Fork Seal - 2003 WR450F

6 replies to this topic
  • DRZBigB

Posted March 29, 2005 - 05:12 PM

Leaking fork seal...

Going to disassemble it tonight, and try the "Business Card" method to see if there is some dirt trapped in the oil seal or dust seal..

Any tricks or methods to cleaning/replacing the oil seals?

I don't have the special tool - what else works well? PVC?

Thanks..

• drewpeacock

Posted March 29, 2005 - 06:59 PM

Yesterday I pulled down the first seal then the clip off the next seal and used a photo negative and went around them a few times and it worked great! No leaks at all. Try it. :naughty:

• trickwarrior

Posted March 29, 2005 - 10:47 PM

Did my 99 WR forks last night, they took like 2 hours. I would try the film negative before the card cause I think they contour bette :naughty: r. Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KaBooM

Posted March 30, 2005 - 06:46 AM

When they start leaking again get your self some good seals. Ask around, you'lle find em1

Good Luck, KaBooM

Leaking fork seal...

Going to disassemble it tonight, and try the "Business Card" method to see if there is some dirt trapped in the oil seal or dust seal..

Thanks..

• KaBooM

Posted March 30, 2005 - 06:46 AM

When they start leaking again get your self some good seals. Ask around, you'lle find em

Good Luck, KaBooM

Leaking fork seal...

Thanks..

• DRZBigB

Posted March 30, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Took them apart lastnight, and cleaned the crap out of them - there was some mud and fine baja sand that was wedged in the oil seal... I think that was causing the leaking... Business card worked well... Couldn't find a film negative.. All the cameras are digital now..

Soo far soo good - Put 1.5 NEW quarts of Fork Oil and cleaned all the seals, piston metal, all the cool little parts those forks have in them... Impressive.

Now it can be done in 15 minutes rather than hours...

I think "Seal Savers" are in order and BETTER new seals all together..

Any suggestions for oil seals and dust seals?

• dnthmn87

Posted April 29, 2011 - 09:43 AM

Race Tech seals from Rocky Mountain atv

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.