Anybody seen the May Dirt Rider yet?

35 replies to this topic
  • SkyRaider

Posted March 30, 2005 - 12:51 PM

It's supposed to have the 450cc enduro 24-hour test. I think they are testing five or six bikes. I'm not going to let whatever they say about the Yamaha bother me one way or the other, but I'm kind of anxious to see where they rank it. It should be out any day now.

I'm going to guess third or fourth.

#1 Honda
#2 KTM
#3 Yamaha or something else (Husaburg?)

They did a pretty nice review of it a couple of months ago, but they sure seemed to be making their "O face" over the Honda last month.

• Seabass

Posted March 30, 2005 - 02:04 PM

The last month? Those guys have been gushing over the CRF X for the past six months! :naughty: A friend of mine did buy one and traded in his '02 WR for it, and he was real stoked on the Honda.

• Texas4play

Posted March 30, 2005 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, I've been curious to see that write up as well. I think TT member "RADRick" is a Moto-Journalist, maybe he'll chime in and give us a sneak peak at the outcome. I think if you look at the overall longevity, performance, dealer network, and value Yamaha is hard to beat. Honda is a good machine although I'm still leary of it's maintenence schedule. And at $6999 msrp I think I'd rather step up to a KTM but, there's not a KTM dealer within a 30 mile radius of me - so that's not good. Husky/Husa/ or whoever else doesn't have enough street credit yet for the masses. I maybe wrong, it's just my opinion.

• SkyRaider

Posted March 30, 2005 - 02:38 PM

Where do you live, 4play? I'm in Lubbock.

By the way, MSRP on the 450X is $7,199. To me, that makes the Yamaha look like a steal.

• RADRick

Posted March 30, 2005 - 02:59 PM

[quote name='Texas4play']Yeah, I've been curious to see that write up as well. I think TT member "RADRick" is a Moto-Journalist, maybe he'll chime in and give us a sneak peak at the outcome.[QUOTE]

I wish I could, but I'm sworn to secrecy. I want to keep doing work for them. :naughty:

• SkyRaider

Posted March 30, 2005 - 03:09 PM

So when will it hit our mailbox?

Or do we even want to read the article?

• Texas4play

Posted March 30, 2005 - 03:13 PM

[quote name='RADRick'][quote name='Texas4play']Yeah, I've been curious to see that write up as well. I think TT member "RADRick" is a Moto-Journalist, maybe he'll chime in and give us a sneak peak at the outcome.[QUOTE]

I wish I could, but I'm sworn to secrecy. I want to keep doing work for them. :naughty:[/QUOTE]

I don't blame ya !

• RCannon

Posted March 30, 2005 - 03:18 PM

It was a decent article. The KTM finished first. The Honda did about as well as the Yamaha. There are lots of different opinions on the bikes. I believe it is written this way so no one gets their feelings hurt.

I just got my magazine in the mail today. The local motorcycle shop has had the issue for over a week.

• Texas4play

Posted March 30, 2005 - 03:22 PM

Where do you live, 4play? I'm in Lubbock.

By the way, MSRP on the 450X is $7,199. To me, that makes the Yamaha look like a steal.

Ouch, you're right ($7199.00).
Plus freight :naughty: Plus Prep :naughty: Plus owners wifes boob job , tax (8%), title, doc fee , blah blah etc etc ... Over $8000 easily :D

I'm in Dallas

• patrickincc

Posted March 30, 2005 - 04:08 PM

The yamaha is lighter and more dependable then the honda

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Seabass

Posted March 30, 2005 - 05:56 PM

Ouch, you're right ($7199.00).
Plus freight :D Plus Prep :naughty: Plus owners wifes boob job , tax (8%), title, doc fee , blah blah etc etc ... Over $8000 easily :naughty:

I'm in Dallas

People in Cali are paying $7100 to $7200 OTD, but we pay way, way more for the gas :D than you do in Texas!!!

• Husky_Forever

Posted March 30, 2005 - 07:46 PM

If your going to pay $7200 for the new Yamaha WR or Honda 450X's you might as well save a few bucks and buy the 05 Husky 450TE $6900 OTD in Ca.. Or spend the same money and buy the 05 510TE $7500 OTD in Ca..Less to add to it to make it truely worthy of racing. Parts on same price level and quicker delivery these days. Steny :naughty:

• SkyRaider

Posted March 30, 2005 - 08:22 PM

The WR lists for $6,599. If you don't have to pay tax, I think you can get OTD for less than $6,200, and that's pretty conservative. Most are discounting the bike by itself for less than $6,000. Compared to the other bikes in the category, the WR is pretty darn reasonable.

• Texas4play

Posted March 31, 2005 - 06:18 AM

People in Cali are paying $7100 to $7200 OTD, but we way, way more for the gas :naughty: than you do in Texas!!!

Does CA have "drive-thru" implants yet? That could be part of the cost reduction, lower overhead. You did mean $7200 for the Honda CRF450X right?

I know I paid $6300 OTD for my '05 WR when they first hit the dealer.

BTW, you guys need to check out www.gasbuddy.com to try and find the least expensive gas in your area. CA looks to be $.30 higher than TX right now.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 31, 2005 - 06:28 AM

I never expect the Yamahas to do well, Dirt Rider loves KTMs... And yes, they have gushing over the 450x forever.. The Yamaha to them is boring, it's been around a long time, same ole' blue plastic, free mods,rock solid reliability, fat and heavy bike blah blah blah... Watch, now that the Honda is heavy, weight will no longer be an issue.. :naughty: The poor WR gets picked on every time.. :naughty: :D

ps. I paid 6673.00 OTD in Cali... Bike,tax,reg and prep... Yep, you have to pay tax in CA, it's the price of doin business....

• gregwr450f

Posted March 31, 2005 - 06:32 AM

It was a decent article. The KTM finished first. The Honda did about as well as the Yamaha. There are lots of different opinions on the bikes. I believe it is written this way so no one gets their feelings hurt.

I just got my magazine in the mail today. The local motorcycle shop has had the issue for over a week.

It's written in away so as not to p### any manufacturers, if they stop paying for ads you will pay big $ for the mag :naughty:

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 31, 2005 - 08:18 AM

I quit respecting much of what ANY particular magazine had to say about any particular bike as I realized in a somewhat cynical way that what they are doing is just a form of advertising for ALL manufacturers.

I learned this with the 92 CR250, which I believe was nearly the crappiest MXer ever made....yet they gushed about it. Soon they too would write about cracked swingarms, fractured pipes, wierd handling...etc etc.
Funny thing was none of that info ever made it into thier shootouts and tests. What good then, was that information that they wrote initially? None at all.

The information from this bb and the others out there is a 1000x time more informative, trustworthy when taken as a whole and allows me as a consumer to make more informed decisions.

IMO.....of course.

The WR seems to be a much more dependable machine in many ways than the CRFx's right now, but that all revolves around how much you like changing out your pistons and valves etc. Judging from users experiences on this board. Makes for fun arguments I guess.

• BubZ

Posted March 31, 2005 - 09:23 AM

I believe that if the Honda had flat tires, weighed over 300 lbs and was air cooled they would roll over and bark for it! KTM's ? Great bikes I'm sure, but suspension and handling come up on every single test. There has to be a reason, wouldn't you think?

The WR has been a wonderful mount. It's super fast, handles great, has great suspension and seems to hold up very well. Still you have to wonder how many of us can ride any of these bikes to their full potential. I know I can go way faster on my WR than is prudent. I also know if you put Zip Ty on my bike he would go a lot faster, so then the rest is purely semantics.

I expect them to rate the WR lower, but that doesn't dampen my enthusiasm for the bike.

Bud

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted March 31, 2005 - 11:42 AM

$6650 otd with a 3year warranty @ chaparral (g/f worked there for 9 years). i was looking into the crfx but crapped my pants when i saw the price, and they wouldnt cut me a deal, even though they gave me a good deal on the wr....my buddy works down @ IMS and he said there gonna be recalling the crf, or the crfx i dont quite remember the whole story, it could just be a rumor, but he said they were gonna...well see.... if thats the case, dam im glad i bought the wr.

• armadillo

Posted March 31, 2005 - 12:20 PM

I quit respecting much of what ANY particular magazine had to say about any particular bike as I realized in a somewhat cynical way that what they are doing is just a form of advertising for ALL manufacturers.

The information from this bb and the others out there is a 1000x time more informative, trustworthy when taken as a whole and allows me as a consumer to make more informed decisions.

IMO.....of course.

The WR seems to be a much more dependable machine in many ways than the CRFx's right now, but that all revolves around how much you like changing out your pistons and valves etc. Judging from users experiences on this board. Makes for fun arguments I guess.

I agree....I like to see what the mags have to say and look at the pics. But, when I want real information on a bike I go here and to other forums. There's no better information out there then the guys and gals who have layed out their hard earned cash!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.