Anybody seen the May Dirt Rider yet?

35 replies to this topic
  • Jim_bo

Posted March 31, 2005 - 03:12 PM

$6650 otd with a 3year warranty @ chaparral (g/f worked there for 9 years). i was looking into the crfx but crapped my pants when i saw the price, and they wouldnt cut me a deal, even though they gave me a good deal on the wr....my buddy works down @ IMS and he said there gonna be recalling the crf, or the crfx i dont quite remember the whole story, it could just be a rumor, but he said they were gonna...well see.... if thats the case, dam im glad i bought the wr.

Dude.... what the heck is a 3 year warranty?? What does it pay for??

Jimbo

• velosapiens

Posted March 31, 2005 - 03:36 PM

There are lots of different opinions on the bikes. I believe it is written this way so no one gets their feelings hurt.

or maybe all the bikes right now are pretty darned good. i haven't ridden a new wr but it sounds like they fixed the ponderous top-heavy feel that i hated about the 03 i rode. i'm sure the crfx is an awesome bike but i'd be worried about reliability until the 06 models come out and they have some history. i've been on some ktm's and bergs, and they are getting pretty darned dialed right out of the box now too.

mw

• Math

Posted April 01, 2005 - 06:53 AM

Nearly ten years ago, I ordered an archive article from Dirt Bike mag. It was a shoutout involving four 1983 bikes: PE175, IT175, XR200 and KDX200. At that time I owned a 83kdx200 and was curious to know what DB had to say about the bike when it was released.

The shoutout conclusion was simple: the kdx 200 is really uncomfortable but since it has the most powerfull engine. It is ranked first. That's the spirit!

When I first read a report about the YZ450 vs the CRF450, it seemed obvious that the YZ had the most powerfull engine. Moreover, it seemed to be more reliable. Result: CRF scores first because it has more "usable" power (what the hek?), Renthal bars and is more "fun to ride". I was like... huh!?!?!?

Since then, I'm always interested in reading the shoutouts to know the goods and bads of each bikes but I just forget about the ranking they do.

Just my humble opinion.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 01, 2005 - 08:15 AM

I got to read most of article on the 450s in Dirtrider. I think it was a good write up, I agree the the KTMs are close to perfection, they're slim, light and fast, not to metion all the great stuff that comes of the bike (love that new computer). It's no wonder why you see so many guys switching over to the orange bikes. The Honda got great reviews, it'll be interesting to see if how their valve train will hold up to the drooling reviews of the bike. Looks like Honda hit a homerun with the bike in its first year, pretty impressive but what else would you expect from them, they have always made great bikes. It almost felt like the WR was more compaired to last years WR model than all the other models in the comparison. They loved the exhaust :naughty: If you pulled the restrictive stock exhaust off and replaced it with a quiet free flowing designed pipe you would see completely different numbers on their radar gun run. I do understand though, they want to compare quiet, stock bikes not loud ones... Even though I have different appreciation for the Yamaha and its handling characteristics I thought Jimmy Lewis and his boys did a great job.. Dirtrider is getting back to being a top notch publication again, thanks to him...

• Texas4play

Posted April 01, 2005 - 09:46 AM

I agree with Dan on Jimmy Lewis. He's a great rider,racer,writer and editor. Jimmy's NO BS approach to bike evaluations is a much welcomed resource IMO. He does favor KTM for his personal riding habits but, keeps a respectful bias for others. :naughty:

I'd offer up even more kudos for Dirt Rider if my issue would hurry up and get here!!! :naughty:

• Math

Posted April 01, 2005 - 10:51 AM

So you guys think Dirt Rider has become a better mag than Dirt Bike is? I've never subscribed to Dirt Rider but since I have no subscription ongoing at the moment and since I'm thinking of getting one, I might try dirt Rider. I have to say the last two issues I've bought were very interesting...

• basicblues

Posted April 01, 2005 - 11:08 AM

It's all pay for say with these rags. I'd like to see them say something like that's too bad that bike really sucks if that were really the case instead having a luke warm keep everybody happy and the money rolling in type response. Your best off-road motorcycle review and analysis is found right here on TT free of charge. Not to say I don't enjoy reading anything about motorcycles and as long as I can subscribe for $12 a year, I'll get my $1 a month entertainment value out of it. I just won't put much stock into their comments when making a purchase because what's right for someone else may not be right for me. Do your homework, educate yourself first, buy what YOU like.

• MADDOG450X

Posted April 01, 2005 - 11:49 AM

The Mag is already out. Got it yesterday. I took a quick peek at it, Going to read it tonight. :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted April 01, 2005 - 11:53 AM

Dude.... what the heck is a 3 year warranty?? What does it pay for??

Jimbo

its like full coverage insurance..n-e thing goes wrong, i take it there, i can ride it off a cliff and take it back. but it doesnt cover theft. i can run it with no oil in 2 years and seize it up, and all i have to do is take it back, and i get a new motor. not bad for 150 bucks...so all u guys with the starter problems, if i have 1 i just take it back...if i buy parts they install them for free, i just have to take the bike down there.
:naughty: ...even better though, i didnt even pay for the warranty my boss did!!

• Texas4play

Posted April 01, 2005 - 01:39 PM

So you guys think Dirt Rider has become a better mag than Dirt Bike is? I've never subscribed to Dirt Rider but since I have no subscription ongoing at the moment and since I'm thinking of getting one, I might try dirt Rider. I have to say the last two issues I've bought were very interesting...

I've read just about all the cycle rags out there and thru process of elimination, Dirt Rider is the only subscription I have. The reviews sometimes you take with a grain of salt but most times if you read between the lines you can really hear what they are saying. Plus, they have a tv show on OLN which most mags don't. They do more for the sport than just sell magazines
:naughty:

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 01, 2005 - 01:45 PM

So do you guys think any magazine is going to retrospectively review the fact that the first and second model year CRFs, especially the 250s had temperamental valvetrains that required much much more maintenance and needed many more benjamins to fix then other manufacturers models? I highly doubt it, if that becomes known fact and judging from the concern in those forums it seems to be occuring from peoples comments.

That poll, admitteldly wildy unscientific, in the CRF250 forum as around 20% respondants mentioning something about valvetrain failure after 50 hours. That's wack.

Do you think Honda would look favorably at any mag that publicized that?

• Seabass

Posted April 01, 2005 - 04:36 PM

its like full coverage insurance..n-e thing goes wrong, i take it there, i can ride it off a cliff and take it back. but it doesnt cover theft. i can run it with no oil in 2 years and seize it up, and all i have to do is take it back, and i get a new motor. not bad for 150 bucks...so all u guys with the starter problems, if i have 1 i just take it back...if i buy parts they install them for free, i just have to take the bike down there.
:naughty: ...even better though, i didnt even pay for the warranty my boss did!!

Is this warranty from Yamaha or an outside company? If it's an outside company good luck getting anything fixed. My brother bought one when he bought his WR 400 and never could get the company he bought the warranty from to pay for anything :naughty:

• honuki250

Posted April 01, 2005 - 04:48 PM

Why didn't they have the RMZ450 in the mix. They had other new bikes in there?

• RCannon

Posted April 01, 2005 - 05:04 PM

So the manufactures get mad at the magazines. They pull their ads. Then what?

Would Honda advertise in Better Homes and Gardens? Maybe Oprah???

I believe a magazine could make a go of it by telling it like it is. Dirt Rider is much better than it was even 6 months ago.

Dirt Bike sucks, plain and simple.

• RADRick

Posted April 01, 2005 - 06:41 PM

Why didn't they have the RMZ450 in the mix. They had other new bikes in there?

Production models were not yet available. It would have been unfair to use the pre-production model we had at the time.

• Texas4play

Posted April 02, 2005 - 05:49 AM

Production models were not yet available. It would have been unfair to use the pre-production model we had at the time.

Well that and the RMZ450 is not an "Offroad" bike it's a "MX" bike. It'll be interesting to see what Suzuki and Kawasaki does with their new powerhouse 450F's. Will they keep the DRZ and KLX? Will they jump in the 450 competition off road game? I think so. It's only a matter fo time but, I think they are coming.

As far as reviews go, Dirt Riders 24 hour test was the best yet for our sport. They gave praise where praise was do and they aired faults and/or annoyances with respect to the sport.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.