Why 2 Throttle cables on my 2002 YZ426F

7 replies to this topic
  • YZ426FROCKS

Posted March 29, 2005 - 07:04 PM

I am wondering why there are 2 cables on my bike, I like the way a 2 stroke throttle feels with the little bit of play there is. I have played around with the adjustments, added a Protaper twister bearing throttle tube, which was a fantastic addition, and I still have the same feel as far as free play. Any suggestions? do I need the second cable? : :naughty:

• GMAN69

Posted March 29, 2005 - 07:27 PM

One cable is the return. Its pushs the throttle shut. It would feel real loose without it. You need it. You can ajust the freeplay down on the carb with the lock nut on the cable.

• YZ426FROCKS

Posted March 30, 2005 - 12:09 PM

I relize that, why don't 2 strokes have 2 cables? Doesn't the spring close the slide? I am not sure why they designed it this way, I am sure there is a good reason, and I would like to know what it is. :naughty:

• sleeman

Posted March 30, 2005 - 12:14 PM

Much more vacuum pressure on a four stroke.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamahauler44

Posted March 30, 2005 - 03:32 PM

i took of the second cable on mine, and love it! better throttle response.

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2005 - 03:51 PM

Since the cable in an FCR carb does not pull directly on the slide, and there are a number of places in the rather more complicated throttle linkage where something could go wrong, the engineers wanted a way to manually close the throttle if the need arose. Having had the throttle on my 450 wide open before, I think I like the idea of being able to force it shut, thank you.

Without changing the throttle twist grip to a two-stroke style part, the only thing stopping the throttle at an idle is the second cable. If you removed the closing cable, there would be no way to eliminate the slack in the grip.

• WRookie

Posted March 30, 2005 - 04:51 PM

I have heard that the high vacuum can hold the slide open. Also heard that AMA has a safety rule that 4 strokes must have dual cables. Don't know for sure but it has the ring of truth to it.

• FFRacing79

Posted March 30, 2005 - 05:12 PM

One cable is the return. Its pushs the throttle shut. It would feel real loose without it. You need it. You can ajust the freeplay down on the carb with the lock nut on the cable.

It is strictly a liability thing. If the cables are adjusted properly, the idle cable is just along for the ride. This is per Mikuni, Keihin, and various cable makers.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.