IMS tank, my petcock leaks!!!!!!!!!....

5 replies to this topic
  • 97zjguy

Posted March 29, 2005 - 04:33 PM

I recently bought an IMS tank for my 98 yz400 from a fellow TTer. My problem is that my stock petcock won't seal up. It uses a very small o-ring to seal to the mating surface of the stock tank, but it seams as though I need an actual rubber gasket for it to seal up to the IMS tank, as the mating surfaces differ. Has anyone had this problem, or heard of it?
Also, the petcock is on the rider's left side instead of the right, and I have to turn the stock petcock to the inside to keep the fuel line outlet facing rearward. Has anyone experienced this, or had problems with the fuel line being to close to the exhaust as a result? :naughty:

Thanx in advance.

• ISBB

Posted March 29, 2005 - 07:39 PM

i thought the petcock was always on the left side???? maybe im just imagining things..

• trailriderjoe

Posted March 30, 2005 - 04:51 AM

So if I got this right You are trying to use the factory petcock on the IMS tank. The factory petcock goes on the LH side where as the IMS tank has it on the RH side. That's why the factory one wont fit, it's being used on the wrong side (hence why you had to turn it around). With that said My 98, when I had an IMS tank on it, had an IMS supplied petcock and I believe a full face rubber gasket not o-rings. Suspect you'll need to get either an aftermarket petcock with the correct RH config, or just call IMS for one. Why didn't the IMS tank come with it?

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGoalie

Posted March 30, 2005 - 07:10 AM

My clarke tank came with a beefy rubber gasket to add to the assembly. That's what you need.

• 97zjguy

Posted March 30, 2005 - 05:15 PM

I bought the tank from a fellow TTer, as I said, and it was used. No petcock supplied. I don't mind that the shutoff is to the inside, I just don't want it to leak all over the exhaust! :naughty:

• 97zjguy

Posted March 30, 2005 - 05:17 PM

Not on this tank. Any help would be awesome!!! :naughty:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.