'02 YZ426 durability question...

14 replies to this topic
  • kizzle426

Posted March 31, 2005 - 09:13 PM

Yeah...I used to own a 2-stroke('97 cr 125), and I had to change the top end so many times I lost count. I just got my 426 a couple of months back and I love it like a man should never love a machine. Anyway, I was just wondering how the top end is reliability wise compared to a two stroke. I just wonder if it will be the same drill. And if you have any regular maintenance tips it won't hurt. Thanks a bunch in advance for your replies.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 31, 2005 - 09:34 PM

Check the valves every once in a while, and don't replace the piston hardly ever. These bikes are basically bulletproof when taken care of properly. I don't have any idea how long a piston will last, but I do know it's a hell of a lot longer than a 125 pingaling. Get a magnetic drain plug, keep the carb, filters (air and oil) and oil clean and she'll never disappoint you.

• kizzle426

Posted March 31, 2005 - 09:47 PM

Thanks man....me and my Dad had been wondering about that. The only problem I've had yet is the when it hits neutral sometimes when it gets hot going up to second or going down from second to first. Other than that I love this bike so SO much. I will never look at a 2-stroke with the same respect I once had again. 4-strokes 4-ever!

• Slowmotion426

Posted March 31, 2005 - 11:16 PM

I bought my '01 Yz426f back in '00. I haven't even looked at my top end or valves yet. I know, pretty dumb. But i'm sooo lazy. I change the oil every two rides and the oil filter every 5 rides. Cranks within 2 kicks every time. Mine used to miss going to 2nd gear sometimes when it was new to me, so maybe you just have to get use to it.

• dforbes67

Posted April 01, 2005 - 08:40 AM

i own a 01 426 and I did the 450 cam mod and have checked on vaves perodicly but no wear no problems runs great.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:27 AM

The cylinder and piston will last 5-10 times longer in a good four-stroke. I just did the valves in my 250F and put it back together with the original piston. Valves are the main area that will eventually need replacement. Once they get to the point where the clearances tighten up in less than 15 hours, it's time for new ones.

One thing you should do is replace the cam chain and check the tensioner every 1 to 2 seasons, just as cheap insurance against a worn off crank sprocket or a major problem caused by skipping time. It isn't an extremely common occurrence, it's just one of the few things that does go wrong sometimes, and it's usually easily and cheaply preventable.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:34 AM

So, you guys aren't sad you didn't get a CRF so that you can worry about you valves exploding out of the head? :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2005 - 03:25 PM

So, you guys aren't sad you didn't get a CRF so that you can worry about you valves exploding out of the head? :naughty:

No, I'm sad that Honda couldn't have learned more from their peers. My son wants a CRF450, but I don't want to maintain one.

• kizzle426

Posted April 01, 2005 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I am going to do the 450 cam mod. Do you have to do the intake and exhaust cam? Also, I have to share this. I just got back from tearin it up at the track....I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!! I've never felt more comfortable
on a bike before. The thrust is very linnear and predictable. I'm on stock suspension, I weigh about 220lbs, and the sag is perfect, the rebound is perfect along with the compression all around. All this on FACTORY suspension. I'm going to be buying variations of this bike for the rest of my life. Long live the YZF!!!! :naughty:

• elburro

Posted April 01, 2005 - 08:35 PM

Kizzle426, what track do you go to? And I have not done the mod but i think you just need a stock '03 450 exhaust cam.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:31 PM

Nope, you only need the exhaust cam and a TT decomp plug. I bought an extra plug anticipating a new 450 this year, and since that isn't going to happen I'd be happy to sell it to you if you want it. You'll also need to pick up the lip seal for a 426 that goes into the decomp shaft hole (I think TT sells them in the store now).

• cowboyona426

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:32 PM

Oh yeah, and about the neutral thing- mine started doing that recently too and I think the problem is that the shifter is loose on the shaft, so you might check that bolt.

• kizzle426

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:56 PM

I am a member of a local club in waco, texas called the Waco Eagles. They have a track about 20 minutes away from my house that has been around since 1932. It's been revamped obviously.It's a nice track. The first real track I've ever had a chance to ride on. I was raised on trails.

• elburro

Posted April 02, 2005 - 05:07 AM

Yeah I have heard of them, isn't there a website for the club? I was trying to find a place to ride the other day around waco and i could not find a track that was open to the public. Stephenville was the closest. Wanted to hit whitney but i guess they are only open two weeks a year, whuts up with that?

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 02, 2005 - 12:49 PM

Your bike is as reliable as how you maintain it

Doing the maintenance will prolong the life of any bike. The Yamaha 426 is pretty much a bullit proof bike

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.