Valve and stroke question

6 replies to this topic
  • ThrakenH04

Posted April 01, 2005 - 10:26 AM

Ok well, I can re-shim the valves to get correct clearences but I think I put it back together on the wronge stroke. Here's the symtomes(spelling?), It takes about 3-5 kicks when its cold to get it started and even more if I had ran the gas out of the carb on a previous run. The problem is, when the engine is fully warmed up it likes to stall, and when I try to start it, I can sometimes kick 2-3 strokes before getting to the TDC compression stroke. What I need help with is, how many strokes do I turn back or foward to get things back on track? Sorry if it doesnt make any sense. I need to know soon too, I have practice on saturday and sunday.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2005 - 03:23 PM

There is no wrong stroke. The cams are what makes the difference between TDC compression, and TDC exhaust/intake. Since the ignition triggers on the crank, and produces a spark on every revolution, it simply doesn't matter. Any TDC becomes the right stroke when you time the cams right.

Go back and check your valve clearances and your cam timing. If your exhaust cam is retarded, the decomp mechanism will let off almost all of the compression stroke. A tight intake will cause an erratic idle in addition to lack of cranking compression.

Be sure your fuel mix is set right at idle, too.

BTW, if your spelling worries you, the spell checker below the post window works.

• ThrakenH04

Posted April 01, 2005 - 03:55 PM

There is no wrong stroke. The cams are what makes the difference between TDC compression, and TDC exhaust/intake. Since the ignition triggers on the crank, and produces a spark on every revolution, it simply doesn't matter. Any TDC becomes the right stroke when you time the cams right.

Go back and check your valve clearances and your cam timing. If your exhaust cam is retarded, the decomp mechanism will let off almost all of the compression stroke. A tight intake will cause an erratic idle in addition to lack of cranking compression.

Be sure your fuel mix is set right at idle, too.

BTW, if your spelling worries you, the spell checker below the post window works.

The problem is, lining the dot and the other dot. The thumperFAQ shows one thing, then my manual shows another. I kinda wish There was someone I knew with a 03-05 YZ450 that could show me a picture of where the correct timing marks should be on the cams. Sometimes I wish I had a SOHC.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThrakenH04

Posted April 01, 2005 - 08:27 PM

bump.

• yz_for_me

Posted April 01, 2005 - 08:53 PM

Here's a link to a pic showing the cam timing marks at TDC (compression stroke).

Cam timing marks pic

This pic is a 250F but the 450 looks the same. Notice the timing marks on the outside of the cams (9 o'clock on the exhuast cam and 3 o'clock on the intake cam) are lined up with the top surface of the head casting.

Here's some other pics showing the position of the cam lobes at TDC (compression stroke). This pic is also a 250F but once again, the 450 will look the same.

Cam Lobes Pic1

Cam Lobes Pic2

Cam Lobes Pic3

Hope this helps.

• Slowmotion426

Posted April 02, 2005 - 12:38 AM

It helped me. Thanks for the pics. :naughty:

• ThrakenH04

Posted April 02, 2005 - 07:00 AM

Thank you, it helps, now I can compare mine to it and see how far off I am.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.