clueless

2 replies to this topic
  • aussiexr

Posted April 01, 2005 - 01:23 PM

G`Day all
Can someone give me a hand with this one: : :naughty:
When starting the PIG with full choke if you miss the first time then go to get it back to TDC it backfires,then you start it with no choke and it will start ?
It`s been uncorked 172 main, 68s pilot, Rush aircleaner, Honda racing exhaust tip.
The valve clearance was done about 800 miles ago.
Also at speed at 50 mph the top end sounds very rattlely its been like it from new. It now has 9000 miles on it with no problems and regular oil and filter changes.
Thank in Advance
Steve B

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captb

Posted April 01, 2005 - 01:46 PM

I can only tell you my starting procedure, (cold) choke on full hold kill switch down and pull decompressor lever 1/4 throttle, kick it over 2 times then get it over TDC release kill switch and 1 kick and mine allways starts, mine starts first kick hot everytime, if it don't try adjusting idle speed and idle mix screew, mine likes it on the rich side and idle a little high. Mine makes more noise than my XR600Rs probably short piston skirt (slap) and balancer, I put 1 inch thick foam under skid plate, much quieter.

• Troy_Bell

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:36 PM

My procedure is slightly different. The choke has three positions: CLOSED, 1/2 OPEN, OPEN. This works best for me when the bike is cold. I put the choke to OPEN, kill switch off, decompression lever pulled in, full throttle and then I kick it several times. Next, I put the choke to 1/2 OPEN, kill switch on, release decompression lever, no throttle and then one kick from TDC. Once it starts, I CLOSE the choke. This works everytime on the first kick. This is basically the same procedure you would do after you dump the bike and flood it.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.