Clutch fix for 03 450?

10 replies to this topic
  • PK

Posted March 29, 2005 - 10:15 AM

I bought my 03 450 a few weeks ago and have a question about the fixes for the clutch chattering/engagement problems that plagued the 03 450. The previous owner installed a Hinson clutch basket as well as an extra clutch plate from a 426 and the clutch works great. However there is too much slack in the clutch cable and I can't adjust it out. The cable is a stock yamaha one that is fairly new so it's not the cable. I'm wondering if because he installed the extra clutch plate, the extra thickness of the clutch pack is what causes the extra clutch cable slack? What is the fix for this? Should I pull out the extra clutch plate? Would having the Hinson basket be enough to keep the clutch from chattering? Thanks for the help...

• Ga426owner

Posted March 29, 2005 - 12:59 PM

I bought my 03 450 a few weeks ago and have a question about the fixes for the clutch chattering/engagement problems that plagued the 03 450. The previous owner installed a Hinson clutch basket as well as an extra clutch plate from a 426 and the clutch works great. However there is too much slack in the clutch cable and I can't adjust it out. The cable is a stock yamaha one that is fairly new so it's not the cable. I'm wondering if because he installed the extra clutch plate, the extra thickness of the clutch pack is what causes the extra clutch cable slack? What is the fix for this? Should I pull out the extra clutch plate? Would having the Hinson basket be enough to keep the clutch from chattering? Thanks for the help...

when you say " I can not adjust the slack out" give more detail - is it fully adj in, or out, at the top of the cable right before the perch? I never had to add extra clutch plate - I did the Yamaha fix - do a search on the 03 clutch fix here and the parts are listed - the kit is comprised of 02 426 clutch plates that replaces the bottom 03 clutch plate - I also drilled extra holes in the inner hub for more oil to get to the plates - per DRD instructions -
Several 03 owners just replaced entire 03 clutch with Hinson complete kit - inner hub, basket and pressure plate and their clutch plate kit. It is expensive but well worth the cost

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 29, 2005 - 02:35 PM

Its the Same fix for the 2000 426 Same exact Parts

Do a Search for 01 Clutch Fix and you will find your info

• DPW

Posted March 30, 2005 - 05:47 AM

Yamaha also sells a kit for the 450, HERE

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2005 - 08:15 AM

A Hinson or GYT-R pressure plate (both are Hinson parts) helps, too.

Several 03 owners just replaced entire 03 clutch with Hinson complete kit - inner hub, basket and pressure plate and their clutch plate kit. It is expensive but well worth the cost

Very definitely. Mine's the best clutch I've ever had on any motorcycle.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted March 30, 2005 - 11:52 AM

A Hinson or GYT-R pressure plate (both are Hinson parts) helps, too.

Very definitely. Mine's the best clutch I've ever had on any motorcycle.

GreyRacer - me again...did you go with the Hinson plates too or the GYTR? I am saving for this mod as I am still on stock clutch with 03 mod.... :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2005 - 04:02 PM

Yes. Actually, I didn't have to buy the stuff; it was there when I bought the bike. The thing is Hinson all the way through.

I've ridden '02's with a Hinson pressure plate and one with a pressure plate and basket, and an '03 with an '01 parts mod. They were all pretty nearly as nice as mine at normal temperatures. But what stands out to me is how much abuse the Hinson can take and just totally ignore it. I spent 15 minutes trying to make my YZ believe it was a WR in the switch backs and rubble of a sand wash turned canyon turned crevasse, to the point where the coolant boiled over, and the clutch never once complained. The freeplay changed very little, and returned to its original state in a few minutes after we were up and out. It's two fingers light on the pull, too.

• MxHuggy

Posted March 31, 2005 - 05:16 AM

I have installed the GYTR kit, but I did not use the longer acctuator that came with it. Do you guys know if this will be a problem. I thought a longer arm would make the pull more difficult so I decided to not use it.

Of course if it would stop raining/snowing here in NJ I could ride and see for myself!! :naughty:

• XXX_Thumper

Posted March 31, 2005 - 06:16 AM

Put the longer arm on. What it creates is a longer lever. This creates better leverage which equals easier pull. Think back to school. Shorter lever uses more energy to move a heavy object. Longer lever uses less energy to move the same object if you leave the fulcrum at the same point.

Simple mechanics. :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2005 - 09:15 AM

Put the longer arm on. What it creates is a longer lever. This creates better leverage which equals easier pull. Think back to school. Shorter lever uses more energy to move a heavy object. Longer lever uses less energy to move the same object if you leave the fulcrum at the same point.

Right
:naughty:

BTW, the GYT-R clutch parts are from Hinson.

• MxHuggy

Posted March 31, 2005 - 06:12 PM

thanks for the input boys!!!!!!

:naughty:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.