Too Loud?!!

9 replies to this topic
  • gdavis

Posted March 29, 2005 - 03:11 PM

I have an 03 wr450 with all the free mods, and a few extra. I bought the bike used, it came with an FMF power bomb header and YZ muffler. I pulled the muffler and installed a Pro-Circuit 496 spark arrester to be legal in the woods of Michigan. Last fall at a CCC sponsored ride where they check sound levels - I failed! :naughty: :D After a little southern engineering, we were able to get it close enough that they let me go. Does anyone have any experience with this combo and sound levels? How about other exhaust systems which will keep the performance but not keep me above Michigan's sound laws? Thanks for your help
:naughty:

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted March 29, 2005 - 03:24 PM

whats the db for the sound level out there? 96,94?

• gdavis

Posted March 29, 2005 - 03:43 PM

94 db. which is pretty tough. Especially when the sound check guy is using a hand held tachometer tool and the guy who is measuring the sound levels isn't exactly sure how far away from the pipe he is supposed to be! :naughty:

• dirtr1der

Posted March 30, 2005 - 06:55 PM

Can't get my bike under 100dB without that damn WR insert for the GYTR exhaust. I wrapped so much packing around the spark arrestor, it barely fit into the silencer. My bike runs better without the insert, but I am taking it to the rites of spring ride next month to pass sound check.

What was the reading on your bike that the CCC was getting???

• Desracer

Posted March 30, 2005 - 10:55 PM

Try to find a new 05 muffler it flows pretty good and will meet your 94db level. Noise equals power but you cant ride because your too loud, riding is still better than not riding at all. My YZ pipe with a PMB tip was tested at 96db with some mods maybe it could pass at 94db? Its just nice to know you can go ride and pass any test. Good Luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gdavis

Posted March 31, 2005 - 06:48 AM

I think I was right around 100 also. We took the spark arrestor off and welded a washer inside the cone, put a little more packing in and I was around 96 so they let pass - that time! I'm also planning on the rites of spring ride and don't want to run into the same problem again. It would just be nice to know for sure what works. Testing seems to be the issue. I hand held tach can allow the rpm to vary so much while taking the sound reading that inaccuracy is almost inevitable. I have thought about setting my idle up for the sound test to make sure it is accurate, but don't have a way to check rpm, nor am I sure what rpm they use to check the sound level. :naughty:
Maybe we'll hook up at ROS and share sound check woes!

• djv5

Posted March 31, 2005 - 07:08 AM

I run the Yoshimura RS-3 Comp full system with the 94 db insert on my 2003 WR450f. It passed sound inspection testing at the trails near Baldwin, Michigan last summer.
I previously had a FMF PowerCore slip-on that seemed to be really loud, packing blew out after one season of riding. The Yosh system allows the use of 3 different exhuast plugs for different db ratings. This is called the TEC kit. It was an additional $40, and the full system cost around $400. Great performance gains when installed with a JD jet kit.

• kirkw

Posted March 31, 2005 - 04:54 PM

I run a FFM powerbomb SX and Q on my 00 400. I just barely pass at 96 here in CA with the same tyope equip. Been tested 4x and was 96db each time.

• dirtr1der

Posted April 01, 2005 - 11:50 AM

I think even with the GYT-R insert, the WR will still be too loud here. Its rated to knock the bike down to 96, not 94dB.

I may have to skip out on the CCC rides this year. :naughty:

I just don't want to put a new exhaust system on the bike if I don't have too. Too bad it's not a Harley, they seem to be exempt from noise violations.

Hey, anyone got an old Harley emblem? :naughty:

• doubledee

Posted April 02, 2005 - 10:16 AM

I run the FMF Q w/ the powerbomb header. Good power and under 96db. If you get the older 2004 and below model (NOT the new 2005 unit with the sealed rivet end cap) you can easily remove some of the internal sound restrictors to open it up when you want. Basically I have an "opened up" cut short version thats also drilled internally and an added screen spark arrestor out on my WR280 and a stock FMF Q on my WR400. :naughty: Yea, I'm a little type A.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.