Strange wire on 2002 WR426F,sidestand warning?

4 replies to this topic
  • Stranglersfan

Posted April 01, 2005 - 03:17 PM

Hi peeps,
while putting back together my WR i seem to have a wire that doesn't seem to connect anywhere? let me try and explain..... I've re-wired my bike after respraying the frame and after refitting the wiring harness i found a seperately shielded pair of wires approx 16" long and it looks like it routes either down the front of the frame or across the top towards the air filter box? There are no fittings on the ends just bare wires and i think from memory, this wire was "tucked away" somewhere and maybe wasn't needed in the bikes current state (enduro) when i bought it? But seeing as i'm converting it into a supermoto and will soon need the bikes first MOT, i was wanting to get all the lights and indicators etc working? so out of curiousity, i'm i'd really like to know what this wire is for? everything else on the bike seems to be wired up and working as far as i can tell that is ( the use of a car battery charger for the live 12volts came in handy :D ) but i am at a loss as to what this wire was for? I was left with a couple of suggestions...
A warning switch for when the sidestand was left down?
or maybe an oil pressure warning switch?
but then i thought.... "hang on, this is an enduro bike, and they wouldn't have those on one of these?" or would they? afterall there's a neutral wire..... :naughty:

anyone any ideas? :naughty:

• Stranglersfan

Posted April 01, 2005 - 03:25 PM

I guess i should've gave you a better description of the colours of the wires, but i can't remember now as it was last week when i decided it was not needed and promptly shielded it and tucked it away out of sight? It just started bugging me again today... "what it was for?" and so i felt implored to ask......
if you need the colouring of the wires, then i'll find out tomorrow when i'm back in the garage.....
maybe somebody else has re-wired their WR and found the same wires?
Oh and by the way..... the wiring diagram in the manual is as much use as a chocolate fireguard...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stonie426

Posted April 02, 2005 - 02:38 AM

Stranglersfan,

I made a completely new custom wiring loom for my WR using original colour scheme, but didn't notice the extra wires your talking about on the original wiring loom. There are some extra wires, 5-6 I think, comming from the neutral switch which are NOT used, besides the blue/white one which IS used.

....need to know the exact colours of the wires you're talking about before I can give you any answers !

Stonie.

• Stranglersfan

Posted April 02, 2005 - 04:45 PM

Hi,
yeh i spotted the extra wires from the neutral switch 3 i think there was? there's a plug with 4 wires but only the sky blue one was left connected, the others had been snipped and wrapped in the loom. Also i have come across another connector which appears to be non requirement? it has navy blue/black/yellow wires, strange as they're very similare colours to the tail-light wiring, but my tail lights are wired up and working as there was a 4 wire connector plug matching that of the extension wire (on the rear fender) so i presumed these wires were not required or a std fitment on the loom and were needed on maybe a U.S./AUS bike? As for these "2" wires that i can't find a home for? i forgot to look at the colouring today as i was sidetracked onto something else, but tomorrow i will definetley get their colours then maybe you'd know what they're for?
I know it sounds a strange question, but do you know if the U.S/AUS bikes hada sensor switch fitted to warn of the sidestand being down before starting the engine? coz the more i think of it the more i am convinced that that is what these wires are for?
update you tomorrow, as for now, sleep beckons... :naughty:

• luke_n

Posted April 02, 2005 - 06:23 PM

I know it sounds a strange question, but do you know if the U.S/AUS bikes had a sensor switch fitted to warn of the sidestand being down before starting the engine? coz the more i think of it the more i am convinced that that is what these wires are for?

No they dont.
You say you have all the indicators and taillight hooked up but dont say anything about the number plate light.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.