A Day with Dale (Trick Dual Sport)

19 replies to this topic
  • un450azul

Posted April 01, 2005 - 11:07 AM

I met with Dale Mezirow of Trick Dual Sport yesterday to install a couple of his Dual Sports Kits on my ’03 WR450F and CRF230. Well it didn’t start off very well for me since I’d been up half the night with an ear and throat infection (damn Santa Ana winds) and I had to pop some cold medicine before I took off (bbzzzzz). I got up to Dales house in beautiful Acton, CA around 10:00 and figured we could throw a couple kits on before I headed up to Palmdale for a meeting. Well about 5.5 hours later I’d loaded the bikes back up and was head back to Orange County sans any meeting.

Mind you this wasn’t because we were particularly slow, although I couldn’t figure out which end of the wrench to grab in the morning (bbzzzz), it was that Dale was such a fun guy to be around that we talked and worked and talked on the phone and worked some more and just had a good time. We also had a couple pleasant interruptions during the day. The first being a delivery man (semi) with a KTM 450 in the back. Dale had made arrangements for the bike to be sent from Texas to do a little prep on it before he delivered it to his buddy KeithCo. Dale and I had planned on man-handling it off the truck until the driver explained that the shipment was 750 lbs. We wondered how many KTM’s had been sent. Well it was just one but it had been crated up real nice by the previous owner. We busted up the crate, dropped the bike off the back and just to make sure Keith wasn’t getting a ‘pig in the poke’ we raced it up and down the road a few times (heee). Next interruption was just as pleasant when Dale’s wife showed up and we decided to go have a bite at the local Mexican eatery. Dale and Moya regaled with stories of a few previous rides, the kind of stuff I’m really looking forward too.

Back to the bikes… I’ve been planning on D/Sing the WR for awhile and have asked a few questions, done a few searches and the majority has said ‘quite screwing around just go see Dale at Trick’. Well now I see why, it’s not because he’s such a nice guy but because he knows what the hell he’s doing and he’s thinking of ways to make it better. Dale and I travel in similar circles so when I learned of his background I knew he wasn’t a tinkerer but someone that truly understands the concept of designing and developing a superior product. He walked me through the whys and wherefores of his kit as we (mostly him) did the install and I was impressed with the detail and function of something we assume is very simple. Now D/Sing a bike isn’t rocket science but sometimes it takes a rocket scientist to do it right.

I took a bunch of pictures and hope to do a write up in the near future.

BTW.. thanks for letting me ride your bike Keith.

• drewpeacock

Posted April 01, 2005 - 11:51 AM

When my package came I was not very impressed until a friend (helicopter mechanic) started explaining how well built the unit is, which only confermed what Indy and a few others have been saying all along! It's nice not having to load up my bike to go play for an hour after work but you do get some weird looks when you ride through town on a barely legal bike! :naughty:

• scott_h

Posted April 01, 2005 - 10:12 PM

Dale is a certified good dude and his kits are by far the best I've used.

I'll have to stop by Dale's tomorrow and hot lap Keithco's bike around the neighborhood too! - ...just need to make sure everything is in order for you buddy!

Scott

• GasAHolic

Posted April 02, 2005 - 11:49 AM

I took a bunch of pictures and hope to do a write up in the near future.

I would look forward to reading this, as I purchased a kit a couple of months ago and haven't put it on yet.... The more help the better, IMO! :naughty:

• new04450

Posted April 02, 2005 - 11:54 AM

I plan on calling dale this month and ordering a kit for my 04 WR450. Is there enough juice from the bike to keep your 03 running OK? PLEASE post some pics or a link to a couple of them soon. I will need all of the help I can get- Also how hard was it to install on the 450?

• drewpeacock

Posted April 02, 2005 - 04:52 PM

I plan on calling dale this month and ordering a kit for my 04 WR450. Is there enough juice from the bike to keep your 03 running OK? PLEASE post some pics or a link to a couple of them soon. I will need all of the help I can get- Also how hard was it to install on the 450?

There is plenty of juice to run the lights from http://trickdualsport.com/
It was fairly easy to install the kit. You might want to order the trail tech speedo the same time you order your lights because the stock odometer will get in the way or you can move the box (on the kit) over like I did. Any questions once you get it Dale will be more than happy to answer them. (If I can insall it anybody can)

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 02, 2005 - 07:44 PM

Dale is awesome! :naughty: I wish more people would try his kits instead of doing poor quality home jobs. :naughty:

• new04450

Posted April 03, 2005 - 10:47 AM

How much does that add to the total price? It does sound like something I would use- I have seen the Baja Kits up close, and I am not too impressed. I like the tick set up because the turn signals are integrated intot he rear fender. I love my single track, and since this is the 1st off road bike I have ever owned.... It has been down a couple of times. Hey if you ain't crashing... You ain't trying. So keeping those signals in CLOSE hasto be better.

• drewpeacock

Posted April 03, 2005 - 03:02 PM

[quote name='new04450']How much does that add to the total price? It does sound like something I would use-
Not sure if you are talking about the speedo but if you are you will probably need to order it from the TT Store or your local bike shop. I don't know if you can the speedo from Dale.

• un450azul

Posted April 04, 2005 - 11:44 AM

The Trick Dual Sport Kit is very easy to install and comes with instructions for the type of bike the kit is intended for. Any write-up I would do is just a compliment to the kit not a replacement for the instructions that come with it. Besides Dale has the phone to his ear half the time he’s working anyway, got a questions just give him a call. :naughty:

Here are some simple hints on Dale’s technique for installing the kit:

Take the time to route the wires correctly (there are only 2 sets), don’t take short cuts that may cause problems in the future. Don’t be afraid to use lots of zip-tys to hold the harness in place.

Invest in shrink tube and a heat gun. Sheath the individual connection then sheath the all the wires together.

Simple stuff if you already do electrical work but for those don’t, these simple tips may keep you from chasing a loose wire or a rub-thru short in the future.

More on Dale: Dale lives an idyllic life in that his average workday is about the same as my daily commute, he only walks 60 ft to his office and he can ride out of his front yard and spend the day on the local trails. Course all his bikes are orange so he has to spend some of the day working on them. :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • un450azul

Posted April 04, 2005 - 11:56 AM

How much does that add to the total price? It does sound like something I would use- I have seen the Baja Kits up close, and I am not too impressed. I like the tick set up because the turn signals are integrated intot he rear fender. I love my single track, and since this is the 1st off road bike I have ever owned.... It has been down a couple of times. Hey if you ain't crashing... You ain't trying. So keeping those signals in CLOSE hasto be better.

Call Dale and he'll give you a quote (around $400) for a WR. The WR kit does not (normally) include the rear light/blinker assembly because you already have a dual filament tail light. For turn signals I just bought a set the micro signals (tear drops style) and stuck em to the side of my rear fender. Worked out great because they don’t get in the way and they have a little protection from the number plates.

• kiethco

Posted April 04, 2005 - 08:17 PM

Not so fast, I dont want any more of you yahoos going up to Dales and hot lapping my KTM. Especially you Scott, I've heard about you and your recon runs. Now if someone was to offer to take me to the Mexican restaurant for chips, and a chicken burrito............ maybe we can work something out.
And before you think Dale's got it so good with his idyllic lifestyle, you might wanna catch Moya after an afternoon of traffic coming up the hill. We know who wears the Tech 8's in that family!
Thanks guys for helping take delivery of my bike. I too have found any excuse to go to Dales and hang out. I usually use the one of helping a friend put on a kit with Dale. My son likes to ride his riding lawnmower and cut the grass. If anyone really wants to get involved with So Cal dualsporting, we have a place for you. Come to the Board meeting for District 37 Dualsport. The next one is the 2nd Tuesday in May in Glendale. Dale's come to the past couple and he's a better man for it. :naughty:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 05, 2005 - 09:06 AM

Dale's Okay..

• hodaphile

Posted April 05, 2005 - 02:10 PM

Dale's Okay..

Hey Dan,

Were you guys riding double that day? I heard he has grabby hands...

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 06, 2005 - 06:04 AM

Hey Dan,

Were you guys riding double that day? I heard he has grabby hands...

Yes we were.... Grabby hands? Of course...Why else would I have him along? :naughty:

• beakr

Posted April 06, 2005 - 07:47 PM

UN450AZUL
Can you post a photo of your rear turn-signal setup? Where did you buy your micro-signals--from Trick Dual Sport?

• un450azul

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:23 PM

Ok out to the garage to take some pics... surprised the cat who uses my body to gain traction... blood on camera... take pics

http://i2.photobucke...ul/TDS008sm.jpg
http://i2.photobucke...ul/TDS009sm.jpg
http://i2.photobucke...ul/TDS010sm.jpg

• un450azul

Posted April 06, 2005 - 09:37 PM

few more pics

WR straight ahead

http://i2.photobucke...zul/TDS02sm.jpg

Dale holding a competitors harness (damn thats a bunch of wires)

http://i2.photobucke...zul/TDS03sm.jpg

and of course the infamous 'keithco 450' after being rid on all day

http://i2.photobucke...zul/TDS01sm.jpg

:naughty:

• kiethco

Posted April 07, 2005 - 03:27 AM

What the hell is it doing up on the rack? Is he taking parts off of it? I've seen that look in his eye before. As I recall it was just after he took his banjo out of his case................then things get a little fuzzy.

• hodaphile

Posted April 07, 2005 - 07:12 AM

What the hell is it doing up on the rack? Is he taking parts off of it? I've seen that look in his eye before. As I recall it was just after he took his banjo out of his case................then things get a little fuzzy.

Was that the morning you woke up bent over the rack???

And what is that all over the garage floor??? The gray stuff... Oh, it looks like concrete! Dale, have a concrete floor in that garage? I thought it was dirt covered with plastic bags and labels from bike parts! :naughty:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.