Boost XR650L battery

13 replies to this topic
  • Xr650LMartin

Posted March 31, 2005 - 12:47 PM

Hi!! My 650L battery is too low to start the bike after winter storage. Is it better to take it off and charge or can I boost it with my car's battery? Will the alternator be able to charge it full?

thanks, Martin

• jlpskydive

Posted March 31, 2005 - 03:26 PM

Bump start it and ride it

• LotsOfBikes

Posted March 31, 2005 - 10:01 PM

I finally replaced the battery in my 1995 XR650L in 2004.. Considering that the bike was built in 1994, the battery was at least 10 years old. I now use the battery as a back-up for one of my camera's.

I'd charge the battery first and see if it holds. The alternator in the 650L is about 190 watts, and should charge the battery quickly. I never had the battery die in my 650L...

• Shakeyhands

Posted April 14, 2005 - 09:15 AM

Hi!! My 650L battery is too low to start the bike after winter storage. Is it better to take it off and charge or can I boost it with my car's battery? Will the alternator be able to charge it full?

thanks, Martin

I've used a 12V charger to start mine, BUT you probably might want to think about replacing it. I wouldn;t use a car battery to do it.

oh... and take your battery off and inside next year! :naughty:

• Xr650LMartin

Posted April 14, 2005 - 10:43 AM

I finally boosted it with my car, it started right up and the battery now works fine!!

• Shakeyhands

Posted April 14, 2005 - 11:22 AM

I finally boosted it with my car, it started right up and the battery now works fine!!

You crazy Quebecois!!! I can't believe you didn't fry the bike! :naughty: :D :naughty:

• allan68

Posted April 14, 2005 - 03:59 PM

What makes you think you would fry the battery?

Al

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Eric Henion

Posted April 14, 2005 - 04:17 PM

A Battery from a car has many times the amperage more then a bikes battery therefore bigger means fried bike components. I hope that you were lucky and it did not hurt your bike.

• Max Power

Posted April 14, 2005 - 04:38 PM

Nice work. Just don't try to start your car with your bike battery. :naughty:

• Max Power

Posted April 14, 2005 - 04:39 PM

therefore bigger means fried bike components.

Really?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 14, 2005 - 05:49 PM

There is no problem starting anything with a 12V battery with a car battery. The only problem would be starting something with a battery of more voltage than it should be.

Dave (electrical engineer)

• Max Power

Posted April 14, 2005 - 06:08 PM

There is no problem starting anything with a 12V battery with a car battery. The only problem would be starting something with a battery of more voltage than it should be.

:naughty:

• Xr650LMartin

Posted April 15, 2005 - 02:22 AM

I'm electrician too! Dave is right! The car battery can deliver more amps but will only deliver what is needed by the starter! amps=volts/resistance! Volts and resistance are the same so amps will be the same!

• Shakeyhands

Posted April 15, 2005 - 06:52 AM

I'm electrician too! Dave is right! The car battery can deliver more amps but will only deliver what is needed by the starter! amps=volts/resistance! Volts and resistance are the same so amps will be the same!

Well I'm not an Electrician or an Engineer (although I do play one on TV!) but I would have thought that it would fry CDI or sumpin' I don't know nuthin bout no resterance!! :naughty:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.