Question about New XR650R and Power Mods

14 replies to this topic
  • DualSport650

Posted March 30, 2005 - 11:13 PM

BRP riders,

OK, I just got my new to me barely used 2001 Honda XR650R 2 weeks ago.

Now I'm modding it for more power. I've bought the EdelBrock carburetor and installed it along with a UNI air filter.

It's great! Now there's no more annoying bogging when I whack the throttle open. It just GOES! Tons of low-end horsepower. :goofy:

Anyway. After adding the Edelbrock, I decided to turn my attention to the stock exhaust system and took off the muffler tip to see what needed to be done to open up the exhaust flow.

It has a welded-on turn-down tip. I thought that the innards of the tip were gutted out for more flow, but what do I find?

It's the STOCK TIP!

This thing is quiet, but it's got to be holding back the flow and horsepower.

Anyone care to guess how much more power I can get by drilling the airbox cover and getting an HRC tip or aftermarket slip on muffler (Yosh, WB, or FMF)???

Thanks

• frogman

Posted March 31, 2005 - 12:26 AM

Man, you aint seen nothing yet, get the HRC-1 kit with the new intake manifold and pipe tip, take the restrictors out of the airbox as per the instructions and remember to adjust the Edelbrock richer a few clicks, I think mines at about 13 or 14 up.

When you get done, take that pig out to where you got the room to run thru the gears with power shifts, do that a few times and come back here and tell us about it.

• TimBrp

Posted March 31, 2005 - 04:36 AM

What frogman said. I couldn't see installing an edelbrock without proper uncorking first. Good luck, you'll love her!

• DualSport650

Posted March 31, 2005 - 08:16 AM

Well, it looks like I'm in for a nice surprise as far as more power goes.

The intake manifold was uncorked and I'm sure the airbox was uncorked too (I'll double-check), but the last step - opening up the exhaust - wasn't done!

I'll richen the Edelbrock too. This should be fun. :naughty:

• BWB63

Posted March 31, 2005 - 09:27 AM

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

• frogman

Posted March 31, 2005 - 05:16 PM

Well, it looks like I'm in for a nice surprise as far as more power goes.

The intake manifold was uncorked and I'm sure the airbox was uncorked too (I'll double-check), but the last step - opening up the exhaust - wasn't done!

I'll richen the Edelbrock too. This should be fun. :naughty:

Dont forget to come back and tell us about it.

• DualSport650

Posted March 31, 2005 - 08:39 PM

Here's the update you guys wanted...

I took the advice of you other BRP riders and rode the bike without the plugged up stock exhaust tip.

Here's how it all happened...

Right now I'm living on the outstirts of a jerk water town called Salem, Oregon.

I rode the XR650 Dual Sport (with the quiet tip in) out to a wide open un-developed field out in the countryside.

Then I rode it up and down the field a couple times, stopped, whipped out my crescent wrench, and took off the whole exhaust tip.

Now I had this giant wide-open hole in muffler. So, I jumped on the bike, fired it up and took off.

I got it going in a straight line and goosed the throttle wide open.

And guess what happened...

The thing TOOK OFF LIKE A ROCKET!!! It was really loud too (of course).

The bike accelerated so fast that my front end started head-shaking back and forth wildly because of the choppy ground beneath me.

Than the front end came up after each up-shift, even with the worn out old Dunlop on back.

It had a TON more horsepower and took me by surprise. To tell you the truth, I nearly soiled my britches. :naughty:

That's what I wanted! :naughty:

Now I'm going to go out and buy the HRC tip or an aftermarket slip-on (Yosh, WB, or FMF) so I can get the extra power/torque AND adjust the noise back down with quiet core inserts for the dual sport rides I do each year.

Right now it's a toss up between...

* Yoshimura Slip-On w/ Quiet Core
* White Brothers E2 (converts from loud to quiet in 30 seconds, but is ugly as hell)
* FMF Powercore 4 with Quiet Tip
* FMF Q2 (probably not enough power for me)
* HRC (Probably not - I need some bling)

Let me know what slip-on you'd suggest. I'm keeping the stock header to keep the killer torque.

Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Max Power

Posted March 31, 2005 - 08:48 PM

I like Bling.

Posted Image

• DualSport650

Posted March 31, 2005 - 08:52 PM

I'm diggin' the Akrapovic bling too. A guy on TT had one they wanted to sell me one, but I didn't buy it because the sound isn't adjustable... they're a little loud.

Hey Max Power, what say you about the Akrapovic???

• Max Power

Posted March 31, 2005 - 09:11 PM

I'm diggin' the Akrapovic bling too. A guy on TT had one they wanted to sell me one, but I didn't buy it because the sound isn't adjustable... they're a little loud.

Hey Max Power, what say you about the Akrapovic???

Akra's system is a work of art. Ohhhhh the sound. It has to be experienced to be believed. Quiet when it has to be, but when you get on it...... Mmmmmm..... Sooo good.

Sorry, got carried away. What was the question? :naughty:

• DualSport650

Posted March 31, 2005 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean about the sound.

My old XR600 was like that. Quiet when you're easy on the throttle and want to be stealth, but plenty of "gitty up" and some extra noise when you gas it.

It's all good...

• Desmo

Posted March 31, 2005 - 09:50 PM

The akro titanium is still in my garage.

entire system $425, shipped in the cont. US.

Cheers

Scott

• frogman

Posted April 01, 2005 - 01:47 AM

If I could fart gold dust I'd get the Yoshimura.

• TimBrp

Posted April 01, 2005 - 04:17 AM

I like the stock exhaust. While heavy, it is the best performer for "all around" power. With any aftermarket you're just going to get more low or top but you'll lose something somewhere. There's a reason the stock "goshi" honda canister is $500+ from the honda shop. They put some serious R&D into it. I just had mine ceramic coated and will post pics as soon as the pig is off the stand.

• DualSport650

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:19 AM

I'm probably going to get the Yosh. I have a little gold dust I can throw around.

Hey TimBRP, post a pic of your ceramic coated stock exhaust. We'd love to see it. :naughty:

Matt

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.