New Bike, What's First?

16 replies to this topic
  • derobinson

Posted March 29, 2005 - 07:16 PM

Hi everyone. I am new to TT and have my first questions. I just bought a 2005 YZ250F. I am not a very experienced rider yet, but I love this bike. I had originally bought a CRF 150, but after about two weeks I went back to get a real bike! (No offense Honda riders).

Anyway, I have 2 quick questions.

1. What is the best first mod? I am thinking exhaust, and I was told by the parts guy where I bought my bike that a Vortex Ignition makes a lot of difference.

2. What is all this hype about jetting? Is this something that is easy to do? I did notice that my bike backfires when I am starting it cold, but it goes away after it is warm. Would a jetting adjustment fix this?

Thanks,

• yzf450jack

Posted March 29, 2005 - 08:11 PM

You can start with a fuel screw :naughty:

• Crabtree426

Posted March 29, 2005 - 09:32 PM

The powernow and powernow plus are nice mods if you trail ride. They give your bike a crisper feel on the low end. Also, if you T.R. get the summers seal savers. They're a must.

• ovrrdrive

Posted March 30, 2005 - 01:51 AM

The first thing I'd do if I had a YZ250f, is post this question in the 250f forum! :naughty:

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

Read up on the jetting issues, as most of the bikes come from the factory way too lean which makes them run bad, backfire and pop a lot, and run hot. There is a 95% chance that you'll need to change the jets to make it run right. But every bike is different, and everyone's climate is different too.

Your results may vary...

Oh yeah, and the first mod to my bike was the Zipty adjustable fuel screw. It's worth its weight in gold.

Next was the kickstand for my trails only YZ450, then a 13T front sprocket to make 1st gear more useable in the woods, and lastly a Pro Moto Billet endcap with spark arrestor and quiet insert.

My bike is everything I ever wanted it to be.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 30, 2005 - 06:52 AM

Hi everyone. I am new to TT and have my first questions. I just bought a 2005 YZ250F. I am not a very experienced rider yet, but I love this bike. I had originally bought a CRF 150, but after about two weeks I went back to get a real bike! (No offense Honda riders).

Anyway, I have 2 quick questions.

1. What is the best first mod? I am thinking exhaust, and I was told by the parts guy where I bought my bike that a Vortex Ignition makes a lot of difference.

2. What is all this hype about jetting? Is this something that is easy to do? I did notice that my bike backfires when I am starting it cold, but it goes away after it is warm. Would a jetting adjustment fix this?

Thanks,

Congrats on your purchase - that is a nice bike - I would get fuel screw from ZipTy and a new better chain and at least Renthal bars (Stock chain and handlebars are junk) then just practice practice practice to get used to your new bike before spending a bunch of money on other mods - :naughty:

my 2cents

• Dano426

Posted March 30, 2005 - 07:52 AM

Here is a link to answer all you mod questions

http://www.thumperfaq.com/

Ride it a while and decide what mods would work better for you.

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 30, 2005 - 09:32 AM

The first thing I'd do if I had a YZ250f, is post this question in the 250f forum! :naughty:

Dang ya beat me too it :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2005 - 09:51 AM

I would get...at least Renthal bars (Stock ...handlebars are junk)

I believe this is no longer the case with the '05's. You're still right about the chain, though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz400fl1

Posted March 30, 2005 - 11:22 AM

Don't the new yz's come with Renthals?

• tnl

Posted March 30, 2005 - 11:30 AM

05 Renthals? Yes. Junk? Yes! Get complete set of good riding equipment!

• EL Cracker

Posted March 30, 2005 - 11:34 AM

I would start with a good pare of Handlbars like Pro Taper Twin Walls. :naughty:

• sleeman

Posted March 30, 2005 - 11:37 AM

If you trail ride you should also purchase a good set of hand gaurds.

• Throttle_monkey1

Posted March 30, 2005 - 11:37 AM

Pro-taper twin walls?

• cowboyona426

Posted March 30, 2005 - 11:47 AM

Before you start modding it, ride it a few times and get a feel for it. Then decide where you want to start changing things up. Exhaust is always a good place to start, but even if you ride tracks only don't buy the loudest pipe available just because it's loud! Quieter exhausts perform well too. For exhaust, I recommend the Thunder Alley, but I'm not sure if they make one for a 250F. I don't recommend the PowerNow, I didn't feel like it made any difference. For trails, aluminum handguards are a must. Radiator braces are a good idea also, I have Works Connection braces and they've saved my rads a few times. Other than that, enjoy the new ride!

• Ga426owner

Posted March 30, 2005 - 11:48 AM

I believe this is no longer the case with the '05's. You're still right about the chain, though.

thanks Greyracer......I need a new bike......my memmory must be going going gone............ :naughty:

• bzakk

Posted March 30, 2005 - 03:43 PM

I would get exhaust and adjust the fuel screw first. The popping is totally normal when these bikes are cold........

• yz_for_me

Posted March 30, 2005 - 04:27 PM

The first "mod" I would do to a new bike is grease the stearing stem, linkage and wheel bearings. New bikes come with next to no grease in the bearings. It's not a very exciting mod, but it is cheap, easy and your bearings will thank you for it.

Otherwise, I would say just ride it for a while before you change anything. If you're a new rider you probably won't need performance mods for a while. Chances are this bike will more than keep up with you for some time. Instead of putting money into mods, I would put money into practice time at your track. At this stage, the best thing you can do to get faster is get as much seat time as you can.

Of course, if money isn't an object, ignore what I just said. Buy mods and seat time.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.