Base suspension settings xr650r/Barnums

2 replies to this topic
  • Desmo

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:23 AM

I recently sent my my front & rear suspension to Barnums for a total setup for my wt/style/terrain.

It is all installed, the sag is set at 98 or so and I plan to take it out on a ride this weekend.

At least an hour or so will be just dialing in the compression/rebound settings.

Do you guys have any base settings for compression/dampning front/rear? I'm 195lbs.

Most terrain is foothill trails which can be rocky or tree rutted and I'm a "C" rider. C for crappy and conservative.

If printed a few things off the net as to how to adjust the settings, but anything else or other links would be appreciated!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted April 01, 2005 - 11:02 AM

Try it as is and see how she behaves. Our Barnum’s suspended bikes have been very close to being right on the money for our needs. If you have to make adjustments, you'll probably only be just a few clicks away, but try it as is. I thought I'd be having to give up riding for the rest of this year due to medical reasons and I still may have to, but I got to squeak in some good riding this last week for the first time in a while and again really appreciated the suspension work Barnum’s did, especially in the whoops, rocks & ruts.

With my youngest son and his friends, I hit a ~100 yard section of whoops, a few of which were larger and sharper than others. Johnny Campbell and Team Honda were practicing in this same area and we got to stop and talk with them for a short bit which was kind of kool. My speed through this section with my youngest son and his friends was fairly slow and I bottomed twice, although this section felt OK otherwise aside from bottoming out. The arches of my feet were not happy and the clunk/clang noise sure didn't sound pretty when I bottomed, but my springs are now too light for my current weight. The next day I rode this exact same section a couple different times with my oldest son, brother-in-law and some friends, but my speed was way up and it felt 'oh-so-good' at speed. The bike felt nice and firmly cushioned (progressively plush / not harsh), well behaved and more fun to ride as the speeds picked up. It's amazing what a little speed will do and that's when I want my suspension at its best. Rob's suspension work allows me to cover way more terrain without being nearly as worked or fatigued while improving my control. Barnum’s has turned our bikes into high performance desert Cadillac’s :naughty:

• Desmo

Posted April 01, 2005 - 12:21 PM

Thanks Quadsan

I'll try it as is and then play with it awhile

Good luck with your medical issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.