Reality Check

14 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted October 31, 2000 - 03:32 AM

No matter how good you think you are, no matter how fast you think you're going, no matter how good a day you think you are having, NOTHING humbles you more back to reality than getting roosted by a punk on an 80 in a Hare Scramble :)

Luckily I wasn't the only one this kid put to shame. Lots of buzz about him after the race.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400 with a lot of dumb, stupid, here take my money, I have to have them but they don't make me a better rider extra mods.
(Except the dampner :D)

• Hick

Posted October 31, 2000 - 05:48 AM

From the “it coulda been worse” dept.:

At least you didn’t get beat by a chick...

…and no, that hasn’t happened to me, but it ALMOST did.

• TW

Posted October 31, 2000 - 01:46 PM

Would you care to elaborate some :).

------------------
99 WR400
BRC
NOHVA
AMA

• Scott

Posted October 31, 2000 - 02:08 PM

I know the feeling! I know this isn't moto-x related but...I was in a triathlon a while bike and got passed by two middle-aged females on a tandem bike. (I was 23 at the time)

No matter what you do, there will inevitably be someone better.

------------------
99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Uni filter,E-Series pipe,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,lights removed,YZ tank,13 tooth sprocket

• Howard_Huge

Posted October 31, 2000 - 02:28 PM

Dougie, there are some pretty fast chicks out there! I was beat by one in my last hare scrambles she is an A rider by the name of Heather W. she beat me by 42 seconds. After seeing the results I was sure I could have made up 43 seconds somewhere, oh well theres always next time. But a kid on an 80 thats a different story entirely :)

• Hick

Posted October 31, 2000 - 02:35 PM

Originally posted by TW:
Would you care to elaborate some :D.

I shoulda never brought that up :D

Elaborating will only sound like I’m making excuses, but this girl is fast, usually rides a KTM 200 or 125, and came in like 11th to my 9th overall amateur (my first race, but at least I didn’t enter Novice) against about 35 bikes, so she DID beat like 20 guys not counting DNFs. I never asked them how they handled that, probably not a good conversation starter, “So, that chick on the 125 beat you, huh?”

I race expert now because there are no girls in that class. :D Amateurs race a shorter course or fewer loops therefore I am no longer in danger of being beaten by a chick. My manhood shall remain (mostly) intact. :D

I just checked the results from last weekend and she DNFed :) but she had a top 15 earlier in the year.

I couldn’t make the last race because my bike is broken :D

Instead I spent the weekend breaking in my new Moose pants at a Halloween party. That’s lame I know but at least I didn’t dress up as a hick again…

[This message has been edited by Hick (edited 10-31-2000).]

• TW

Posted October 31, 2000 - 04:33 PM

Hick, LOL on the Halloween part, good commentary on the racing also :D. I was actually wanting to hear Dougie's story. As far as getting beat by a chick, no problem in my camp, just another rider, but the little kid's on the 80's is another story and it has happened to me also. Kinda like skiing and the little bastards just fly by usually with a remark thrown in for good measure :).

------------------
99 WR400
BRC
NOHVA
AMA

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_M

Posted October 31, 2000 - 05:10 PM

One of the guys in our riding group (an average rider on XR250) once got passed on a downhill by a mountain biker, that happened about 2 years ago and we never let him live it down.... :)
Mark in KY

• Dougie

Posted November 01, 2000 - 01:49 AM

Actually, not much to my story except I got passed and roosted by a kid on an 80. He wasn't in my class. Or should I say I wasn't in his class.

I was racing the Vet 30-39 class and I assume he was in the Amatuer class. He was fast and fluid. He was getting by everyone in the turns. He passed me once on a turn and I flew by him on the straight and then he went by again in a section with a lot of turns and I never saw him again.

This was only my second Hare Scramble race and I must say I had a lot of fun. I talked a buddy of mine into going with me so I wasn't so nervous this time around. I finished 18th out of 34 in my class. My Friend finished 12th on a beat up XR600. He finished about 4 1/2 minutes before me and we both finished on the 11th lap. However, I stopped once to put on my Camelback and that took a few minutes out of my time. So I'm convinced if I wasn't dumb enough to think I could complete a 2 1/2 hour race without water, I would have finished in the top 15.

I was real happy with the bike. 2 1/2 hours and 80 miles of all out non stop high revving gear abusing fun. If you have never done a Hare Scramble, I really recommend them. What was I thinking all these years. Now if I can just get Bryan, Jake and Kerry to do one.

------------------
Dougie, '99 WR400 with a lot of dumb, stupid, here take my money, I have to have them but they don't make me a better rider extra mods.
(Except the dampner :))

[This message has been edited by Dougie (edited 11-01-2000).]

• sbohanon

Posted November 01, 2000 - 02:12 AM

80 miles in 2 1/2 hours?, must be wide open stuff. you all ought to come east and ride 2 hours in tight woods and rocks. the best i
have been able to do is around 26-35 miles in that time. i would love to go west and try your terrain!!!

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted November 01, 2000 - 07:07 AM

Dougie - watch out for any road crossings, especially if you get Jake to try a Hare Scrambles w/you.

Brian

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 01, 2000 - 07:58 AM

If you spent another thousand dollars on "dumb, stupid, won't make me faster, but I still gotta have them" mods, I'm sure you would beat that kid.

• Hick

Posted November 01, 2000 - 08:00 AM

Dougie,

I’m sure you realize this but if you load up with liquids before the race (and for God’s sake lay off the beer) it really helps. I doubt you could do without the camelback but I can usually rail it for one entire 25 mile loop (I try to start fast, pace myself and finish fast. Still working on the finishing fast part…) before I need a drink.

It sounds like a lot but I can easily drink a gallon of water the night before/morning of a race.

It’s a blast, ain’t it?

TW,
Come on, you’ve never worn all your gear to a costume party?

As for the little punks on snowboards they are part of the reason I quit trying to pick that sport up, it was just too demoralizing (as well as painful).

Sbohanon,

I race in NM and the events are probably about the same avg. speed as Dougie’s race. I’m sure a tree would kill me back east. I might not recognize one for what it is until its too late…

• Howard_Huge

Posted November 01, 2000 - 02:14 PM

Dougie, Congradulations on finishing your Hare Scrambles. Its good to see one of the TT members in Colorado are competing. How long was the course miles per loop? 11 laps thats quite a few you get to memorize the course better with the higher # of laps (good thing). what I like about the Hare Scrambles series is that you get to ride in different areas without having to worry about getting lost. If you enjoy racing your results will improve as well as your riding ability. Kerry T. would do great if you can get him started. Are your races started dead engine? If so practice your starts. huge

• Dougie

Posted November 02, 2000 - 02:00 AM

Hey Howard, The course was approx. 7 miles. It was 1.4 on the MX track and then the rest on a "trail" system behind the track. It was loaded with turns. I did find myself getting better at turning as the day went on. That was until the final two laps when I was just hanging on to the bike trying to keep it up. I was so tired. I never went down and I only stalled it once.

It was a dead engine start, and we stradled the front tire facing the bike. And I did much better than last time. I reported I killed the bike when I grabbed a handful of compression lever last year. This year I was mid pack on the start. What a hoot going into that first turn.

I found myself laughing just watching how good some of those guys were. And this was really the first time I experienced racing roost. Ouch! My buddy didn't have a chest protector and I though of him everytime I got pelted. If I learned one thing, it was to be aggressive in the turns. I was amazed how the better guys would attack them. I got passed quite a bit when a guy would fly by me into a turn. And I mean as I was approaching the apex of the turn. Master the turns and you will improve your time considerably. I have lots of practice to do.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.