 2005 - 12:46 PM

I've got 4 good rides on my new brp and the bolts are now holding tight. I check them after each ride and the last two checks were still right on. It was loose from the dealer (but had the honda washer installed) and stretched/loosened quite a bit after the first ride but not much after that.

I like the kritter fix but unless the bolt bent or started coming loose after each ride, I was planning to wait till after the warranty expired before drilling.

I've never heard of frame problems after kritter's fix. Are there any out there?
May just go for it now if there aren't. Breaking a peg doesn't sound like fun.

• GlocksRock

Posted April 05, 2005 - 12:55 PM

$75 dollars for the Kritter fix, am I reading that right? Seems high.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.