cam and starter

5 replies to this topic
  • woody12

Posted March 31, 2005 - 01:26 PM

if i advance my exhaust cam timing to yz timing and loose the auto decomp will i have problems with the electric start?

• ncmountainman

Posted March 31, 2005 - 03:01 PM

i'd say so, just get the yz cam :naughty: i read somewhere you can press the cam sprocket apart and put it back to yz spec? i wouldn't trust it but its probly cheaper.

• Jim_bo

Posted March 31, 2005 - 03:03 PM

Why in the heck would you ever want to loose auto-decompression??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted March 31, 2005 - 03:05 PM

i would only venture a guess that he's tryin'to get the cheapest power he can :naughty:

• farkawi

Posted March 31, 2005 - 03:28 PM

Pressing the sprocket off and re-timing is only cheaper if you do it yourself. Once in place; I'd TIG weld that puppy in place. They one guy that I know that does it says he's never seen one come apart.

• PBDBLUE

Posted March 31, 2005 - 04:14 PM

Moving the cam gear does not fix the autocompression release problem. I have a YZ cam in my 450 and compared them when I made the switch. The WR and the YZ have different length pins to compensate for the change in cam timing. I know some guys claim that the WR cam works with it advanced but as finicky as the estart can be on these bikes I would go with the YZ cam.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.