Acrebis Rally Pro Handgurds

14 replies to this topic
  • hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted March 31, 2005 - 10:58 AM

Hey guys, i just p/u a pair of the rally pro handguards for my 05 450, but in mounting them i ran into a problem with the brake line comming off the resevoir, i cant get it to mount correctly, i have it installed but its not how its supposed to be. anybody have n-e tips or tricks to get these bad boys to work? :naughty: :naughty: :D

also, what is the best position for the handgurds to sit? even, a lil low, or a lil high, i have them pretty center with my bars right now.
thanks

• sleeman

Posted March 31, 2005 - 10:59 AM

Cut the plastic

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted March 31, 2005 - 11:20 AM

i grinded down the plastic, but its hitting on the metal bar that runs across the entire guard.

• Dan_from_HB

Posted March 31, 2005 - 02:09 PM

Hey guys, i just p/u a pair of the rally pro handguards for my 05 450, but in mounting them i ran into a problem with the brake line comming off the resevoir, i cant get it to mount correctly, i have it installed but its not how its supposed to be. anybody have n-e tips or tricks to get these bad boys to work? :naughty: :D :naughty:

also, what is the best position for the handgurds to sit? even, a lil low, or a lil high, i have them pretty center with my bars right now.
thanks

I had to loosen the banjo bolt securing the brake line to the master cyl. There are stops, but it will move a little. I'd only back it off enough to coax the metal tube to move out of the way. Too loose, and you run a risk of introducing air into the brake line. Tighten it right back up.
Hope that's the solution to the problem you're running into.

• banffboy

Posted March 31, 2005 - 02:57 PM

Hate to tell you this, but those guards are a piece of sh*t. They bend like butter when dropped, and as you can see the mounting is a joke. Sounds like you can't take them back as you have already ground them down. Sorry to be the bearer of band news, but the acerbis guards really do suck :naughty:

• farkawi

Posted March 31, 2005 - 03:36 PM

What I did the first time mounting handguards was lay the bike down on both sides and position the guard so that the lever was covered. They look a little weird because they sit at slightly different angles 'cuz I set the levers at different angles. But hey, this is dirt and dirt ain't supposed to be pretty.

• Tubo

Posted March 31, 2005 - 04:01 PM

Hey guys, i just p/u a pair of the rally pro handguards for my 05 450, but in mounting them i ran into a problem with the brake line comming off the resevoir, i cant get it to mount correctly, i have it installed but its not how its supposed to be. anybody have n-e tips or tricks to get these bad boys to work? :naughty: :naughty: :D

thanks

I'm not sure if it makes much sense since the ground is never really level but I put mine on all of my bikes level with flat ground. Up or down a little I get the feeling they could rotate when impacting a tree. I've hit trees hard enough to completely launch me and the bike off of the oposite side of the trail and I've wrapped myself around trees many times and I've never had one rotate so it's working.

........ and as for the guys comment that they are junk, I've never bent one either. They are not quite as beefy as Moose and a few others, but I like the look and they have held up to everything I've thrown at them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sleeman

Posted March 31, 2005 - 04:05 PM

Their not that bad except for the fact that you cant replace the plastics.

• Dan_from_HB

Posted March 31, 2005 - 09:01 PM

Hate to tell you this, but those guards are a piece of sh*t. They bend like butter when dropped, and as you can see the mounting is a joke. Sounds like you can't take them back as you have already ground them down. Sorry to be the bearer of band news, but the acerbis guards really do suck :naughty:

What are you doing to those things?
I've had good luck with mine. Crashed a number of times (typically, my crashes don't involve cartwheels or backflips), and have only scuffed up the plastic.
They are really only there to protect the hands and levers from tree branches. Not really there to survive a nuclear holocaust.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 31, 2005 - 09:40 PM

Hate to tell you this, but those guards are a piece of sh*t. They bend like butter when dropped, and as you can see the mounting is a joke.

I have thrashed bars with those on and still didnt bend them. :naughty: You must have the tuffest butter in the WORLD. :naughty: I would agree the mounting is tuff, but I dont know how they could do it any better and keep all the strengh. My Acerbis Flag handgaurds are very flimsy and their mounts totally blow. Maybe you were confused about the Ralley Pros. I know this summer when riding the mountains my ralley pros will be back on. :D

• banffboy

Posted March 31, 2005 - 10:01 PM

I think if you do a search you'll find a few people who echo my sentiment. The Rally pro's that I had bent and twisted on some pretty easy drops. I found the mounting hardware a little suspect also (stripped out easily). Maybe they've made them better lately :naughty: I switched to Enduro Engineering guards and have never had a problem. I ride in the "Rockies" so when I drop my bike, it hits rock(notice I said when :naughty: ). Most guys I ride with have found the same thing with these guards. The E.E.'s are bomb proof, taken some nasty falls and haven't budged. Just my .02 worth.

• Desracer

Posted March 31, 2005 - 10:16 PM

Just move the electric start button to the other side of the brake clamp and it bolts right on. So the mounting will be the throttle, brake, e-button, its that easy. I have them on my bike and they work great. Remember some guys even break hammers.

• Fryboy

Posted April 01, 2005 - 06:25 AM

:naughty: I learned that the hard way too. For lighter bikes they might be okay. You know a TTR125 or the like. But these heavy suckas smash them, move them, and fold them in. If on the right side, your throttle will bind. The threads strip really easy. I was not impressed. Hope you have better luck, as I do crash hard :D If/when you need to replace them, I would suggest Enduro Engineering. Once you see the mounting and the bar you will understand what we mean.

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted April 01, 2005 - 12:19 PM

hey guys thanks for the responses, glad i finally contributed a 2 page thread on this place, im new here, and just got back into dirtbikes after about 6 years of no riding, and now i got my 1st 4-stroke, im gonna need some help every now and then. so if u ever see a stupid post by me, just kinda ignore it or correct me. just dont bad mouth me, im a NEWBIE!

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 01, 2005 - 10:59 PM

I learned that the hard way too. For lighter bikes they might be okay. You know a TTR125 or the like. But these heavy suckas smash them, move them, and fold them in. If on the right side, your throttle will bind. The threads strip really easy. I was not impressed. Hope you have better luck, as I do crash hard If/when you need to replace them, I would suggest Enduro Engineering. Once you see the mounting and the bar you will understand what we mean.

I think if you do a search you'll find a few people who echo my sentiment. The Rally pro's that I had bent and twisted on some pretty easy drops. I found the mounting hardware a little suspect also (stripped out easily). Maybe they've made them better lately I switched to Enduro Engineering guards and have never had a problem. I ride in the "Rockies" so when I drop my bike, it hits rock(notice I said when ). Most guys I ride with have found the same thing with these guards. The E.E.'s are bomb proof, taken some nasty falls and haven't budged. Just my .02 worth.

Thanks for the info guys. This is something I will look into. Man, there is just such a great amount of info/opinions here. :naughty:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.