Lowedog AIS kit installation

18 replies to this topic
  • WaGuy78

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:04 AM

Hey everyone!

I just got my Lowedog AIS removal kit in the mail. I haven't dove into it yet, but based on the instructions it looks a little complicated. I am not the best wrench out there (though I am getting better) and I am a little parinoid about harming my bike, especially when putting the plugs in.

Anyone have any tricks, do's/don'ts that might help me out?

Thanks everyone!

• WGP

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:22 AM

Put mine in the other day, drain and remove right radiator(good to do and know how anyway and very easy) getting the old plugs out was a little tough at first but do slide out, use big screwdriver for front plug and small vice grips for rear. When putting plugs in use a large tube shaped punch that fits the plugs well so they drive straight. The front you can only hit at an angle (with rad removed) so I bashed the heck out of it and got it to go in with some slight deformation, use a good amount(but not too much RTV high temp sealant on that front plug so if it doesn't go in 100% its still sealed.
Take your time, as with all engine work, it took me 2 hours but I take a break when something isn't going good, come back work some more, now its removed and the bike is a little lighter and doesn't pop so much. :naughty:
Good Luck!

• WaGuy78

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:28 AM

SWEET!

Thanks for the tips dude. I think I am going to do it this weekend (maybe, that would be seriously f'n up my ride time though) :naughty:

• WaGuy78

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:30 AM

Oh, and one more thing... the RTV high temp sealant, is RVT a brand or a type? And where can I get it at...Napa or something?

Sorry, told you I was new to this. :naughty:

• Texas4play

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:36 AM

Oh, and one more thing... the RTV high temp sealant, is RVT a brand or a type? And where can I get it at...Napa or something?

Sorry, told you I was new to this. :naughty:

Yes, you'll find it at the parts house. The kit can be installed in under an hour. The key thing to do is follow his suggestions in the instructions. The two most important are:

1. Remove right side radiator
2. Move carb out of the way

I used a punch on the front engine plug with no problems. The rear plug that goes in the intake boot can be tricky (if carb is in the way).

• BubZ

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:39 AM

I put mine in about a week ago, but have been hesitant to say so because I could not get the large plug in the front to go in very far. It really worried me and still does, but I have ridden the bike and it does not pop on decel at all.

I really spent a lot of time trying to get that front plug in and it just would not go but about 1/4 of the way. The small one on the intake side and the one on the air boot seated fine. So... I tried to see if I could back it out. Oh heck no it wasn't budging!! I really don't think it will blow out because of that. Like I said it seems pretty darned stuck and the bike has absolutely no pop.

I used RTV on all plugs as well so that is good advice. I have heard that many people experienced problems with the air boot plug. I removed the relay tray from right above it and just pushed straight in, I don't know how you could ever get to it otherwise. For me that way the easiest.

Anyone else not get the front plug fully seated? I figure I'll take the cylinder off this winter after the riding season where I can get a straight hit on it and drive it home then. If it doesn't want to go then, I'll thread the hole and cut off a bolt and screw it in!

Bud

• clark4131

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:40 AM

Get the Permatex Ultra Black RTV Silicone Gasket Maker and you'll have no worries. Any Kragen, Pep Boys or similar place will have it. It's the industry standard so unless you live in BFE you can't miss it...SC

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:48 AM

I never drained the coolant when I did mine, I simply pulled the radiators apart where the connecting hose connects both radiators at the top of the bike and stuck a sharpie in the hose side to prevent coolant leakage (I lost maybe a 1/2 cup of coolant from the right side radiator). With the right side radiator pulled away from the bike it allows you to tap in the front plug with acceptable clearance.

If there were to be a challenge to the process it would be the airbox plug. I wrapped the tip of my biggest tire iron I have with duct tape (sticky side out). I placed the head of the plastic airbox plug on the sticky tipped tire iron and fed it right under the fusebox, the RTV sealant while still wet makes a great lube for the plug to ease into the hole. I shoved the plug into the hole with some vigor and it popped right in no problem.. A one to two beer job.

:naughty:

Dan

• WaGuy78

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:51 AM

Nice! Thanks for all the tips guys.

So do these plugs somewhat snap into place, or could you theoretically push em in to far?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Texas4play

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:53 AM

Clark,

The front plug should definitely be flush and not sticking out. You may have gotten the angle slightly off going in cuz it IS tight. I had to tap around the top edges while going in then gave it one final solid hammerin'

Clark is right about that fuse box too, pull that thing out of the way or there'll be trouble. It's been so long since I did mine I forgot.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:58 AM

Clark,

Clark is right about that fuse box too, pull that thing out of the way or there'll be trouble. It's been so long since I did mine I forgot.

The fuse box isn't even a concern if you do it my way, not in the way at all.

• MortgageRider

Posted April 01, 2005 - 10:07 AM

Dan, I used the same kind of method using a large flathead screwdriver to leverage the airbox plug in. The other you do need to use a punch, they will not just push in.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 01, 2005 - 10:16 AM

Dan, I used the same kind of method using a large flathead screwdriver to leverage the airbox plug in. The other you do need to use a punch, they will not just push in.

I was only giving a tip for the airbox plug, not the other two... I used a T-handle for a punch, using the long shaft of it as a handle for the to aluminum plugs.

• MortgageRider

Posted April 01, 2005 - 10:23 AM

Nice! Thanks for all the tips guys.

So do these plugs somewhat snap into place, or could you theoretically push em in to far?

Dan, that was for WaGuy i'm sorry.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 01, 2005 - 10:33 AM

Yep, I knew what you meant TT "Member"... :naughty:

• The_Blue_One

Posted April 01, 2005 - 12:52 PM

For the airbox plug I moved the fuse box out of the way and heated the airboot with my wife's hair dryer. It went in real easy and took about 5 minutes. :naughty:

• farkawi

Posted April 02, 2005 - 06:35 AM

The aluminum plugs go in a little easier if you pop them in the freezer overnight. The plastic plug for the airbox is a breeze if you remove the seat and airbox cover; warm up the intake boot carefully with a blow dryer, then support the inside with a finger and the plug slips right in.

• jayled

Posted April 02, 2005 - 12:25 PM

For some reason I thought this kit included some air jets or whatever.
I feel ripped off looking at plugs I could have made on my lathe to the exact fit size.

Oh well...

• Lowedog

Posted April 02, 2005 - 01:23 PM

Farkawi, good suggestion on the freezer :naughty: I'll see if we can get the instruction sheet updated to include that tip. I didn't realize people were having so much trouble with the exhaust plug.

The most important thing is getting the plugs started straight. If you get it started a little crooked it will give you some trouble.

I found the easiest way to get the plastic plug in the intake boot is to move the fuse holder out of the way so you can get to from the top. If you take the air filter out you can get you fingers inside the boot to support it some from underneath.

I may need to make the exhaust plug a little smaller so it's not such a press fit. But I don't want it to fall out eather.

Don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns. Even prior to purchasing just drop me a PM and I will fill you in on what exactly the kit does.

-Lowedog

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.