96 XR600R Lighting issues

3 replies to this topic
  • sockeye

Posted March 30, 2005 - 03:29 PM

I've got a 96 XR600R that runs great, except the lights don't work anymore. I was having problems with the headlight burning out, especially after bumpy roads or in wet/cold conditions. Solved that problem by putting a little gasket maker in with the bulb to seal the headlight hole. this helped with vibrations, also. Next my taillight quit working and I bought a new bulb to replace it with and found the existing one was fine.

Currently, neither light works, and that's with new bulbs. I haven't put a multimeter on the light sockets yet, but I know there's no current there, otherwise there'd be SOME light.

So can anyone tell me what to check next or what the problem might be. I'm assuming my stator is fine since I'm getting good spark and the bike doesn't run or start any differently now than it did before. Thanks for your help!

• moleculo

Posted March 30, 2005 - 04:59 PM

Check for corrosion or an unplugged wire at the double-female voltage regulator connections under the seat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • minioutlaw

Posted March 31, 2005 - 12:47 PM

Don't forget about your stator just yet; the lighting and ignition occupy separate windings. I was having lighting problems without ignition problems and it turned out that some of the lighting windings were grounding out on the case on an aftermarket stator. Which isn't to say you shouldn't look for a simpler problem first...

• sockeye

Posted April 03, 2005 - 09:54 PM

well... I had previously had the seat off looking at connections, but must have missed one! so after cleaning everything up and checking all connections, I'm happy to say that both lights are working great!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.